Question 

Where did you go first in Microsoft Flight Simulator?

Hey fellow pilots!

You've got the entire world to explore in MS Flight Sim, so it's understandable if you're stuck on where to fly to first - well, after you've seen what your hometown looks like from the skies, of course.

If you're stuck - or just haven't picked up the game yet - Andy put together a list of the ten places new cabin crew members should fly to first, including the Grand Canyon and Mount Fuji.

But if you have your own suggestions, I'd like to know:
  • Where everybody should fly to and why
  • The closest airport to your chosen destination(s)
  • Your best screenshot of the spot
I look forward to seeing your suggestions and, in the meantime, keep an eye on PC Gamer for lots of lovely Flight Sim features and guides.

My home community, and I took off from the local airport to fly over my house. It was there, and yes it looked different, but it was there.

Then I went to the Hawaiian island of Kauai at sunset and flew across it, and also to the Na Pali coastline, which looks amazing in the game.

tvWJ7Na.jpg

Last edited:
One of the places PC Gamer recommended was Lofoten (Norway), so I did a little follow up on that in my newly started thread: https://forums.pcgamer.com/threads/flight-simulator-2020-travel-diary.5377/. The Røst is the closest airport and where my journey around the beginning of Lofoten starts. As for the favorite screenshot, it is between pic 2 and 3.

I went on holiday to Lofoten some years back and it is a very nice place to visit. The green-clad mountains are quite spectacular, not to mention the view when you reach the top.

Another place I would recommend to visit is Mjøsa (Norway's biggest lake). Not because it is the most beautiful place in Norway, but because I grew up around there, ha ha;) It is also quite different from what you would see further north of Norway. The closest airport would be Gardemoen which is not that far from Oslo, the capital of Norway. Here is my favorite pic from the adventure three days ago (unfortunately before I learned about the pause button and showcase drone)

If anyone needs tips for some of the most breathtaking places to visit in Norway, I'd be happy to give out some recommendations and I will also update my own thread with some killer sights of Norway in the near future.

Feb 15, 2020
Visit site
The first place I flew was my hometown in the Cessna 152. Was pretty fun even though the buildings looked different to what I was expecting to see in the sim.

After that I flew from Boston to Cleveland to get the 350NM achievement. Took two hours in the Beechcraft twin engine and was very entertaining. I switched from a night takeoff from Boston, to a morning sunrise and then to a normal cloudy day. The view was spectacular!

Well, I didn't take a screenshot. Whoops!

PCG Harry

Guides Editor
Staff member
Dec 11, 2019
Visit site
One of the places PC Gamer recommended was Lofoten (Norway), so I did a little follow up on that in my newly started thread: https://forums.pcgamer.com/threads/flight-simulator-2020-travel-diary.5377/. The Røst is the closest airport and where my journey around the beginning of Lofoten starts. As for the favorite screenshot, it is between pic 2 and 3.

I went on holiday to Lofoten some years back and it is a very nice place to visit. The green-clad mountains are quite spectacular, not to mention the view when you reach the top.

Another place I would recommend to visit is Mjøsa (Norway's biggest lake). Not because it is the most beautiful place in Norway, but because I grew up around there, ha ha It is also quite different from what you would see further north of Norway. The closest airport would be Gardemoen which is not that far from Oslo, the capital of Norway. Here is my favorite pic from the adventure three days ago (unfortunately before I learned about the pause button and showcase drone)

If anyone needs tips for some of the most breathtaking places to visit in Norway, I'd be happy to give out some recommendations and I will also update my own thread with some killer sights of Norway in the near future.
Sorry I missed your thread, but those screens are amazing. Norway's definitely on my to-travel list now - in Flight Sim and real life!

Aug 23, 2020
Visit site
My first flight was from the Roseburg, Oregon airport, flew south to my home town, flew over my house, and was impressed by the actual relevance of detail in the sim.
Afrer landing the Cessna 152 at our local airport, I took off and flew to Crater Lake, wasn’t really impressed with the details, but it was a close resemblance none the less.
Looking forward to flying over Australia’s Gold Coast, as I’ve spent several months there, to see how it appears in the sim.
Happy landings everyone!

Last edited:
You guys see what happened to Microsoft Flight Simulator with the latest update (SU5)? PC graphics quality has been reduced immensely in some areas, and in some cases all areas.

- Draw distance greatly shortened.
- Buildings and textures and mountains pop up now in the distance when you move your head around
- Textures blurry
- Clouds look terrible now
- UI scaling off (at least on my 4K settings) and I have to change them every time I fly.
- Color saturation way off, game looks cartoony instead of photorealistic
- Crash to desktop (though this may have been resolved by now)
- Much much more, the Flight Simulator forum threads / Steam threads are full off issues with Update 5.

I'd love to know if Asobo Studio/Microsoft plans to bring back our photorealistic ultra graphics back to PC or if they plan to keep it this way, if anyone knows lets hear it and I'd love if PC Gamer could investigate.

TRENDING THREADS