Sep 3, 2020
Visit site
I am interested in upgrading to a 3080, but I don’t particularly want to build a whole new pc. What are the most important things to upgrade? Will my i7 cut it if I overclock? I know I should up my PSU because it suggests a 750 watt...

im not completely against spending money, but I’d say my max for upgrading right now is $2k(including the 3080) Obv if I need a new processor then I need a new motherboard too...

i7-7700k
MSI gaming pro carbon
Gtx 1080 8gb
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB ram
512gb M.2 2280 80mm NVMe PCIe
Evga 80+ 650w PSU

Don't upgrade the PSU yet.

What Nvidia actually say is:
"2 - Recommendation is made based on PC configured with an Intel Core i9-10900K processor. A lower power rating may work depending on system configuration."

PSU recommendations always overstate the required PSU.

There's been a big PSU "scare" with the new cards because websites need articles for clickbait - but the reality is the 3080 is a 320W card. Cards might draw a bit more than their rated power. But the rest of your system won't be using 250W+.

That could depend if you plan to overclock CPU and GPU ofc.

Wait for reviews of the card to be out, check what real world power consumption is like (not to mention actual gaming performance and whether any other components affect performance) and then decide what to spend money on, if anything.

What model is your current PSU? Just an EVGA white-rated 80+ unit, or is it an 80+ gold unit of some kind e.g. a G2?

What monitor are you gaming on? What resolution and refresh rate?

What games do you want to play and at what settings?

Wait for reviews of the card to be out

Yea why i said maybe, but thats gonna be an answer for a lot of questions. Wait for the reviews! Will be doing that only because i dont think ill be able to get one right out of the gate lol.

Were you planning on getting it the day it drops or are you waiting?

a 750w psu but that doesnt mean it cant work with something of a lesser wattage,

but that doesnt mean it cant work with something of a lesser wattage, you just might not get 'the most' out of the card.
This could be read to imply that if it does work, the OP doesn't get the full performance of the card.

Whereas it's very likely they will get the full performance of their card with a decent 650W PSU.

Just to avoid any confusion or the OP potentially wasting money on a new PSU :)

Sep 3, 2020
Visit site

What Nvidia actually say is:
"2 - Recommendation is made based on PC configured with an Intel Core i9-10900K processor. A lower power rating may work depending on system configuration."

PSU recommendations always overstate the required PSU.

There's been a big PSU "scare" with the new cards because websites need articles for clickbait - but the reality is the 3080 is a 320W card. Cards might draw a bit more than their rated power. But the rest of your system won't be using 250W+.

That could depend if you plan to overclock CPU and GPU ofc.

Wait for reviews of the card to be out, check what real world power consumption is like (not to mention actual gaming performance and whether any other components affect performance) and then decide what to spend money on, if anything.

What model is your current PSU? Just an EVGA white-rated 80+ unit, or is it an 80+ gold unit of some kind e.g. a G2?

What monitor are you gaming on? What resolution and refresh rate?

What games do you want to play and at what settings?
This could be read to imply that if it does work, the OP doesn't get the full performance of the card.

Whereas it's very likely they will get the full performance of their card with a decent 650W PSU.

Just to avoid any confusion or the OP potentially wasting money on a new PSU

Power supply isEVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1, 80+ GOLD 650W, Fully Modular

Right now I’m really wanting an upgrade for Cyberpunk, but also excited about baldurs gate 3. Potentially in to VR soon for half life when the new headsets come out or the index reduces price . I’m currently gaming on a Samsung 65 inch 4k quantum dot and it’s hard to go back even though I have a pretty nice IPS ROG 144hz 1440p monitor too. I don’t do competitive really so latency and refresh isn’t as big of a deal.

hard to say what settings but either high 60fps 4k, or maybe 1440p ultra with path tracing Enabled...I always spend a long time messing around optimizing settings... so depends what I can crank out.

Reactions: Oussebon
Then the card sounds like it's in the right ballpark, and if gaming at 4k the CPU will generally have a very limited influence on performance, so an upgrade shouldn't be necessary for most current gen titles.

As for next gen titles, we won't know until they come out.

The PSU is a good quality one, and has two separate cables for PCIe 8 pin connectors (which is what Nvidia recommends, I suppose to avoid asking the PSU to put too much power down one cable?).

So you're probably all set, just need to wait on the hardware + reviews :)

Reactions: Frindis
Sep 3, 2020
Visit site
Then the card sounds like it's in the right ballpark, and if gaming at 4k the CPU will generally have a very limited influence on performance, so an upgrade shouldn't be necessary for most current gen titles.

As for next gen titles, we won't know until they come out.

The PSU is a good quality one, and has two separate cables for PCIe 8 pin connectors (which is what Nvidia recommends, I suppose to avoid asking the PSU to put too much power down one cable?).

So you're probably all set, just need to wait on the hardware + reviews

awesome thanks for the help! 😊

Reactions: Frindis

TRENDING THREADS