AIO is not cooling CPU, reaches 80+ when launching a game

Nov 11, 2022
Visit site
Hi guys,

I have just built a new gaming rig. Everything was running fine until I noticed the LED was lit red for CPU. I have downloaded core temp and checked my CPU temperature when loading up a game. As soon as a game is launched the LED lights up red and CPU temps climb instantly to 80-100 degrees celcius. Obviously I immediately close any applications and turn off the PC. After waiting some time and rebooting the PC is sitting idle with the CPU core temps around 30+!

I have reapplied thermal paste, tried both fan headers (CPU fan & AIO pump header), the AIO is installed vertically with the pump sitting lower than the top of the radiator.
I have connected the AIO to the Corsair iCUE and can see that the pump is functioning at 2400 RPM. Additionally I have set the pump and radiator fans to "extreme settings" to try and further cool the cpu with the pump running at 2600 RPM and the radiator fans running at 1200 RPM with little change to the CPU temps which are sitting between 29 - 37 while idle.

NOTE: both pipes from the radiator feel cool. However the coolant temp is sat around 30 degrees. Additionally I was wondering if there could be an issue with the thermal paste I am using? The thermal paste I am using is bronze/gold in colour and is labelled HY610.

CPU temps when idel and iCUE AIO pump and fans set to extreme
Build image for AIO positioning reference

Processor: Intel Core i7-13700KF
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX 75 CFM AIO
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B760-F GAMING WIFI ATX LGA1700
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL40
GPU: Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB Video Card
PSU: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Storage: Crucial P2 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Fans: Corsair iCUE QL120 41.8 CFM 120 mm x6

Obviously I will not be using the PC for anything other than troubleshooting on the web until I can resolve this issue.

Please help! Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I have been testing the temps using my iCUE software while running games. It seems that the temps spike and are then cooled. While running Warzone the temps sit around 60 degrees while on the Core Temp software (I have been running both iCUE and Core Temp), 1 or 2 cores seems to spike to 80 but quickly drop down to 60-70. After closing out of games the temps are sitting at 30-40 while idle.

Am I just being paranoid or is this abnormal?

Last edited:
I really dont have any personal experience with these super hot newer Intel chips, but if its spiking then settling down to good levels then it sounds like the cooler just takes a moment to catch up with teh heat produced as teh fans and pump rev up. If you set all the fans and pump to constant 100% does it still happen?

Reactions: Brian Boru
Nov 11, 2022
Visit site
I really dont have any personal experience with these super hot newer Intel chips, but if its spiking then settling down to good levels then it sounds like the cooler just takes a moment to catch up with teh heat produced as teh fans and pump rev up. If you set all the fans and pump to constant 100% does it still happen?

Thanks for your response!

It seems like you're correct. I think the cooler is just taking a moment to to catch up with the heat. I have been running temperature monitoring via iCUE and the temperatures only spike momentarily when first launching a game and then quickly settles. While gaming the temps can hit 80 or after extended periods of time the temps can go rise to 90 but again these are only spikes and the settled temps are around 60-75 after gaming for a while.

I think I just panicked when I first saw the red LED on the motherboard. Reapplying thermal paste with admittedly a better spread this time seems to have helped too. I'll continue to monitor the temps for a while to be sure, but seems as though everything is ok... for now. Just super anxious I might mess up this new build!

You are fine. Techspot had an article recently about temperature ratings for PC's which explains it really well.

More modern CPU's do require better cooling but the cooler you have is more than good enough and should after a short period reduce the temp down, which is what you've found. 60-70c is actually really good.

It's annoying that I can run my old Ryzen 1600X with a £25 cooler but something like a 7700X would require a £100+ one:( but that is the price we pay for progress.

Nov 11, 2022
Visit site
You are fine. Techspot had an article recently about temperature ratings for PC's which explains it really well.

More modern CPU's do require better cooling but the cooler you have is more than good enough and should after a short period reduce the temp down, which is what you've found. 60-70c is actually really good.

It's annoying that I can run my old Ryzen 1600X with a £25 cooler but something like a 7700X would require a £100+ one:( but that is the price we pay for progress.
That article was a good read, put my mind at ease! my temps sit around 70 while running a variety of games on ultra settings. After a period of time they can rise up to 90 and sometimes spike higher but they typically rest in the 70-88 mark.

Mar 2, 2024
Visit site
That article was a good read, put my mind at ease! my temps sit around 70 while running a variety of games on ultra settings. After a period of time they can rise up to 90 and sometimes spike higher but they typically rest in the 70-88 mark.
Is it good tho? Recently happening with me too. My 100% cpu usage temperature where 80c. Fixed 80c and while gaming it was 57c or 60c maximum. Now Idk what's happening my temperature going up like 85c to 88c but fun fact is my idle temperature are 45 and normal work task temperature 55 or 60.

Additionally I have set the pump and radiator fans to "extreme settings" to try and further cool the cpu with the pump running at 2600 RPM and the radiator fans running at 1200 RPM with little change to the CPU temps which are sitting between 29 - 37 while idle.
sounds about right for Icue, I wonder what sensor it is basing the temps off. I made some custom curves up as Icue wasn't cooling entire system, just the CPU. I was using an Corsair AIO up until December. Unless its changed it only lets you set curves for the package
EX8TeH7.jpg

I assume your AIO is` exhaust situated on top of case? I can't tell as your image for AIO placement just gives a 404 now.
The high temps could be a result of the AIO having to breath in all the air from the GPU before exhausting it. At least you only have a 4080, it is worse for a 4090.

What case are you using?

Have you tried putting AIO on front of case and let it to breathe fresh air from outside?
Yiz1OHu.jpg

the GPU doesn't care if the air it breathes is a little warmer, it makes no difference to it, but you can get a massive change on the CPU temps just by moving radiator to front.

Are they CPU core temps or package... i would assume core. Those temps sound about right for a 360 at idle.
I assume you have air conditioning as ambient temps will play a part in it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS