Baldur's Gate 3 Playthrough Discussion

Page 3 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
The game is way more snackable then I imagined it would be, which is great as I'm really busy right now and only get an hour or half here and there free. Only managed 6 hours all told so far.

Really wish I could have a party of 6, I already have 5 companions and I dont want to drop any of them. Hopefully I can see all the companion side quests through in one playthrough.

Did anyone take the Dark Urge? I'm guessing thats the reason so many are going evil according to the stats. I get the feeling I'll be playing through a few times over time with this one, so saved it for later.

Well to be fair, a DnD 4th lvl 2ed was allmost a child which is not the case in 5th ed :p
The different ruleset was definitely one reason. Also, the fact that your party in BG2 didn't discover the Underdark until much later in the game, whereas in BG3 it's in Act 1. Your party members in BG2, are much higher in level as a result, leading to higher level enemies. The level cap in BG2 was also much higher than the level 12 in BG3.

I think the game design decision to have the Underdark in Chapter 1 in BG3 works out well, better than it would be if in later chapters. I'm currently in the Underdark and find it fun to explore and with a good balance of challenges for a level 4-5 party.

CRC3Nef.jpg

Really wish I could have a party of 6, I already have 5 companions and I dont want to drop any of them. Hopefully I can see all the companion side quests through in one playthrough.
I do miss having a party of 6, but I don't think it would work the way BG3 is designed. Partially because of combat balance, and partially because some areas you'll find yourself in can be kind of cramped, and fitting six people in might be a problem. Having only 4 makes it more challenging on knowing who to take, depending upon what situation you might be heading into.

I do think it will be possible to see through all the different companion quest lines if you talk to them all back at camp, as well as take them all out on your travels. Plus it's fun to hear how different combinations of them flirt, argue, and talk to each other. Getting their influence meters up to good levels will help too. Very similar to how Dragon Age Origins approached it.

Their questlines are simple either. I'm still only in chapter 1, but the each of their quests seem like it will stretch out of the entire game (or close to it). You uncover those quests and advance them in bits & pieces which is kept track of in your journal.

Did anyone take the Dark Urge? I'm guessing thats the reason so many are going evil according to the stats. I get the feeling I'll be playing through a few times over time with this one, so saved it for later.
No, I'm staying away from the Dark Urge in my first playthrough at least, mainly because I'm one of those good-type characters, and I want to see if there's any result from completely avoiding it. There's so many nuances and choices in this game that the replayability of this game is going to be huge.

I do miss having a party of 6, but I don't think it would work the way BG3 is designed. Partially because of combat balance, and partially because some areas you'll find yourself in can be kind of cramped, and fitting six people in might be a problem. Having only 4 makes it more challenging on knowing who to take, depending upon what situation you might be heading into.

I do think it will be possible to see through all the different companion quest lines if you talk to them all back at camp, as well as take them all out on your travels. Plus it's fun to hear how different combinations of them flirt, argue, and talk to each other. Getting their influence meters up to good levels will help too. Very similar to how Dragon Age Origins approached it.

Their questlines are simple either. I'm still only in chapter 1, but the each of their quests seem like it will stretch out of the entire game (or close to it). You uncover those quests and advance them in bits & pieces which is kept track of in your journal.

No, I'm staying away from the Dark Urge in my first playthrough at least, mainly because I'm one of those good-type characters, and I want to see if there's any result from completely avoiding it. There's so many nuances and choices in this game that the replayability of this game is going to be huge.
Yea I just would like to have a party of 6 bantering and it kind of stops me taking both a heavy melee damage dealer and a tank which I found annoying in Divinity Original sin as well, old habits I know.

I'm taking my time in this one for now, so hopefully I'll get through a lot of the quests. I dont think you can keep everyone happy so I was wondering how much that would affect things.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Forgive me, but I won’t read the previous posts, because I want to keep my playthrough as spoiler-free as possible. :)

I decided to completely avoid save scumming. If a dice roll is bad I don’t reload. I accept every possible outcome even if it means combat. The only situation I allow a dice re-roll is when I’m defeated in a fight. It’s because sometimes it would be very hard to get the same outcome. It would require a lot of reloads.

I also don’t check alternative quest outcomes. I try to accept every possible decision in the game. I will regret some of them for sure, but it’s very entertaining when every choice in the game has unavoidable consequences. I’m not kidding! :D I really play the game like this and plan to do so until the very end.

Forgive me, but I won’t read the previous posts, because I want to keep my playthrough as spoiler-free as possible. :)

I decided to completely avoid save scumming. If a dice roll is bad I don’t reload. I accept every possible outcome even if it means combat. The only situation I allow a dice re-roll is when I’m defeated in a fight. It’s because sometimes it would be very hard to get the same outcome. It would require a lot of reloads.

I also don’t check alternative quest outcomes. I try to accept every possible decision in the game. I will regret some of them for sure, but it’s very entertaining when every choice in the game has unavoidable consequences. I’m not kidding! :D I really play the game like this and plan to do so until the very end.
I'm with you, only loading saves on party wipe, only happened once so far.

is it good or not i hear some negativ comment about this game
I am only just starting act 2 but so far Game of the Year is not enough, i'd say its the best game in atleast the past decade. My opinion ofc :)
It got the highest rating for a major game release than I've seen in a long time. It's definitely looks like the Game of the Year, as I don't see any other game release that comes close. As much as I'm still looking forward to Starfield, BG3 is just so complex and massive that I don't see anyone beating it this year.

Sorry if I included anything that was a spoiler, I'm trying really hard to avoid that. Sometimes it's difficult to know what's considered to be a spoiler and what would be considered common knowledge of the game; stuff that has been in the press before.

If a dice roll is bad I don’t reload.
I don't either for conversations, I just take it as it happens. Some have turned out peaceful, others not so much. Besides have the right person talking can make a difference, depending upon what you're trying to achieve. There's also usually enough buffs to give you a shot anyway. Plus inspiration points if you've collected any.

But I do save scum, and I will reload for a bad combat outcome. And I've had several where I was wiped out early in the first couple of rounds. But it makes me rethink my battle plans, and I'll often find a different method that makes a certain battle more in my favor.

I mainly savescum when I forget that my companions walk in an insanely stupid way and set off bombs that kill the entire team. You can control some of the movement with the turn-based mode, who goes first or just unchain the group, but, seriously, it's like the majority of your companions walks like they have been already lobotomized by the mind flayers.

I mainly savescum when I forget that my companions walk in an insanely stupid way and set off bombs that kill the entire team. You can control some of the movement with the turn-based mode, who goes first or just unchain the group, but, seriously, it's like the majority of your companions walks like they have been already lobotomized by the mind flayers.
Hey there is a trap! OHH! Let me look closer! Maybe it wants a friend? Friend want hug? BOOM! kinda like how they behave around traps :p

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Sorry if I included anything that was a spoiler, I'm trying really hard to avoid that. Sometimes it's difficult to know what's considered to be a spoiler and what would be considered common knowledge of the game; stuff that has been in the press before.
I don’t know if there was a spoiler. :) It’s not that I’ve read some post and then decided not to read the rest because there was one. I decided not to read them at all. ;) I prefer even not to have information on what type of location you visit in some moment of the game. The less I know the better. :D

Reactions: Pifanjr and mainer
Only got 7 hours so far, and the way I was playing, that probably amounts to two hours for anyone else.

I just
talked to Nettie, the Druid healer

But I've decided just to relax and play and whatever happens, happens. Game was stressing me out thinking I was missing things. Not going to worry about that anymore, so hopefully I'll get more enjoyment out of it.

it's like the majority of your companions walks like they have been already lobotomized by the mind flayers
Immediate flashback to 2 Harvesters dancing on a bridge in C&C in '95—some things have legs :D

I decided not to read them at all
Having read 60+ so far—and I don't even intend to ever play the game!—you definitely made a wise choice :p

But I've decided just to relax and play and whatever happens, happens. Game was stressing me out thinking I was missing things. Not going to worry about that anymore, so hopefully I'll get more enjoyment out of it.
There aren't any timed quests, or a need to rush and do certain things, as you can pretty much go your own pace and do things in whatever order you want. There was one quest I was doing, but the combat was way over my character level (my party was level 3, most enemies were level 5), so I had to drop that for awhile and go do other quest lines so I could come back at a higher level.

The only real way you'll miss things/quests is if you decide not to do them, or choose not to explore all the map. There are quite a few side quests, and a few of them are huge, and take place in areas that you wouldn't see otherwise. They're completely optional, but they're really interesting, usually have magical items to find, and gets you experience. It can also make a difference in who you take with you.

There aren't any timed quests, or a need to rush and do certain things, as you can pretty much go your own pace and do things in whatever order you want.
I have encountered a timed quest, so while I am sure they are few and far between, they are definitely there.
The timed quest is the one with you saving Nera and the gnomes. If you decide to long sleep a couple of times with the quest active, she and the gnomes die from the gas.

Last edited:
I have encountered a timed quest, so while I am sure they are few and far between, they are definitely there.
The timed quest is the one with you saving Nera and the gnomes. If you decide to long sleep a couple of times with the quest active, she and the gnomes die from the gas.
Happend to me aswell, the world keeps going when you rest so there are a coupple of quests this can happen to. Bit annoying but ah well.

Happend to me aswell, the world keeps going when you rest so there are a coupple of quests this can happen to. Bit annoying but ah well.
Lo and behold, after making that post, then playing BG3 fora few hours I actually came across a timed quest. Figures. The entire quest wasn't timed, but when you get to a certain point the clock starts ticking. I have no idea how long you have, but if you go do something else, you fail. There's a sense of urgency implied in the quest description, but I didn't really believe that there was a time limit. I ended up loading an earlier save, as I didn't want to fail this particular quest.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
A few thoughts about playing a Sorcerer. Unfortunately this class was heavily nerfed when you compare it to 3E and 3.5E. It has the same number of spells per day as a Wizard, but can't learn them from scrolls. The number of spells received on level up is laughable. The only advantages of this class are Metamagic feats received without using feat slots and high Charisma, which allows you to pass Diplomacy checks without problems. I'm not sure whether I'd take this class with the knowledge I have after playing it up to level 5. Two Fireballs in one round via Quicken Spell are nice, but the character versatility suffers greatly. You need to strictly specialize it. Damn, it should at least have more spells per day than Wizard. No idea why 5E nerfed the class so heavily.

TRENDING THREADS