Anachronox Review

Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
I have searched high and low, and I cannot find the review that PC Gamer did on Anachronox. Does it exist, or did PC Gamer overlook this gem?

Zloth

Community Contributor
Well, they've mentioned it on a lot of Top 100 lists. Anachronox came out in mid-2001, though. I don't know if PC Gamer was posting reviews on the web yet. Or maybe they just didn't want to keep it around for 19 years?

Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
Well, they've mentioned it on a lot of Top 100 lists. Anachronox came out in mid-2001, though. I don't know if PC Gamer was posting reviews on the web yet. Or maybe they just didn't want to keep it around for 19 years?

I finally found it. September 2001 US Edition. It got an 88%. It would have done better, but it shipped with a lot of bugs. Glad they didn't overlook it. It sold way less copies than it should have. Anybody looking for a new RPG that is fun and not too technical needs to give this one a try. I mean, what other game lets you have an entire planet in your party.

Reactions: Frindis
Jul 13, 2020
Visit site
Do you know that every time Anachronox is mentioned, someone reinstalls it?
Guess it's gonna be my turn now. Sly Boots is such a great guy :D
But really, only Planescape: Torment has a better lineup of supporting characters.
A balding superhero, failed detective, shrunk planet...

• Love
Reactions: Frindis

Zloth

Community Contributor
I've actually tried it twice and never got through the whole thing. I love the first planet but then it gets to be a real slog for me. There's some fun comedy in there but it wasn't enough to keep me going. The furthest I got was learning how to do magic.

Of course now the game is so cheap its worth the admission price just for that first planet so I would still recommend it for sure.

Jul 13, 2020
Visit site
I suggest you give it a go, story really picks up later on and there are some twists involved :D
Also you get some really powerful abilities with shiny animations when you find certain upgrades.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS