Visit site
hello guys
my System Specs

Motherboard - IG41M3
Soket - LGA 775
Current CPU - Pentium E6700 3.2ghz
Ram - DDR3 1066/800 mhz
PSU - 650watt
i want to upgrade my old pc, will this motherboard support Intel Q9400 CPU? or moded Xeon e5450 cpu?

Not the Xeon as it's a different socket.

Apparently the sockets are similar and it's possible to DIY a fitting or buy one usually from China. But even then you'd need a compatible BIOS which probably doesn't officially exist, and unofficial mods may be difficult to source.

As for the Q9400, it should fit the socket. But whether the BIOS supports it I don't know. It's also a higher TDP part and I don't know if that motherboard would support it.

Is this a Lenovo system? What's it's full model name and number if so?

Depending on the pricing of the new CPUs and what you actually want your upgrade to do for you, you might be best off saving up for much newer hardware.

Reactions: Frindis and Zoid

Zoid

Community Contributor
@Oussebon beat me to it. Your motherboard appears to support an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400. As in, it's the right socket and I believe the G41 chipset does support the Q9400, but as mentioned, I'm not sure if a BIOS version exists for your motherboard to support this upgrade, or if it will be able to deliver the right amount of power to the chip.

Is the purpose of this upgrade academic and just for fun, or is this your main computer? How do you use this machine?

Reactions: Frindis
Sep 21, 2020
Visit site
No it's my old pc, when i shifted back to my old house to my parents i fortunately got it as it is working but way too slow, thats why thought to give it a new life with a powerful cpu and also the RAM.

My model is Lenevo H410e
IG41M3.

as the bus speed is 1066/800mhz, I'm not able to find any RAM of this frequency, all I'm getting 1333mhz or above? is that ok to go with that?

thank you so much for helping in this. i really appreciate your efforts guys.

Zoid

Community Contributor
No it's my old pc, when i shifted back to my old house to my parents i fortunately got it as it is working but way too slow, thats why thought to give it a new life with a powerful cpu and also the RAM.

My model is Lenevo H410e
IG41M3.

as the bus speed is 1066/800mhz, I'm not able to find any RAM of this frequency, all I'm getting 1333mhz or above? is that ok to go with that?

thank you so much for helping in this. i really appreciate your efforts guys.
Yes, 1333MHz RAM should work ok, it will just be downclocked to 1066MHz.

What are you intending to use this PC for? The Core 2 Quad Q9400 is a 12 year old CPU now. If gaming is your aim, I'm not sure this upgrade is going to get you there. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of pulling out an old PC and upgrading it as a nostalgic hobby. But if this is your primary computer and you plan to game on it (or do any other modern compute-intensive tasks) I think it's important to have the right expectations.

If this computer is being especially slow, at its age, I would think the hard drive would actually be the main culprit. Have you looked into the health of the drive? That is almost always the first point of failure I see on old PCs.

Reactions: Oussebon
Sep 21, 2020
Visit site
I dont own any primary pc as my work is travel related that's why i use laptop as my primary device.

Since i got my old pc back at home, i wanted to use it as secondary pc. My expectations from this pc is that, i want to use it for Net Serving, Files storing device,
Now it has Pentium processor, but it takes time to boot up and also seems very laggy as compared to my laptop, it feels very irritating therefore, just to give it a new life i want to Change the cpu and ram, i dont want to spend much on this, as i will need to replace everything if i want to do it.
Hope you can understand.

Why not use the laptop as your only device? Connecting it to an external monitor if you want a larger screen

The main things to revitalise your old PC would be:
- Clean install of Windows - a clean install, not a reset of any kind.
- add an SSD if it only has an HDD
- 8gb RAM (not sure if you said how much RAM the system has now).

For light web browsing uses, the CPU is probably further down the list of priorities than all of the above. Certainly below clean install and SSD.

Reactions: LuthER Ji and Zoid
Sep 21, 2020
Visit site
yeah thank you for the recommendations. I will really do that,
since some of my friends they have put quad core cpus on their old pc therefore i thought to replace the cpu,

usually i use laptop, i have one younger brother, if i could give a new life to the pc at a lower budget then it would be good for him as he will be able to use it while I'm out.

and ofcourse i want to highlight the thing is that, my CPU is Pentium dual E6700 3.2ghz, according to the Intel website its a x64 based system, but i am not able to install 64bit OS, therefore its running on 32bit OS, when i looked at the system info it showed x86 based system.

TRENDING THREADS