Solved AIO for i9 12900k and gigabyte z690 ud ax ?

Feb 8, 2022
Visit site
Hello,
I'd like to know which AIO is suitable for my following configuration: System Builder.
The ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II LGA 1700 was my first choice, but according to this article, my motherboard may have a compatibility problem. So I asked Arctic's support and still waiting for the answer.
Why Are You Upgrading: This is my first gaming computer

Budget: +/- 300 € - 252 £

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: the closer (but I can wait for a better component)

Use Case:
Gaming: CSGO, League of Legends, Cyberpunk, The Witcher 3, Forza horizon 5
Development: Mutli instance IDE Eclipse/IntelliJ, Docker, VM, Node, ...
Streaming: If my computer can perform it
Design: Photoshop, Illustrator, Blender

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Your Monitor Resolution and desired frame rate: Samsung G9 Odyssey NEO

Parts Preferences: I would like to get a AIO watercooling

Overclocking: No (If I would, would it change the AIO ?)

Additional Comments: Most of my components are quiet but the GPU, if I can get a quiet AIO it will be nice, but I rather like an efficient AIO over a quiet one. This link is the technical data about my case, I'd like to place the AIO in top (max size 360 mm for radiator).

Is a AIO with native support for LGA 1700 is better than an AIO with a upgrade kit for 1700 ?

If you need any additional information, let me know, thank you !

Last edited:
First, i would absolutely change your PSU. 750-850w might just be able to run your system, but you are gonna want more leg room with a 3080ti and 12900k, go for a 1000w at least.

With that build, doesn't seem like you should budget on the AIO cooler (not that there expensive anyways) You should probably get a top rated one even if its pricey since your build is roughly 5700 USD. 3080ti, 12900k, 500 dollar RAM, you dont want to skimp on a part that could potentially hurt those 3 things. (this goes for the PSU too)

You might not be thinking about overclocking, but i know motherboards like the one you list have very easily-used presets for overclocking your pc based on the components used. Also, your monitor is pretty intensive when it comes to being able to spit out high framerates or even a steady 60 in some games like Cyberpunk so you might want to overclock at some point, esp. with games becoming more demanding GPU wise.

It doesnt necessarily change whether or not if you need an AIO or an Air cooler, thats mostly just personal preference. People like the way AIO's look regardless, but its preferred if you are overclocking simply to keep temps lower than air. Personally ive overclocked for years with an Air cooler and havent had too many issues with temps (if i did it wasnt related to my fans most of the time). Certainly not more than AIO's, at least in my experience.

Something like this should be fine, unless you want to get really fancy with your tubes in the system. I just know this one is highly recommended.

Also, go with windows 11. I know people hate on it but it works just fine, but if your building a high end pc like that with a 600 series mobo, might as well go for windows 11.

[Mod edit: shortened Amazon's horrible default link.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Just throwing a couple of ideas out there for you seeing how both of these cpu's down below use less power and produce less heat than the i9 12900K yet both net you great results.

Intel Core i7 12700KF £363.83

This board has the Realtek 1200 audio codec vs the older 897 audio codec that comes with that Gigabyte board you have in your build.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/gig...r4-pcie-50-sata3-4x-m2-25gbe-usb-32-gen-2-atx
Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X DDR4 £198.98

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z690-GAMING-X-DDR4-rev-10#kf

Review of that cpu w/benchmarks.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-12700k-review
Intel Core i7-12700K Review: Taking the Shine Off Core i9

Intel Core i7-12700F £310.00

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...2700f-processor-25m-cache-up-to-4-90-ghz.html

This board has the Realtek 1200 audio codec and pairs up well with the i7 12700F.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi...sata3-pcie-40-3xm2-25gbe-wifi-6-bt52-usb-32-a
MSI MAG B660 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 £179.99

Review of that cpu w/benchmarks.

https://www.techspot.com/review/2391-intel-core-i7-12700/

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydgN4W97Esk&t=708s

Reactions: Krud and Brian Boru
Feb 8, 2022
Visit site
Thank for your advices !

@Why_Me
Actually, I've already purchased and received all the components but the AIO but thank you for the links, I did not know scan.co.uk !

@DXCHASE
I'm saving money for 5 years in order to build my computer (and of course, I do it when the prices are the highest, I always have a good timing...), so I won't be picky about the price if the quality is present.

I will definetly change the PSU for a 1000W at least as recommanded (y)
I'm not going to try customizable watercooling, I'm going to keep it simple with an AIO (or a Ventirad).

So I can go in total safety with a 240mm and the fans already present in my case ?

Is a Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Black can do the job as well ? It comes with a fixation kit for LGA 1700 and my RAM is not low profile.

Thank you all !

Reactions: Brian Boru
Just in case you stay with the 12900k I feel I should just drop in to mention.

The 12900k is a monster, and if you want to run it without power limits its beyond any air cooler. They top out at around 250 watts of power for the NHD15 and similar sized dual tower air coolers. After that point they reach their limit and you'll quite likely get throttling. I'd suggest at least an AIO with at least a 280mm radiator, as the usual 25/27mmx240mm versions are not far beyond the best air coolers.

The Arctic coolers have thicker 38mm radiators than most other AIO's and so outperform other of similar length. If they don't fit your motherboard socket, I would grab something either 280mm or preferably 360mm to handle that CPU adequately with a bit of room to wiggle.

Checkout the 45db noise normalized results here and look for one of those you like the look/price/availability of. Bear in mind this chart is on a 200W load on a 10900K, so the air coolers look closer than they would if you upped the power to the amount the 12900K is using with power limits removed.

Feb 8, 2022
Visit site
I chose the Arctic liquid freezer II 360.
I assembled all the parts of the computer and it boots.
Only when I want to install Windows 11 from a USB boot key, the NVMe disk is not displayed, only the SATA. So I'm stuck at this level of the installation. I updated the BIOS of the motherboard, but it didn't change anything. I wonder if it is necessary to install drivers. I think I installed the NVMe correctly because the screws in the right place and I couldn't push it any further.
Do you guys have any idea or I should open a new post ?
Thank you !

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
Feb 8, 2022
Visit site
In the BIOS in the SATA section: Samsung SSD 87 (4000.7 GB).
In the PCIE section I see: PCIe 4.0 x16 @ 4.0 x16.
In section M.2: there is only N/A.

So actually in BIOS it shows the SSD NVMe (samsung 980 pro if it matters), but not windows. I already feel a little reassured ^^

Thank you for the link.

Edit: How do I close the subject ? I'm sorry I did not found how to close it :oops:

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS