Question Why do video games need credits?

Zloth

Community Contributor
Why do we get credits thrown at us in video games?

I can see some purpose to them: telling other people who's responsible for what. If a game has great art direction, maybe you would like to hire that person. All fine and dandy, but why put them in front of everybody? Stick it on a website somewhere where people can easily search for the info and maybe include links to their LinkedIn profiles. You could even include details telling interested parties just what they did instead of just having a big block of names under a basic job title. The player just doesn't need to see them, though, at least as part of the game.

It *is* nice to have a little musical epilog to cap the game off, but I'm pretty certain games could do that better without having a huuuuge list of names filling part of the screen.

I think it's fair. Those people deserve credit for the hard work they put into it. I'm sure if you were one of the animators in a big game, it would be cool to be able to show your family and friends your name on the game. And if they just put them on a website, nobody would go look. So they put it in the game with the possibility of there being an after-credits ending cutscene to make people watch the credits.

I get the importance of it to the devs, but it really is annoying when it's a really long wait to get to that ending cutscene.

Zloth

Community Contributor
I'm sure if you were one of the animators in a big game, it would be cool to be able to show your family and friends your name on the game. And if they just put them on a website, nobody would go look.
But that's just the thing... to see your name in the credits, you're either a Big Deal (in which case I think everyone already knows) or you have to sit through quite a few credits before you get to see your own name up in lights. And that's assuming the game just lets you see the credits whenever you want - some make you play to the end. If it's a web page, a quick control-F and there you are!

Oh, wait, it's been done! Here's Moby's credits for Horizon: Zero Dawn.

I think it's mostly as a reference to show future employers. Websites aren't permanent enough to rely on to store this kind of information, but they could just put the credits in some sub menu instead of parading them all out at the end of the game. In fact, most games without an end already do this. At least, I assume all 4X games, for example, have the credits available somewhere, but they've never been shoved into my face before.

But that's just the thing... to see your name in the credits, you're either a Big Deal (in which case I think everyone already knows) or you have to sit through quite a few credits before you get to see your own name up in lights. And that's assuming the game just lets you see the credits whenever you want - some make you play to the end. If it's a web page, a quick control-F and there you are!

Oh, wait, it's been done! Here's Moby's credits for Horizon: Zero Dawn.
Wow. Looks like Moby has the credits for tons of games. That's pretty cool. I think IMDB has credits for a lot of games, too.

Movies have always done it, you can look up credits for everything to do with music productions but they used to be in the album sleeves, authors credit their editors and publishers. Artists sign their works.

Players dont have to watch them, you can press a key and avoid it. I usually watch it all, because occasionally there's an achievement for it :p
Games, movies, book credits are important to those involved with the creation of the work, but for those who don't like them, they're all easily skippable. Hit "ESC" (usually) to exit a games ending credits, fast forward the ending credits in a movie, or don't read the credits in a book. As others have said, I don't think I've ever seen ending credits in a game that weren't skippable, though I also watch them, at least the first time I finish a game. I did a post probably a year or so ago asking if you watched the ending credits for a game (can't remember the exact title of the post).

Recent PCG article related to this post about people not being included in the ending credits:
'A spit in the face of every translator who worked tirelessly on the project'—Persona 3 and 4 localisers aren't in the credits | PC Gamer

Reactions: Pifanjr
I think IMDB has credits for a lot of games, too
It does, eg:

I did a post
So you did :)

Also:

Zloth

Community Contributor
Yeah, that's the article that got me going, @mainer.

Only movies and games have such long credits. Video games, that is. I don't think any board games are going to list off who the caterers were anywhere. Books might have some 'special thanks.' Paintings just have the artist's signature, they don't EVEN mention the CEO of the company that made the canvas. (And I strongly suspect the only reason games have such long credits is because they keep trying to be like movies - which might be a big part of what erks me.)

@Brian Boru - that PC Gamer article is missing some good credits! Harrumph! Guess if you want it done right...

Yeah, that's the article that got me going, @mainer.

Only movies and games have such long credits. Video games, that is. I don't think any board games are going to list off who the caterers were anywhere. Books might have some 'special thanks.' Paintings just have the artist's signature, they don't EVEN mention the CEO of the company that made the canvas. (And I strongly suspect the only reason games have such long credits is because they keep trying to be like movies - which might be a big part of what erks me.)

@Brian Boru - that PC Gamer article is missing some good credits! Harrumph! Guess if you want it done right...
I'm sure everyone has noticed that places like McDonald's are using several big changeable screens for their menus now. I think in one corner, they need to have a black screen with rolling white credits that list the names and jobs of all the people working there, and the names of the companies that supply all of their food items and paper products. That way, we can properly appreciate them.

SWard

Supergirl
Staff member
As someone who is IN game credits I can say, devs deserve to be in a game's credits and you should credit people who have worked on a game. :D

Some fun facts about mine:
  1. You can fly past my name in VR in EVE: Valkyrie
  2. In Guitar Hero Live there's video of me mucking about in the credits
  3. I have a special thanks on Crackdown 3

I think sometimes gamers assume games sort of just materialise without hard work and don't have much knowledge of how many people or in some cases how few people it takes to ship a game. It's a stressful buisness and much like the end of any film, book, play or any other artwork/production - if you contributed on a game you're name should be there. Personally speaking I also liked to include community contributors, production babies and any dedications to devs that passed.

I think they should be skippable, but they should 100% be there. :)

I know no one really wants to watch the credits. I think when I started gaming it went to the credits at the end and it was a long and I didn't know how to stop it.

