Is this too hot for CPU?

Feb 22, 2023
Visit site
So I have one two apps open Final draft and Mozilla. I am keeping an eye on the CPU temp and it stays idle around 53 C.

And when I don't have any apps open it can get to 48 C.

My CPU Utilasation(according to task manager) is around 7-8%.

is 53 to hot for such a low utilisation percentage?

I had to reduce Max processor state from 100% to 85% so the CPU doesn't hit 80- 90 C when gaming.

I have 5 fans installed, 6 if you count the CPU cooler. It seems to hot for something that doesn't require high processing power,
My cable management is good, good air flow, is it the motherboard? I have the 4 pin connector installed on my board but the 8 pin doesn't seem to turn the pc on when I connect it.
It just seems to hot for not much. Also reapplied thermal paste like 2 weeks ago.

Last edited:
the temps you quote are good for when your not doing much , your gaming temp is high , take the side of your pc off before you start using it , keep an eye on your graphics cards fans , they should run a few seconds at boot up and then not turn on till you get to about 70 , not sure why your cpu would run so high.

Does task manager show anything else running in background you might to be aware of.

What games are you running when you get these high temps

Feb 22, 2023
Visit site
the temps you quote are good for when your not doing much , your gaming temp is high , take the side of your pc off before you start using it , keep an eye on your graphics cards fans , they should run a few seconds at boot up and then not turn on till you get to about 70 , not sure why your cpu would run so high.

Does task manager show anything else running in background you might to be aware of.

What games are you running when you get these high temps
It was really any game that would make the temp rise, when I turned down the max processor state to 85% its then it would stay below 70.

I don't see anything else that would make temp rise so high in the background, just got like antivirus softwares running and other stuff.

You can try reseating the cooler with some new thermal paste and see if it helps. Have you tried adjusting the CPU fan curve as well to see if it helps? Th eproblem with games running is the GPU heats the case and the air gets cycled into it as well.

Your idle temperatures seem normal based on my experience of Ryzen chips.

A small tower cooler at the least like a Hyper 212 or Bequiet Shadowrock or Dark Rock would a fair a lot better. Its a big powerful CPU you have there, would benefit from some love with regards cooling.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Feb 22, 2023
Visit site
You can try reseating the cooler with some new thermal paste and see if it helps. Have you tried adjusting the CPU fan curve as well to see if it helps? Th eproblem with games running is the GPU heats the case and the air gets cycled into it as well.

Your idle temperatures seem normal based on my experience of Ryzen chips.

A small tower cooler at the least like a Hyper 212 or Bequiet Shadowrock or Dark Rock would a fair a lot better. Its a big powerful CPU you have there, would benefit from some love with regards cooling.
I'll look into it, thanks for the help

Dec 15, 2019
Visit site
My 5800x will hit 90C on air under load, every time, and idles around 50C. Even water cooling and throttling it doesn't bring the temp down that much (around 20c under load and 5-10c idling). I think the thermal ceiling for the Ryzen 7/9 chips is high, Googling around there are others asking the same questions you are of the 3900x.

It can't hurt to try, but I don't think reapplying thermal paste is going to do anything. I don't even think it's a silicon lottery thing here, these chips just run hot.

As I understand it, 90C is TJ max so it will start to throttle there. It will be fine, no harm done just it will lower clock speed so as to not go over 90C

With my setup in sig I've never seen it go over 85C in a game, and that was because I forgot to take the fans off the silent profile. Had a 5600X before, never went over 80 because I tuned the fan curves so it didnt.

If I start up Prime 95 Small FFTS with AVX2 it hits 90C almost immediately though :)

I wonder why it comes with that cooler. You can get a basic liquid cooler for £50. CPU never above 60 and extends life of CPU.

Eh, the AMD Wraith stock cooler is actually pretty good considering it comes included in the price.

A cheap 120mm CLC would be an improvement, but a 120mm air cooler would cool just as well for cheaper, and you wouldn't need to replace it in 3-5 years when the pump fails.

TRENDING THREADS