Any games devs here

The reason i am asking this question is because i have always been curious as to what components are used in a games developers systems.

The card i have in my 6 year old rig is the gtx 1080 , i was on a site doing a build my pc and had ticked the gtx titan for my chosen card which was nvideas flagship at the time and as i was doing it my copy of pc gamer arrived and i saw the newly released gtx 1080 so i changed my build. Just like all new products i had to pay top price and the card alone in my build cost £800.
Yes their are some cards better or worse than mine and this will always be the case regardless of what you buy but this has never let me down.

I once asked this question on a steam discussion and one dev said sometimes their does not seem to be a logic reason why a pc cant do what you want , he went on to say that all his companies pc's were the same spec but every now and again one of them would throw a spanner in the works with a reason why it happened ... it just did.

My rig

COOLERMASTER HAF-X FULL TOWER GAMING CASE , the tower is massive.
The cpu is Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor i7-6800K (3.4GHz) 15MB Cache.
The motherboard is ASUS® ROG STRIX X99: ATX, USB 3.1, SATA 6 GB/s.
The ram is 16GB HyperX FURY DDR4 2133MHz (4 x 4GB).
The graphics card is 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 - DVI, HDMI, 3x DP - GTX VR Ready!
The main drive is 480GB HyperX SAVAGE 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW) for windows and all the items that cant be moved
The second drive is 960GB HyperX SAVAGE 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW) for my steam client games and all other games.
The dvd/blue ray is 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM.
The power supply is CORSAIR 650W CS SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET .... The build checker says 650w is 20% more than i should need.
The cpu cooler is Noctua NH-D15S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler , this is huge ! , if you put this into this tower you will be told you cant have an extra roof or rear fan which is strange because i have both.

Last edited:
I talk to a guy who works for a game company (I think probably EA), and he talked like they have some 1080s and 1080 Ti's lying around from when they upgraded their systems. So I'm assuming that means whatever they're currently using to develop games must be newer and greater than that. I know he has a 3080 in his own personal system (or maybe a 3080 Ti).

Reactions: ZedClampet
Wild guess time!

I'm just guessing based on accounting that a large developer like EA would have a wide range of computers because they depreciate over 5 years. So every year they probably buy a new computer for the people who's PC's are now over 5 years old. It may also depend on what job you are doing. I could see certain jobs getting the newer PC's and passing the old ones down to jobs that aren't as demanding.

As for specific components, I have no idea, but I suspect they would go for value for the buck. I wouldn't think they would go over the xx80 series GPU's except maybe for select jobs.

End wild guessing.

I could see certain jobs getting the newer PC's and passing the old ones down to jobs that aren't as demanding
Yeah, that sounds likely to me. There will be a bunch of jobs which require workstations—eg for compiling, rendering, 3D modeling etc—then another bunch which need high-end PCs, and more which need only business-grade PCs.

It makes sense that old workstations would become high-end after a few years, and later again would become business class.