Best CPU s with RTX 2060

Apr 22, 2020
Visit site
Hi!
I have an i5-6400. Just bought my new RTX 2060. Can you recommend me a CPU that runs grealty with the GPU since i5-6400 seems to be not strong enough. Btw if you suggest a CPU then also please say which motberboards go with it cuz probably my old MoBo isnt good enough. Current motherboard is H110M PRO-VD PLUS aka MS-7A15.
Any help would be appreciated! :)

Apr 22, 2020
Visit site
Why do you feel your i5 6400 is not good enough?

What games are you playing, and at what resolution / settings? And what problems are you having?

What country and currency are you shopping in, and what is your rough budget?

What is the full spec of your system?
Hey!
Don't go judge me about what games i play;). In Fortnite, on low settings i have about 100-120 fps, but it has like HUGE framedrops to even 1 or 2 fps. Even if i limit fps to 60 or 30 the framedrops stay. In Overwatch, i don't have anything really to grumble about, except for little mini stutters sometimes. In minecraft idk why but i just have only 50-70 fps :/, on low or high settings, doesn't matter. Also in task manager, while i play games, the CPU usage is always almost 100% and GPU usage is about 40-60%, depends on which settibgs i use. Oh also, every game i run on 1920x1080.
So my specs are
CPU: i5-6400
GPU: RTX 2060
MoBo: H110M PRO-VD PLUS
RAM: 2x8GB, GSkill, can't remember 3000 or 3200 Mhz, but my MoBo limits the RAMspeed to 2133 Mhz
Monitor: Samsung S23E450, 1080x1920, 60 Hz
Power supply: 650W
Disk space: two harddrives, one is SSD(256GB), other one is HDD(1TB), Fortnite that i seem to have most problems with is on SSD
Internet: I use ethernet 3,5MB/s symmetrical (30Mbit/s)

It strikes me as odd that you'd be seeing 100% CPU usage - even in those games.

Were you getting the 100% CPU usage before the GPU upgrade?

According to task manager, what processes use the CPU during games?

What case do you have? (it would affect what motherboard you could upgrade to).

When you installed your new GPU, did you use DDU to remove the old drivers before installing the new GPU and its drivers?

Reactions: Zoid
Apr 22, 2020
Visit site
It strikes me as odd that you'd be seeing 100% CPU usage - even in those games.

Were you getting the 100% CPU usage before the GPU upgrade?

According to task manager, what processes use the CPU during games?

What case do you have? (it would affect what motherboard you could upgrade to).

When you installed your new GPU, did you use DDU to remove the old drivers before installing the new GPU and its drivers?
Hey!
The thing is, I don't recall having stutters and fps drops in games (especially Fortnite), of course the graphics werent so good, so i think that the CPU usage wasn't 100% before upgrade.
Under CPU usage there is thegameiplay, launcherforthegameiplay, gdrive(doesn't take much power), Antivirus, system.
I have MicroATX-Case.
The installation was done by the guys in the store, they seem to know what they were doing.
I live in Europe, use € and my budget is about 400-600€.

Run DDU and then clean install the latest Nvidia drivers.

Can you post a screenshot of your task manager? upload to something like imgur and link here

In general, I think we need to carefully rule out all software and driver causes before sending you out to buy hundreds of € of new hardware :)

Reactions: Zoid
Apr 22, 2020
Visit site
Run DDU and then clean install the latest Nvidia drivers.

Can you post a screenshot of your task manager? upload to something like imgur and link here

In general, I think we need to carefully rule out all software and driver causes before sending you out to buy hundreds of € of new hardware
Hey!
I will be dealing with this all tomorrow! I'll post here if i have anything you wanted! Btw what the hell is DDU? Any tutorial vids?

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
Hey!
I will be dealing with this all tomorrow! I'll post here if i have anything you wanted! Btw what the hell is DDU? Any tutorial vids?

"Display Driver Uninstaller"

There's a recommended usage on the site, you can follow that (it suggests you save the steps on your pc if you're going to disconnect your internet).

Reactions: Oussebon
Apr 22, 2020
Visit site
As above - I already linked it in one my my previous posts
Hey!
I did the DDU uninstallation through the safemode and installed the driver again. Here's theink for almost 70% of CPU usage, before when i booted up the game, CPU stayed on 99-100% for like 5 mins, then it came down a bit.
heres the link: https://pasteboard.co/J56ZZ5b.jpg
after all this my fps are still even lower than they were with the old GPU (a bit) and CPU stays quite high. :(
when i launched minecraft: https://pasteboard.co/J5740OF.jpg

Last edited:
CPUs can have very high CPU usage on game launch, that's not strange in itself - you generally expect it to go down in gameplay.

I did the DDU uninstallation through the safemode and installed the driver again. Here's theink for almost 70% of CPU usage, before when i booted up the game, CPU stayed on 99-100% for like 5 mins, then it came down a bit.

Are you saying there is now less CPU usage during games? So before you used DDU, Overwatch was at 100% CPU load, but now only goes to ~60%

What was your old GPU?

Apr 22, 2020
Visit site
CPUs can have very high CPU usage on game launch, that's not strange in itself - you generally expect it to go down in gameplay.

Are you saying there is now less CPU usage during games? So before you used DDU, Overwatch was at 100% CPU load, but now only goes to ~60%

What was your old GPU?
Ayo!
Nah the CPU usage is same it was before. In the beginning of games ~100% afterwards 60-80%, only fortnite stays 90-100% all the time.GPU hovers around 20-40% all the time i game. My old GPU was GTX 960.
ty for help :)

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020
Visit site

What was your old GPU?
Hey!
Any further help?

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
Uhm just checking, have you set your RTX2060 as videocard instead of the integraded graphics of your CPU? Could it be that your CPU is using so much because it's using the Intel HD graphics rather than your RTX?

Here's theink for almost 70% of CPU usage, before when i booted up the game, CPU stayed on 99-100% for like 5 mins, then it came down a bit.

I'm still not totally clear what is actually happening.

Do you mean the CPU usage was 100% for 5 minutes before you loaded the game? Could you explain a bit more fully? :)

Perhaps in any event, I would suggest a clean Windows install before buying new hardware. You'll need to do a clean Windows install anyway if you upgrade the CPU, so you lose nothing by doing it once now.

Make an installation media here (assuming Windows 10)
Download Windows 10
Boot from the USB. During the installation process, choose a custom install, and delete all partitions on your OS drive so that all that is left is "unallocated space". The install the OS onto that empty drive. There's a guide here:
That will of course make you lose your files and downloaded games, so you will want to back up anything you need to keep first.

Once you've installed Windows, install nothing except the game client and the game itself, and if necessary the GPU drivers downloaded directly from the Nvidia site. No other software of any kind. See what happens.

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
If you go to settings --> Display --> Advanced Display Settings --> Display Adapter Properties, does it tell you if you're using your GTX2060 or not? Or have you checked your Nvidia control panel to double check it's using the RTX2060 there over your integraded graphics?

Another option to make sure is disabling the Intel graphics in Device Manager. I really feel like that might be the issue because your CPU should be able to handing Overwatch totally fine. I installed Overwatch on my Ryzen 3600 (I know it's a different CPU) but only during first time opening it was at 70% usage, after that it diddn't go much over 20%.

Apr 22, 2020
Visit site
I'm still not totally clear what is actually happening.

Do you mean the CPU usage was 100% for 5 minutes before you loaded the game? Could you explain a bit more fully?

Perhaps in any event, I would suggest a clean Windows install before buying new hardware. You'll need to do a clean Windows install anyway if you upgrade the CPU, so you lose nothing by doing it once now.

Make an installation media here (assuming Windows 10)
Download Windows 10
Boot from the USB. During the installation process, choose a custom install, and delete all partitions on your OS drive so that all that is left is "unallocated space". The install the OS onto that empty drive. There's a guide here:
That will of course make you lose your files and downloaded games, so you will want to back up anything you need to keep first.

Once you've installed Windows, install nothing except the game client and the game itself, and if necessary the GPU drivers downloaded directly from the Nvidia site. No other software of any kind. See what happens.
Hey!
So, if my PC just is on my table and for example i text or watch youtube, CPU is like 20-40%, GPU is like 5-20%. If i start up a game CPU goes to 90-100%, and GPU goes to 30-40%. So after ten minutes of playing the CPU goes down a bit to like 70-80%(except Fortnite, it stays up there or goes even to stable 99-100%), and GPU stays at 30 or 40%.
Hope the text gave you a better angle of my problem. Ty dor help :D!

CPU/GPU usage is tricky. if the CPU is under relatively low load, it will reduce its frequencies to save power. That means the light work it is doing looks like a bigger % of its load. If the CPU is running e.g. 800MHz, google chrome might be 20% of the CPU usage. But if it's running 3200MHz, it might only be 5% usage. Same with the GPU.

So 40% CPU usage on idle could be huge, or it could be about normal, depending on whether the CPU frequency is low or high...

What are the CPU and GPU temperatures during gaming?

Apr 22, 2020
Visit site
CPU/GPU usage is tricky. if the CPU is under relatively low load, it will reduce its frequencies to save power. That means the light work it is doing looks like a bigger % of its load. If the CPU is running e.g. 800MHz, google chrome might be 20% of the CPU usage. But if it's running 3200MHz, it might only be 5% usage. Same with the GPU.

So 40% CPU usage on idle could be huge, or it could be about normal, depending on whether the CPU frequency is low or high...

What are the CPU and GPU temperatures during gaming?
Hey!
When gaming my GPU temp is like 40-55°C and CPU is 55-70°C, also when gaming CPU clock is 3,1-3,2 Ghz and RAM speed is 2133 Mhz.

Well it doesn't sound like thermal throttling. And the CPU clocks sound normal.

To be honest, I would try a clean Windows install as above. Your CPU usage sounds very high - as in, above what it ought to be from what you describe. If there's a process running on your system that shouldn't be and is causing the high CPU usage, a clean install would almost always get rid of it.

Since you'll need to do that process anyway if you were to upgrade the CPU, you don't lose anything by trying.

Apr 22, 2020
Visit site
Well it doesn't sound like thermal throttling. And the CPU clocks sound normal.

To be honest, I would try a clean Windows install as above. Your CPU usage sounds very high - as in, above what it ought to be from what you describe. If there's a process running on your system that shouldn't be and is causing the high CPU usage, a clean install would almost always get rid of it.

Since you'll need to do that process anyway if you were to upgrade the CPU, you don't lose anything by trying.
Hey!
The clean install is done, everything seems same, problems stay :(. So how about new CPU, I'm pretty sure i have some pennys left for this so go ahead and suggest a CPU for my build!
Here are my specs
i5-6400
RTX 2060
Motherboard: H110M PRO VD-PLUS
RAM; 2133MHz(thats mobo limit, the ram itself is 3200Mhz
also thats what i wanted to ask, if i get a new CPU, should i go for a new MoBo also? for quicker RAM?
Ty for help: D

TRENDING THREADS