MindlessMe

Registered Developer
Jan 8, 2020
Visit site
We all have our favorite strategy games that may or may not get replaced as new games come out but what is that one series you love? One caveat is that you don't have to love every entry in the series.

Personally mine has to be Command and Conquer. Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War is a close second but I will always love the C&C universe. Tiberium Twilight was an abomination to PC gaming but I still love all the good times I have playing Red Alert 2, Tiberium Sun and/or Generals.

Jan 11, 2020
Visit site
Either Civilization or Stellaris, for me. I’m more interested in building awesomeness than in winning a complex strategic competition with clever AIs/other players. I do love Total Warhammer 2 though (2 cos Lizardmen).

Reactions: iourie and Tay

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
The strategy game I played most was Rome: Total War. I was very young when I played that so I only could play itt with the money cheat lol.

That pretty much was the only game from that series I enjoyed though. Medieval 2: Total War was very good too, but from Empire: Total War on games got pretty boring. I have most of the Total War games but none I enjoyed as much as Rome 1.

From other strategy games I've tried CK2, Victoria 2 (never got into that one), Civ4, 5 and 6. I still enjoy Rome: Total War the most.

Reactions: iourie and Tay
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
Has to be from my peak of RTS gaming in the noughties, when the SAGE engine dominated Westwood and EA releases; Generals, C&C 3, but mainly LOTR The Battle for Middle-earth 2, oh the BFME2 LANs were glorious.

I didn't experience Warcraft III or StarCraft fully until much later in life, sadly.

I started with C&C Red Alert and Dune2000 on PSX in the 90s, even had a link cable for co-op and 1v1 skirmishes.

Reactions: iourie
Has to be from my peak of RTS gaming in the noughties, when the SAGE engine dominated Westwood and EA releases; Generals, C&C 3, but mainly LOTR The Battle for Middle-earth 2, oh the BFME2 LANs were glorious.

I didn't experience Warcraft III or StarCraft fully until much later in life, sadly.

I started with C&C Red Alert and Dune2000 on PSX in the 90s, even had a link cable for co-op and 1v1 skirmishes.

I hate that you can't acquire the Battle for Middle-earth games legally anymore. :(

Reactions: Outcider

spvtnik1

Community Contributor
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
C&C, no contest. Eventually I'll come back to the Homeworld Remastered edition I have.

Wargame: Red Dragon was lots of fun, even when losing a match. Shame the servers are pretty much inactive these days.

Zoid

Community Contributor
I've been a massive fan of the Total War games since back in the original Medieval. Rome was probably the highlight of the historic games for me, but I think Warhammer is the height of the series as a whole. I still love the historic stuff, but a Total War game set in a fantasy world was a match made in heaven.

Reactions: Tay and Will
In this order:

Homeworld Universe (Homeworld 3 gonna rock)
Command & Conquer Universe (Kane LIVES btw! :cool:)
Warcraft Universe (Warcraft IV plz)

That said, Total Annihilation, Age of Empires II, and Supreme Commander get special mention as those RTS titles that kept the LAN party up from 10pm to the rising sun hours in the morning. Ugh!

Reactions: iourie
Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
I've been a massive fan of the Total War games since back in the original Medieval. Rome was probably the highlight of the historic games for me, but I think Warhammer is the height of the series as a whole. I still love the historic stuff, but a Total War game set in a fantasy world was a match made in heaven.

I was going to post exactly this, so I just liked your post and added my weight behind you my man :D

Reactions: Zoid
Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
Hello!

I want to say Total War, but there are a couple of games in this series; Medieval: Total War, Rome: Total War, Medieval II: Total War, Napoleon: Total War.

Also, I love to play Paradox Interactive grand strategy games; Crusader Kings 2, Europa Universalis: Rome, Europa Universalis IV, Imperator: Rome.

There are still games I really liked to play, they are classic; Age of Empires, Age of Empires 2, Command and Conquer: Generals (and Zero Hour), Red Alert 2.

Bests,

Last edited:
This thread should probably receive a special 'Certified PC Awesome' merit badge. I'll be mega boring and traditional: Starcraft.

Even though I've long stopped playing 'pure' strategy games, I always remember the Starcraft days fondly.

Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
C&C all my childhood. Red alart, red alart 2, yuri, generals ! and the 3. this were it was good games.

Age of Empire: always good fun

Total war Warhammer 2 is really good.
Totwal war in general is really good but you need to get into it

Starcraft 2 had a very nice campaign

Homeworld remastered. That was tied in some part of the campaign.

Ashes of singularity is pretty good.

Jan 5, 2020
Visit site
When it comes to RTS my favorites are Age of Mythology, Impossible Creatures, Nexus: The Jupiter Incident, Warhammer 40K Dawn of War and Emperor: Battle for Dune.

Some of my favorite TBS series are Shining Force, Galactic Civilizations and King's Bounty.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Wow, that's a little like asking what your favorite food is: kinda depends on what you're hungry for at the time.

BattleTech for squad strategy, largely because tinkering around with mech builds is so fun.

Endless Space 2 for lightweight fun - Civ 5 works well for that, too.

Sword of the Stars for the best battles in a 4X.