PC turns on but no display (sometimes it works just fine randomly)

May 22, 2023
Visit site
I'm facing a very odd issue

My specs are
Aorus Elite B550M (used it for over a month)
Ryzen 5 5600 (non x) (used it for over a month)
RX 5700xt (Newely upgraded from GTX 950)
Cooler master 650w v2 MWE 80+ Bronze (Newely upgraded from CM 350w ELITE)
2x8GB ram asgard 3200mhz cl18 (used it for over a month)
4gen nvme (512gb used it for over a month)

I most of the time been having no display but my pc turns on, fans & rgb (besides mouse & keyboard)

I tried:

Resetting CMOS battery
Restarting multiple times
Changing some settings in bios after the few rare times the pc booted up
Reseating rams

When I shutdown my pc I have to try multiple times before and it always takes very long like 2mns to 20mns it turns on (in windows it says 35s for bios time but it can be up to 20 minutes)
When I restart it boots up instantly (4.4sec in windows task manager)

I can't really figure out the problem I'm so terrified because where I live the idea of warranties & RMA's is just non existent, can any one provide a solution. I asked my friend to try my parts on his pc but he refused I have no options please help me.

May 22, 2023
Visit site
I have sold my older parts to afford the new one

I can't really try. Sometimes my PC turns on but the"first startup takes from anywhere around 30s to 20minutes.

When I stress test ram, CPU, GPU I get no problems. I managed to play RE2 & RE4 REMAKES without problems.

I'm just baffled about not being able to turn it on.

Reactions: Brian Boru
I'd suspect that RAM being hinky as Ryzen can be fussy and I bet its not on the QVL, but if you used it for some time with no problems before thats much less likely.

Did you do a fresh windows install when you upgraded CPU and RAM? Any red warning lights on the motherboard when it doesnt work?

May 22, 2023
Visit site
B550m aorus elite doesn't have lights...

I did a fresh Install month ago for win11 and I installed win10 two days ago and again today. It isn't the problem...

As I said my pc works fine except for the first turn on. It's the only thing that's bothering me..

I tried using ultra fast boot. It decreased times from hours to within an hour. Yet it's still very long and unacceptable. Very random aswell(it can be normal and turn on in 12secs but most of the time I have to retry a lot).

Nothing -> Aorus logo (30s-20/30mn)
Aorus logo -> Desktop (3s-5s)

Thats why I suspect RAM, at power on the system performs a lot of memory tests, and if there's some small instability with lower timings it can cause all sorts of weird problems. AFAIK part of enabling fast boot is stopping the computer training (auto stability testing) memory as much, so that may kind of make sense.

Have you installed the latest chipset drivers from the Gigabyte website?

Also have you tried reflashing the system BIOS to the latest? There will be instructions in your manual, you should be able to use a USB flash drive to do it, flashing is perfectly safe from inside the BIOS as long as you follow the proper instructions, dont try and use any in Windows software to do it.

May 22, 2023
Visit site
I can record a
Thats why I suspect RAM, at power on the system performs a lot of memory tests, and if there's some small instability with lower timings it can cause all sorts of weird problems. AFAIK part of enabling fast boot is stopping the computer training (auto stability testing) memory as much, so that may kind of make sense.

Have you installed the latest chipset drivers from the Gigabyte website?

Also have you tried reflashing the system BIOS to the latest? There will be instructions in your manual, you should be able to use a USB flash drive to do it, flashing is perfectly safe from inside the BIOS as long as you follow the proper instructions, dont try and use any in Windows software to do it.

Hey, my motherboard is B550M-AORUS-ELITE rev 1.3 I have the latest drivers possible (Version FC)

I went to a nearby shop borrowed rams and the same issue happened, all ram slots worked

When the pc finally booted in those few times, I used Memtest64 for 2 loops and I had 0 errors.

So I guess the rams are not the issue here..

I had already downloaded the latest chipset drivers aswell, yet they didn't fix it for me :(

Just a hunch, but are you shutting the machine down fully and not hibernating it? You have tried switching the machine off at the PSU fully in between boots?

It could be something to do with a BIOS setting relating to sleep states but im out of my depth with the particulars there.

There are a lot more eyes over at Toms Hardware forum, maybe try starting a thread there and linking to this one so people can see whats been happening.

The fact everything works fine after it boots is postive, hopefully its an easy fix that someone else knows. Sorry I couldnt be of more help

May 22, 2023
Visit site
Just a hunch, but are you shutting the machine down fully and not hibernating it? You have tried switching the machine off at the PSU fully in between boots?

It could be something to do with a BIOS setting relating to sleep states but im out of my depth with the particulars there.

There are a lot more eyes over at Toms Hardware forum, maybe try starting a thread there and linking to this one so people can see whats been happening.

The fact everything works fine after it boots is postive, hopefully its an easy fix that someone else knows. Sorry I couldnt be of more help
Thanks for being around at least..

I have hibernation files deleted and I reset CMOS many times so. It surely isn't that.

I'll do. Thanks for the suggestion.

May 22, 2023
Visit site
Title says it all

My pc doesn't turn on sometimes.

This is just a refresh for my older thread here since people ignored it.

May 22, 2023
Visit site
After further diagnosis. I replaced every part possible in another PC to test... and the source of the issue seems to be the motherboard.

Right below CPU COOLER backplate, I found a loose part and a scratch on the motherboard could it be fixable? the pc posts, just after many tries.

I know you told me not to post here, but I wanted to let you guys know In case :)
IMG_20230701_151515.jpg

TRENDING THREADS