Will my Corsair RM650x work for 3080?

Feb 27, 2020
Visit site
Rig is Corsair RM650x (80 plus gold), 16gb RAM, i5 8400... Currently powers a 2080ti with no issues. Marketing for 3080 says you need a 750w psu minimum, with a vague disclaimer that in some cases a lower wattage may still work.

Anyone happen to have any insight? Thanks

Last edited:
It's very likely your current PSU will be enough given the rest of your system.

Beyond that, all anyone can suggest would be to wait for reviews and see what power consumption is like under torture and/or peak gaming loads.

Anyone with any insight would be under NDA until the review embargo lifts, which is probably going to be on release day (though I've not checked).

Last edited:
Reactions: Zoid
Feb 27, 2020
Visit site
It's very likely your current PSU will be enough given the rest of your system.

Beyond that, all anyone can suggest would be to wait for reviews and see what power consumption is like under torture and/or peak gaming loads.

Anyone with any insight would be under NDA until the review embargo lifts, which is probably going to be on release day (though I've not checked).
Thanks. I've been checking reviews... still hard to say.

But I already sold my 2080ti so I guess i'm committed either way! Fingers crossed the 650 will make do for now

TPU place it as upto 370W. GN similar measurements once overclocked. Which isn't too surprising because power limits. The rest of your system won't use close to 280W. So I expect you'll be fine.

Not fine for now, just fine. Until you upgrade to an i9 10900k or whatever power virus Intel releases next and overclock it I suppose :)

Feb 27, 2020
Visit site
TPU place it as upto 370W. GN similar measurements once overclocked. Which isn't too surprising because power limits. The rest of your system won't use close to 280W. So I expect you'll be fine.

Not fine for now, just fine. Until you upgrade to an i9 10900k or whatever power virus Intel releases next and overclock it I suppose
Awesome. Thanks for the info. Do you expect I would bottleneck with my CPU going forward? I play 4k 60fps... had no issues when paired with 2080ti

Unlikely.

You might encounter the odd game that is, in some areas, CPU limited. Maybe a given title wants more threads/cores, or maybe another really wants some extra frequency.

But in general it shouldn't be a significant issue, not one that would generally prevent you from seeing a substantial performance uplift.

Hardware Unboxed have a graph showing relative difference between an AMD 3950X and an i9 10900k at 4k. Not quite the same setup as your but the point is that such differences as there are between those CPUs get eliminated at 4k even with the 3080.
View: https://youtu.be/csSmiaR3RVE?t=1478

Oh, and actually Tom's Hardware have an article exploring 4k performance of the 3080 paired with various CPUs:
The upshot of which appears to be that your CPU is fine. At least far as the games they tested :)

Feb 27, 2020
Visit site
Unlikely.

You might encounter the odd game that is, in some areas, CPU limited. Maybe a given title wants more threads/cores, or maybe another really wants some extra frequency.

But in general it shouldn't be a significant issue, not one that would generally prevent you from seeing a substantial performance uplift.

Hardware Unboxed have a graph showing relative difference between an AMD 3950X and an i9 10900k at 4k. Not quite the same setup as your but the point is that such differences as there are between those CPUs get eliminated at 4k even with the 3080.
View: https://youtu.be/csSmiaR3RVE?t=1478

Oh, and actually Tom's Hardware have an article exploring 4k performance of the 3080 paired with various CPUs:
The upshot of which appears to be that your CPU is fine. At least far as the games they tested
All excellent news aside from the fact I sold my 2080ti and, of course, utterly failed to score a 3080... so now I have no GPU :D

Thanks for all the info. Still helps when i'm back in GPU ownership!

Reactions: Oussebon

TRENDING THREADS