Apr 11, 2020
Visit site
hi, we are attempting to build out first gaming Pc and after 4 attempts it’s completely dead when we turn the power on. We thought it was the power supply but that works when we test it. We’re now wondering Whether it could be the motherboard? motherboard. Our PSU works when we did tests on it and when we plug it into the motherboard nothing happens and we are wondering what the issue is, is it the motherboard? The Motherboard is an Asus H310i plus. Please help! It’s taken hours and we’re at a loss as to what we’ve done wrong!

What state is the system in now in terms of assembly? What did you install, step by step?

What is the full list of components you are using? You can link to the product pages you bought the items from if that helps be exact.
i.e. not just "16gb Corsair RAM" but (e.g.) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMK16GX4M2B3000C15-Vengeance-Performance-Desktop/dp/B0134EW7G8/

Have you watched any video guides online of how to build a PC?
If so, which guides?

Have you attempted to "breadboard" the system. i.e. you connect only the motherboard, CPU, CPU cooler, RAM, and power supply - not on a case but on non-conductive surface - to see if it will "POST"?

Apr 11, 2020
Visit site
Thanks so much for your reply.
we’ve used the following -
I7 9700k
MSI RTX 2060 gaming z 6g
16gb Corsair vengenance 2666mhz
1tb WDD HDD
Corsair VS650 PSU
Coolermaster masterair MA410P RGB Cooler
Asus prime H310i-plus r2 mobo
USB- (for windows 10 installation) Sandisk white black 7 USA
Nzxt h210i

We watched the latest Techsource video on how to build a pc and also one from a guy who used the same case as us called joey Delgado

we haven’t tried the breadboard yet but is this easy to do?
Thank you

Apr 11, 2020
Visit site
Sorry we installed it in the following order -
CPU, Ram, then installed the Motherboard into the case, attached the power supply and case cable. Then the CPU cooler, hard drive and graphics card. Many thanks

What state is the system in now in terms of assembly? What did you install, step by step?

What is the full list of components you are using? You can link to the product pages you bought the items from if that helps be exact.
i.e. not just "16gb Corsair RAM" but (e.g.) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMK16GX4M2B3000C15-Vengeance-Performance-Desktop/dp/B0134EW7G8/

Have you watched any video guides online of how to build a PC?
If so, which guides?

Have you attempted to "breadboard" the system. i.e. you connect only the motherboard, CPU, CPU cooler, RAM, and power supply - not on a case but on non-conductive surface - to see if it will "POST"?

Did the motherboard packaging (the box, even the shrink wrap) have a sticker on it saying it supports 9th's gen / 8 core CPUs?

Or did the packaging indicate anywhere the BIOS version the motherboard shipped with?

Yes, it is easy to breadboard the thing. All it is is partially assembling the system, outside of the case. You can even use the motherboard box / antistatic bag as a non conductive surface if needed.

Apr 11, 2020
Visit site
Yes, it is easy to breadboard the thing. All it is is partially assembling the system, outside of the case. You can even use the motherboard box / antistatic bag as a non conductive surface if needed.
What’s supposed to happen when we do this? We’ve just tried and nothing happened at all?!

Breadboarding just means you can find out if something isnt working before you go to the trouble of putting it all in the case.

Can you take a picture of what you have and upload it as well. It might be that you have forgotten to plug in one of the motherboard power cables for example.

Reactions: Oussebon
Breadboarding is eliminating everything non-essential to see whether the system will POST. e.g. making sure there there isn't a problem like a short being caused by the case.

It’s says it supports 8th gen intel core processors. Thanks
H310 motherboards were released with 8th Gen CPUs. e.g. i7 8700k.

You have a 9th Gen CPU (9700k) which was released later on.

H310 motherboards needed an updated BIOS in order to run a 9th Gen CPU. New units of H310 motherboards made after the 9700k was released would have had that BIOS already updated when they left the factory. I think that motherboard makers often add stickers to the packaging to confirm it supports 9th Gen (ASRock did so, anyway). So if there's nothing to say it supports 9th Gen CPUs, it's possible you have one with an old BIOS that doesn't support the 9th Gen CPU.

Also, for some reason, Asus don't list any 95W TDP 9th Gen CPU on that motherboard's supported CPU list...
Only the 65W and 35W parts.
Whereas the non-R2 version of that mobo does list the 95W parts:

So your CPU isn't listed as a supported CPU on your motherboard either.

Reactions: Finngamer13
Apr 11, 2020
Visit site
Breadboarding is eliminating everything non-essential to see whether the system will POST. e.g. making sure there there isn't a problem like a short being caused by the case.

H310 motherboards needed an updated BIOS in order to run a 9th Gen CPU. New units of H310 motherboards made after the 9700k was released would have had that BIOS already updated when they left the factory. I think that motherboard makers often add stickers to the packaging to confirm it supports 9th Gen (ASRock did so, anyway). So if there's nothing to say it supports 9th Gen CPUs, it's possible you have one with an old BIOS that doesn't support the 9th Gen CPU.

Also, for some reason, Asus don't list any 95W TDP 9th Gen CPU on that motherboard's supported CPU list...

hi, so because it isn’t listed as a supported cpu is that why nothing will turn on or do anything at all?

Welp, I always thought of bread boarding as just as I said, never knew any different. Didnt know that the whole one stick of RAM business was called that, just thought of that as troubleshooting, heh.

Also entirely missed OPS post where they listed specs, so I'll just leave it there for today I think. Sorry OP.

EDIT however I do find it intruiging that the 9700 non K is listed as supported and the 9700K not. The motherboard itself should be getting power even its refusing to post because of a unrecognized CPU? That means fans should spin up and LEDs should come on does it not?

Last edited:
hi, so because it isn’t listed as a supported cpu is that why nothing will turn on or do anything at all?
I'm not sure tbh as it's not something I've ever tried.

I believe you'd expect to see some sign of life (an LED on the board for instance) if the mobo was getting power. Unfortunately it goes beyond my experience to say for sure, and if so whether it's something that you did, did't do, or a DOA component.

As @Kaamos_Llama says, can you post pics of what you've connected up?

Apr 11, 2020
Visit site
We’ve disconnected it now because it didn’t work when we tried bread boarding it.
So do you think we’d definitely get some sign of life even if it was incompatible? How can we find out for sure if it’s not compatible? It’s so frustrating that nothing has happened after 10 hours spent trying to make it work!
Which Motherboard would be compatible do you think?
spec we have again for reference
I7 9700k
MSI RTX 2060 gaming z 6g
16gb Corsair vengenance 2666mhz
1tb WDD HDD
Corsair VS650 PSU
Coolermaster masterair MA410P RGB Cooler
Asus prime H310i-plus r2 mobo
USB- (for windows 10 installation) Sandisk white black 7 USA
Nzxt h210i

Many thanks for all your help. Much appreciate

Apr 11, 2020
Visit site
Welp, I always thought of bread boarding as just as I said, never knew any different. Didnt know that the whole one stick of RAM business was called that, just thought of that as troubleshooting, heh.

Also entirely missed OPS post where they listed specs, so I'll just leave it there for today I think. Sorry OP.

EDIT however I do find it intruiging that the 9700 non K is listed as supported and the 9700K not. The motherboard itself should be getting power even its refusing to post because of a unrecognized CPU? That means fans should spin up and LEDs should come on does it not?
No nothing happens at all when we power it up. The CPU does work when we test it on it’s own so we know that’s ok and was why we thought it could be the motherboard?

I have never been in your situation either. I would say that the reason your board supports the 9700 and does not support the 9700K would be that the power delivery circuitry (VRM) on the motherboard cannot reliably handle the amount of power required for the higher clocked and therefore higher TDP 9700K. H310 is the low end chipset, meant really for office type machines that dont do too much hard work.

Could be you've already done something by trying to power it up. Have you checked the CPU in another machine since you tried to power it on?

Assuming the CPU is O.K (Check!) you should be able to use anything H370/Z370/Z390 of course youll need an ITX board with that case too. I'm assuming you wont overclock, too. If you will you'd want something a bit more robust and it would have to be a Z series.

Confirm with the supplier that any H/Z370 chipset you might order has the latest BIOS to support 9xxx series chips. Z390 would support it by default. As long as it has the other features you need (SATA ports, Fan ports, USB)

Apr 11, 2020
Visit site
I have never been in your situation either. I would say that the reason your board supports the 9700 and does not support the 9700K would be that the power delivery circuitry (VRM) on the motherboard cannot reliably handle the amount of power required for the higher clocked and therefore higher TDP 9700K. H310 is the low end chipset, meant really for office type machines that dont do too much hard work.

Could be you've already done something by trying to power it up. Have you checked the CPU in another machine since you tried to power it on?

Assuming the CPU is O.K (Check!) you should be able to use anything H370/Z370/Z390 of course youll need an ITX board with that case too. I'm assuming you wont overclock, too. If you will you'd want something a bit more robust and it would have to be a Z series.

Confirm with the supplier that any H/Z370 chipset you might order has the latest BIOS to support 9xxx series chips. Z390 would support it by default. As long as it has the other features you need (SATA ports, Fan ports, USB)
Thank you so much for your reply. We don’t have anywhere to check the CPU so can’t do that annoyingly. Do you think a new Motherboard like you’ve suggested will make it work? Will they be loads more expensive? Really appreciate your help thanks

I'm sorry, its impossible for me to say whether it will work or not. Its possible the CPU is damaged, its also possible the motherboard was simply DOA. In any case you'd have to get a new board to try it out, or find a friend with one you could borrow.

Your cheapest option is another H310 board. The Gigabyte H310N lists official support for the 9700K, and the VRM looks a notch up from the Asus although it still has no heatsinks, which isnt the best. I wouldnt trust it over a long period of time with a higher end CPU like yours personally.

I would recommend you went for at least a H370 board, like this one.

Here it is on Jimms, if you're actually a Finngamer :D

Much better power delivery, less chance of failure over its lifetime. Review here

Again, ensure that the BIOS has been updated by the supplier when you order.

I hope it works out for you!

Apr 11, 2020
Visit site
Thank you very much. We’re in the Uk, where would you recommend buying it from? Scan doesn’t sell
It anymore. Really appreciate your help again! It’s a minefield!!!
we don’t have anyone close that we can borrow stuff from to test at the moment which is frustrating.

Amazon, Overclockers.co.uk, Novatech are all in UK. I understand the frustration! I used to use Alternate.co.uk as well, they are a german based site but deliver there too. The Asrock model I suggested is a good option for a cheaper model, I'd really advise against a H310 board for your chip.

TRENDING THREADS