Build turns on but no display & no power to keyboard / mouse

Nov 21, 2022
Visit site
Hey all,

I recently upgraded my build. Nearly everything was changed with the exception of the PSU, SSD and Hard Drive. The first time the PC was built (back in 2017) someone helped me out, but this time I was on my own figuring it out.

The issue I'm having is that although the PC/Motherboard/Fan pump turn on, there's no display. There also seems to be no power going to the keyboard or mouse— their LEDs don't turn on.

It also seems that after a while the PC turns itself off, though maybe that has to do with the fact the computer is not being interacted with.

Here's my new set up:
Here's my old set up:
CPU: INTEL INTEL I7-12700KCPU: INTEL I5-8700
RAM: G.SKILL 32G 2X D4 3200 C16 RJ RAM PATRIOT VIPER STEEL DDR4 8GB 3000MHz
MOBO: ASUS TUF GAMING Z690PLUS WF D4 MOBO: AORUS Z370 GAMING 5
FAN: LIANLI GALAHAD 240 BLACK AIO FAN: Intel I3 I5 I7 LGAs
VGA: RTX 3060 TI VGA: GTX 970
PSU: CORSAIR RM850x=
SSD: WD 500GB =
HDD: TOSHIBA 1TB=

I have read that using an old SSD / HDD could potentially affect the computer booting, but it doesn't make sense that signal and keyboard/mouse connection would be affected by this. I'm sort of wondering if maybe I plugged something incorrectly in the front panel, but I'd like to hear some ideas / suggestions before I get home so I can troubleshoot some more.

I did plug the monitor to the video card, though I used an HDMI cable (again, not that it should affect the fact the mouse and keys are not responding).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Does your PC sound like it turns on, the fans go, lights come on inside? I would try different mouses/keyboards, if they dont respond as well it could be a bad mobo. Id also try different hdmi or display port chords and see if the monitor turns on that way. You could also make re-inspect your connections/chords etc. and make sure they are good etc.

It also seems that after a while the PC turns itself off, though maybe that has to do with the fact the computer is not being interacted with.

No, if the pc had booted to windows, regardless of the monitor not working, it would still sit at the windows login.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Nov 21, 2022
Visit site
Does your PC sound like it turns on, the fans go, lights come on inside? I would try different mouses/keyboards, if they dont respond as well it could be a bad mobo. Id also try different hdmi or display port chords and see if the monitor turns on that way. You could also make re-inspect your connections/chords etc. and make sure they are good etc.

No, if the pc had booted to windows, regardless of the monitor not working, it would still sit at the windows login.

PC turns on, all lights (mobo, fans, LEDs) turn on

Are mobos usually faulty when newly purchased?

Are there other connections besides the 24-pin one that ensure power to those outputs? I can't figure out why everything would turn on and sound like it's running, yet no power feeding into those back panel ports.

PC turns on, all lights (mobo, fans, LEDs) turn on

Are mobos usually faulty when newly purchased?

Are there other connections besides the 24-pin one that ensure power to those outputs? I can't figure out why everything would turn on and sound like it's running, yet no power feeding into those back panel ports.

If you try multiple keyboards/mice on those ports and nothing happens, it could just be something with those connections and yes motherboards due sometimes ship DOA and you have to get an RMA on it, but thats an extreme case.

Nov 21, 2022
Visit site
If you try multiple keyboards/mice on those ports and nothing happens, it could just be something with those connections and yes motherboards due sometimes ship DOA and you have to get an RMA on it, but that's an extreme case.

Gotcha. I will go home, troubleshoot, and give an update later today. Thank you for the quick response.

Nov 21, 2022
Visit site
Gotcha. I will go home, troubleshoot, and give an update later today. Thank you for the quick response.

FIXED:

After a few hours of troubleshooting, I got signal, and mouse/keyboard work. Here is everything I tried:

1. Removed CMOS battery.
I figured this couldn't really affect much, since the mobo was new, but I did it anyway. After like 5 minutes I put it back in the mobo.

2. Removed / Cleaned / Reinstalled RAM:
I noticed one of the cards felt a bit loose, and I had also noticed that the mobo had a light indicator that I later learned had to do with issues in the RAM slot. I removed both, cleaned with isopropyl and a cotton ball, air dusted the slots, and carefully reinserted making sure both slots locked the cards.

After this, I tried to run the PC again, but still no signal. So I continued:

3. Changed the SATA connector slot
May sound silly, but it's just something I did out of trying new things. essentially the SATA power cable has multiple slots to connect to, I switched it from one to the other one available.

4. Changed the PCIE cable
Similar to the SATA cable, I had 2 options for PCIE to connect to my VGA. I switched to the other one available.

5. Changed the PLED connection
Finally (and what I think actually did it) was the PLED connection. The mobo guide gives multiple options as to where to plug your PLED + and PLED - connections. Initially I had selected one very close to the PWRSW connection, so I switched them to the alternative PLEDs per the manual.

At this point, I got signal! But there was one issue with the fans:

6. Changed the CPU fan location:
The temperature readings were high, and one of the fans was not working properly. I unplugged the power, let the PC rest, and tried again. At this point the display prompted me with a message to change the CPU fan connector. I had connected both CPU Fan and AIO Pump connectors right next to each other per manual's recommendation, but I guess that wasn't working. When I changed the CPU fan to the one at the top of the mobo, everything ran with no issues.

Every now and then one of the LED Fans doesn't light up, but it still works fine. Must be the connector, and I'll tackle that later, but I'm just glad it works.

• Love
Jan 16, 2023
Visit site
I am having the exact same issues as the original poster.

I recently upgraded and held onto the PSU, GPU and cooler from my previous PC which was working fine but was well dated.

I have tried all of the posters recommendations but to no avail.

I have upgraded from an i5 4670k to a i5 13600kf
The new mobo is NZXT N7 Z690
I purchased new DDR 4 Corsair Vengeance RAM 2 x 16GB.
I am reusing my 1070 in this build.
I am also reusing my corsair AX760 PSU.

The PC boots as the original poster says. All lights etc appear to be working but I cannot get display on various monitors. I know the GPU works, it was working earlier. Unfortunately the KF doesn't have on board graphics but I didn't envisage this as an issue.

I have taken the DDR 4 Ram from my old build but no difference. I have also tried to replace the cmos battery from the old mobo but same result.

As the posters fix was to change the PLED connections I just tried to boot without these entirely but still no display.

I'd greatly appreciate any other suggestions.

Mar 9, 2024
Visit site
I am having the exact same issues as the original poster.

I recently upgraded and held onto the PSU, GPU and cooler from my previous PC which was working fine but was well dated.

I have tried all of the posters recommendations but to no avail.

I have upgraded from an i5 4670k to a i5 13600kf
The new mobo is NZXT N7 Z690
I purchased new DDR 4 Corsair Vengeance RAM 2 x 16GB.
I am reusing my 1070 in this build.
I am also reusing my corsair AX760 PSU.

The PC boots as the original poster says. All lights etc appear to be working but I cannot get display on various monitors. I know the GPU works, it was working earlier. Unfortunately the KF doesn't have on board graphics but I didn't envisage this as an issue.

I have taken the DDR 4 Ram from my old build but no difference. I have also tried to replace the cmos battery from the old mobo but same result.

As the posters fix was to change the PLED connections I just tried to boot without these entirely but still no display.

I'd greatly appreciate any other suggestions.
i have the exact same problem and tried same problem also pled in my build everything worked fine i had the american megatrends on screen and then turned it off the next day i wanted to install windows and the pc just wont give display anymore and mouse and keyboard dont light up

TRENDING THREADS