Your favorite strategy series

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!

Zoid

Community Contributor
Stellaris.
I love Stellaris, I just suck at it. I think I need to spend some time studying strategies before I start another campaign so that I don't spend a couple hours getting invested in my empire of slug people only to get wiped out completely over the course of 5 minutes when my closest ally turns on me.

MindlessMe

Registered Developer
Jan 8, 2020
Visit site
Might and Magic is a series I haven't played in a very long time. I kind of miss it.

I'm excited about the new Stronghold game in development. It'll be nice to get a change of scenery as well.

Reactions: Lutfij
Jan 21, 2020
Visit site
My first RTS strategy love was Command & Conquer Red Alert. The series as a whole has been hit or miss for me. I also have fond memories of Age of Empires, Total War, and Starcraft.

When speaking of 4X, Galactic Civilizations and Stellaris are both excellent.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
My favorites:

C&C Red Alert 2 - spent hundreds of hours on this one,
C&C Tiberian Sun - pretty much like RA2, but with different setting,
C&C 3 Tiberium Wars - a modern and very good take on RTS games,
Starcraft - also spent hundreds of hours. This includes the creating custom maps with the editor and playing fan made maps.

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
I played a lot of Age of Empires 2, Europa Universalis series, Heroes of Might & Magic III, Command & Conquer, Disciples.... damn good old times. Anyone remembers Myth? Kinda wish that would get a remastered version.
But in last 10 years I barely played RTS outside of StarCraft 2. Turn based strategy games? Sure, been quite a couple of good ones, but RTS really was niche this last decade.

Reactions: Zoid
World in conflict is easily my fav RTS game.

but for series? pretty much all the main ones:

command and conquer
starcraft
warcraft
ground control
total war
dawn of war
Age of empires (maybe?)

thats about it, haven't played homeworld (i could get Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak from 2game.com but not sure tbh...)

Zloth

Community Contributor
thats about it, haven't played homeworld (i could get Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak from 2game.com but not sure tbh...)
With all those RTS games, you really should try out Homeworld. Even if you end up not liking it that much, you should at least see what a 3D RTS game can be!

Also, have you tried Battlezone? It's an RTS game with first person shooter elements.

Sacrifice hasn't been given an HD remake yet but it's another interesting twist on RTS games and was great fun.

With all those RTS games, you really should try out Homeworld. Even if you end up not liking it that much, you should at least see what a 3D RTS game can be!

Also, have you tried Battlezone? It's an RTS game with first person shooter elements.

Sacrifice hasn't been given an HD remake yet but it's another interesting twist on RTS games and was great fun.

I already have homeworld sitting in my collection, just haven't got round to playing any of it. you're probably right for less then 3 quid i can't lose getting the sands of karnek. That said, RTS isn't my fav genre hopefully this one will stick with me.

i did have sacrifice and i thought that it was a bit meh tbh. Too lite on strategy and a too lite on action. Such a shame it didn't really grab me as the premise was good.

Feb 10, 2020
Visit site
We all have our favorite strategy games that may or may not get replaced as new games come out but what is that one series you love? One caveat is that you don't have to love every entry in the series.

Personally mine has to be Command and Conquer. Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War is a close second but I will always love the C&C universe. Tiberium Twilight was an abomination to PC gaming but I still love all the good times I have playing Red Alert 2, Tiberium Sun and/or Generals.
I love Dawn Of War but for some reason I've never played any of the Command And Conquer games.

Feb 15, 2020
Visit site
For strategy games, Hearts of Iron series from Paradox Interactive. They get better with each iteration and have easily taken up weeks of my time in hours played.

May 5, 2020
Visit site
I have put more hours into Crusader Kings 2 than I would care to admit. Also, and I know this might be controversial, but I really love Civ III, it hooked me into the series and genre, and it was one of my first PC games. Empire: Total War and Supreme Commander 2 also have a special place in my heart. One smash hit that took me by surprise though is Battle Brothers.

Reactions: Sarafan

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Also, and I know this might be controversial, but I really love Civ III, it hooked me into the series and genre, and it was one of my first PC games.

This reminds me of Call to Power 1 and 2. I've spent a lot of hours in these two, but the games are a little controversial among Civilization fans.

Empire: Total War and Supreme Commander 2 also have a special place in my heart. One smash hit that took me by surprise though is Battle Brothers.

My Steam counter shows more than 100 hours in Empire: Total War. I liked this game, despite the fact that it's not considered one of the best in the whole series.

Reactions: HankTheTank

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Any of you old coots remember playing Empire? Not Empire: Total War, I mean Empire, with ASCII graphics (originally) and probably the first 4X game ever.

I never played the game. I'm too young. From what I've read, It was released in 1977. But I heard about it (more precisely about Empire Deluxe). I can't imagine playing it these days however. It's not a problem with graphics, but rather archaic gameplay design.

Zloth

Community Contributor
I never played the game. I'm too young. From what I've read, It was released in 1977. But I heard about it (more precisely about Empire Deluxe). I can't imagine playing it these days however. It's not a problem with graphics, but rather archaic gameplay design.
Yeah, these days that game would just be for folks interested in gaming history but we sure did have fun with it back in college. Even though the game was pushing 10 years old by that time, we still weren't allowed to play it until after hours so we would wake up after midnight, head to the computer lab, and play for a few hours.

Jul 6, 2020
Visit site
Age of Empires (including Age of Mythology in this consideration, as it's pretty much the same series).

AOE 2 is probably my favorite RTS of all time, but the series in general has mostly been consistently good, even with the oddball entry of AOE 3. (I know little of AOE online though, to be honest).

I wanted to say Dawn of War, but frankly, DOW 2 did nothing for me, and DOW 3 just looked awful, so really, DOW 1+ expansions are the only ones in the "series" that I love. Does that disqualify it as being a favorite series?

XCOM (the reboots) are a close followup to AOE as a favorite series.

After finishing C&C Remastered, I just had to jump back into C&C2 Tiberian Sun at 1280x1024 (simple CFG file edit) after so many years. Great campaign and I very much I detest Nod Artillery when playing as GDI . :p I would love to see these cutscenes transferred to High Definition.

Reactions: Sarafan

Sarafan

Community Contributor
After finishing C&C Remastered, I just had to jump back into C&C2 Tiberian Sun at 1280x1024 (simple CFG file edit) after so many years. Great campaign and I very much I detest Nod Artillery when playing as GDI . I would love to see these cutscenes transferred to High Definition.

You can even launch it in widescreen resolutions with TS community patch. :) Do you have a problem with invisible menu screen perhaps? The TS patch solves this problem as well (but may introduce another one with long loading times unfortunately).

You can even launch it in widescreen resolutions with TS community patch. Do you have a problem with invisible menu screen perhaps? The TS patch solves this problem as well (but may introduce another one with long loading times unfortunately).

Thanks much, but no widescreen patch needed, as I'm playing it on my legacy box that has a 4:3 monitor. Game runs perfectly. Just using the 2.0 Firestorm patch for the campaign and that's it.

TRENDING THREADS