Question Wifi shuts out every 30ish minutes? No networks visible on list.

Feb 24, 2023
Visit site
My wifi card isnt working.

I had a PCI-e card that wasnt working, it would shut off every 20 minutes or so and I would have to turn the computer off and wiggle it around and reboot to make it work. So I replaced it with another PCI-e wifi card, the ASROCK h510-HVS R2.0, and it worked maybe a little better, but still had the same issue, the wifi wiould disconnect every 20-30 minutes or so, and when I clicked the wifi widget in the tool bar, it wouldn't even show a list of any nearby networks, it would simply be blank. I thought maybe it was an issue with the motherboard, so I bought a new motherboard; I now own the ASROCK h510-HVS R2.0. This did not fix the problem. Also when I noticed that when the wifi shut out and I went into windows settings and tried clicking "Network & Internet" the window would freeze up and it wouldn't open, but I had no problem clicking into all the other settings categories such as "system" or "devices" or "privacy."

I eventually discovered that I could fix the problem by re-installing the drivers, whereby every time the wifi shut out, I would run the ASUS wifi card driver installation file and select repair and then my wifi would turn back on. But this is a short term fix because the wifi still will only work for around 30 mons before it shuts off again and i have to reinstall the driver again. Is it possible that the drivers are just bad or something?? The only other thing I can think of is that the card might be overheating and shutting itself down? and maybe it just stays shutoff until i wake it up by re-installing the drivers? But I think this overheating theory is a longshot because i keep it rlly cool in my place like 68degrees F and I have two or three fans in the case; also it doesnt explain why the window freezes up when I try and click into "Network & Internet Settings." I tried working through a lot of trouble shooting articles like the one below but none of them worked:
https://www.softwaretestinghelp.com/wifi-keeps-disconnecting-fixed/

Here is my setup:
MOBO: ASROCK h510-HVS R2.0
WIFI CARD: ASUS PCE-AC88
CPU: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-11600 @ 2.80GHz 2.81 GHz
Installed RAM: 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
GPU: GEFORCE RTX 3060
System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Running Windows 10, and all the wifi card drivers are for windows 10 as well.

Grateful for any thoughts / suggestions / advice

Thanks

Welcome to the forum :)

What's the timeline for this problem? Directly after buying/building a new PC, after switching ISP, after moving PC farther away from router, after …???

I replaced it with another PCI-e wifi card … but still had the same issue

new motherboard … did not fix the problem

window would freeze up and it wouldn't open

fix the problem by re-installing the drivers … still will only work for around 30 mons
Above suggests to me that there's a problem with Windows handling the wifi. Try these until one of them works:

♣ Run SFC /scannow
This could take an hour or so to run, but should replace any damaged system files.

♦ In Device Manager, uninstall the wifi card;
Physically remove the wifi card;
Boot PC, shut down again;
Physically install the card;
Reboot and let Windows do the 'Found new hardware' dance;
If wifi now works, rejoice and DO NOT replace Windows drivers with manufacturers!

♥ Talk to ISP support, in case they have some known issue.

♠ Do a fresh reinstall of Windows.

Feb 24, 2023
Visit site

What's the timeline for this problem? Directly after buying/building a new PC, after switching ISP, after moving PC farther away from router, after …???

Above suggests to me that there's a problem with Windows handling the wifi. Try these until one of them works:

♣ Run SFC /scannow
This could take an hour or so to run, but should replace any damaged system files.

If wifi now works, rejoice and DO NOT replace Windows drivers with manufacturers!

Thank you for the tips!!! Will try these and let you know

Reactions: Brian Boru
Feb 24, 2023
Visit site

♣ Run SFC /scannow

Update: I ran sfc / scannow and it gave the:

"windows resource protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. Details are included in ..."

message. I will mess around and see if the problem persists. Thanks

Feb 24, 2023
Visit site

♣ Run SFC /scannow

Update again:
The problem persisted after i did the scan now. So i uninstalled all the network adapters on device manager, booted, rebooted and let windows do the "find new device" dance, but it never found the new device, as in, no networks ever appeared in the wifi list. So i tried reinstalling the manufacturer drivers, and the problem still persisted after that. So i reinstalled a fresh copy of windows, and still the same problem. It really feels like it must be some sort of hardware issue at this point, but at the same time, i recently replaced both the motherboard and the wifi adapter, so i dont know what other hardware might be to blame. Do you think upgrading to windows 11 might help? And trying the windows11 version of the manufacturer drivers? Im pretty sure the problem isnt my isp because all my other devices work fine on my wifi