Question Alienware Aurora R11 Compatibility w/3070

Sep 5, 2020
Visit site
A couple months ago, I bought a new Alienware Aurora R11 for $1550 - I thought it was a pretty good deal for a prebuilt despite Alienware’s premium pricing reputation due to the sale at the time.

Been a console gamer my whole life but do some semi-pro photo/4K video editing and needed a new PC for that. As long as I was getting a new PC, thought I’d satisfy my curiosity around PC gaming and kill two birds with one stone.

-i7 10700f (liquid cooled)
-32gb 3200mhz RAM
-2070 Super
-1 TB SSD
-1000w PSU

I have a Samsung 27” 4K HDR monitor, may also HDMI to my 65” 4K TV occasionally.

If I wanted to swap the 2070 super for the 3070 early next year, would it be pretty much plug and play with this system? Or will there be compatibility/space issues? Maybe just too early to know...

Thanks for helping out a new member and new PC gamer!

MaddMann

A nerd that found his place
Community Contributor
Jan 17, 2020
Visit site
So, the biggest issue you may run into is the new power port required on some of the new RTX30 cards. They have a new unique 12-pin connecter. @Oussebon do you know if the 3070 requires it?

Space wise there shouldn't be a considerable difference, but when they release the exact specs on it's dimensions, I would suggest comparing it to your current card to ensure it will fit (but I am pretty certain it will)

I'd heard it's only the Founders Editions of the cards that are sporting 12-pin, but in any event those cards with 12 pin are all getting an adapter for 8-pin PSU connectors anyway included in the box afaik.

But partner model cards will tend to (will all?) just use normal 8 pin.

As suggested sensibly above, check dimensions

If you're gaming at 4k though, consider the RTX 3080. Especially if next gen titles that are almost upon us see a bump in horsepower required.

Sep 5, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the info - so it really comes down to space more than compatibility it sounds like.

Not ruling out the 3080 I guess, but the price/performance of the 3070 is definitely appealing.

Thanks again!

Reactions: MaddMann

MaddMann

A nerd that found his place
Community Contributor
Jan 17, 2020
Visit site
Yeah definitely! It seems like it will be a worthwhile upgrade! I myself am looking at trying to sell my 2080ti (which sounds like it may be hard to do) and getting a 3090. I'll try some time around January

Reactions: MNUplander

TRENDING THREADS