But if I'd spent maybe five to ten years working hard on a project, I'd definitely want crediting, rather than some corporation apparently being responsible they are team efforts. (pipped to the post^)

As someone who is IN game credits I can say, devs deserve to be in a game's credits and you should credit people who have worked on a game. :D

Some fun facts about mine:
  1. You can fly past my name in VR in EVE: Valkyrie
  2. In Guitar Hero Live there's video of me mucking about in the credits
  3. I have a special thanks on Crackdown 3

I think sometimes gamers assume games sort of just materialise without hard work and don't have much knowledge of how many people or in some cases how few people it takes to ship a game. It's a stressful buisness and much like the end of any film, book, play or any other artwork/production - if you contributed on a game you're name should be there. Personally speaking I also liked to include community contributors, production babies and any dedications to devs that passed.

I think they should be skippable, but they should 100% be there. :)
That's really awesome. I agree with you, and I'm pro-credits in games and movies/shows. I believe deeply in appreciating and honoring people.

I think the main negativity towards the idea of credits, other than just that it's boring to have to sit through that, Lol, is that there are a lot of really hard-working people out there in every industry who never get credited for their work. Like the truck drivers who deliver all of our goods around the country all the time. We'd be in a lot of trouble without them. But you never see their names listed anywhere. A lot of people out there deserve to be credited and honored, and they'll never get that.

several big changeable screens
You're onto something! That interminable boredom in Terminal 3 waiting for your flight to be called? Thing of the past, now enjoy a list of all the baggage handlers on the screens that would otherwise show departures.

Ok, I'm convinced, and it's so good that I propose we adopt this practice for non-trivial pursuits. All those brilliant folk who worked to get the covid vaccines out in record time—every patient needs to watch the list before they can get their jab or pill.

Microwave ovens should ship with a list of all the brilliant scientists and fine engineers who made the research breakthrus and overcame the production challenges—the list to be recited while your food is cooking.

I know no one really wants to watch the credits
At the turn of the century, a business colleague got his website in the credits of a significant CNN business program. He was so excited about what it would mean, his lucky day had arrived—but no noticeable change in his traffic.

You're not correct tho. Remember credits fulfil luvvies' "look at me, mom" desire—and sure enough, moms are known to be an ardent viewership demographic of credits.

if I'd spent maybe five to ten years working hard on a project, I'd definitely want crediting, rather than some corporation apparently being responsible they are team efforts
Now we're suckin' diesel! It's a disgrace that NASA gets all the James Webb kudos, when thousands from it, ESA and CSA spent decades producing one of the finest pieces of tech mankind has ever made. Talk about creativity and inspiration and full expression of mans' desire to expand our horizons and consider topics bigger than ourselves.

I propose all photos produced by JWST and made public be overlaid with screens listing all these wonderful people, the numerous difficult challenges they faced, and the incredibly creative solutions they came up with. If you pay $70 for the retail package, and $10/month for the SpacePass, you get an out via the Esc key.

ETA:

Thank you! I was wondering who made that post!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: WoodenSaucer

Zloth

Community Contributor
The whole 'giving credit' is odd in that we do that with a very strange selection of things, but that's just odd, not really bothersome - at least to me. The bothersome thing is that it's just so inefficient!

Everyone that actually wants to see something in those credits will have a much easier time looking at a web page. What's more, if the company hires somebody after release that works on the game quite a bit, it's easy to pop them into the web page. With the credits, not so much.

But, instead, we stuff it in front of jillions of people, none of whom are interested.

P.S.
full

It counts!! ;)

Now we're suckin' diesel! It's a disgrace that NASA gets all the James Webb kudos, when thousands from it, ESA and CSA spent decades producing one of the finest pieces of tech mankind has ever made. Talk about creativity and inspiration and full expression of mans' desire to expand our horizons and consider topics bigger than ourselves.

I propose all photos produced by JWST and made public be overlaid with screens listing all these wonderful people, the numerous difficult challenges they faced, and the incredibly creative solutions they came up with. If you pay $70 for the retail package, and $10/month for the SpacePass, you get an out via the Esc key.
Yes but we're discussing the credits at the end of a game, which the artists and all the members of the team have written in to their contracts as a requirement. I'm not sure it's fair to compare it to other industries, even if credit isn't given correctly there. Surely all members of teams that contribute to projects should be recognised whether designers, engineers, or artists.

Personally I don't read the game credits, but I do if I find something that intrigues me go and find out who came up with that specific idea, like the developers behind Legion's; Procedural generation of characters.

I then watched a video where each member of the team explained what they were responsible for and the lead developer referenced his source, which I then read by Ben Sunshine-Hill and Norman I. Bader > 'Perceptually Realistic Behavior through Alibi Generation'.

May 11, 2022
Visit site
I watch credits when I finish a game.

Sometimes I recognize some names from other games and if they augment the experience with concept art and crew photos I love that too.

Also, can I control the scroll speed please? I won't skip anyone I promise, I just want to go back up the list sometimes.

Reactions: mainer and Pifanjr
Surely all members of teams that contribute to projects should be recognised whether designers, engineers, or artists
They are of course, main diff is they're not shoved in peoples' faces.

find out who came up with…
In-game credits are the last place I'd look for any such info—there are far better sources, as Zloth alluded to.

can I control the scroll speed please?
Probably not, credits serve a 'look at me, mom' function, not a useful-to-you function—go elsewhere for latter.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Also, can I control the scroll speed please? I won't skip anyone I promise, I just want to go back up the list sometimes.
A few games have a speed-up-credits option, but I've never seen one to back them up. If you've got Shadowplay going, it can be set so it saves a recording of the past X minutes. Or just go to that Moby Games site I linked to above and search for it the easy way.

TRENDING THREADS