When to build a new PC and other questions

Jun 29, 2020
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I’m a lapsed PC gamer, built my last PC in 2009 and never upgraded so so the last few years I’ve been playing exclusively on PS4. I’m now starting to think about next gen gaming, and neither the Xbox nor PS5 have the kind of killer exclusives that would make them must buys (I picked the PS4 to play Bloodborne and never regretted that choice!)

As such a gaming PC is back in contention for me. I’d be looking at max £1000 so the RPS rig (https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/05/13/the-rps-rig-2020/) seems ideal but with the next gen consoles launching at the end of the year, I want to ensure I build a PC that will go the distance.

Are there any big launches for e.g graphics cards/processors in the next 6-9 months that would significantly alter the options available in the budget market? Does it make more sense to wait for e.g. January next year?

Also, if I’m looking at a 24 inch monitor would there be any reason to target more than a 1080p resolution?

Thanks in advance

Is it £1000 including the monitor, or £1000 for the PC, and then a monitor with a separate budget? If the latter, how much for the monitor?

There are big launches expected throughout the rest of the year, from September time, new GPUs from Nvidia and AMD and new CPUs from AMD, though it tends to be top-end parts that launch first especially in the GPU arena, so more mid-range parts you'd be looking at might only appear a bit later. A bit maybe being weeks only, or months.

It's more a question of how soon you want to get into gaming i if it's now, there are plenty of valid things to buy now.

Jun 29, 2020
Visit site
Is it £1000 including the monitor, or £1000 for the PC, and then a monitor with a separate budget? If the latter, how much for the monitor?

I'm hoping to get a new monitor within the £1k, as I'm currently using the one from 2009 which wasn't great even then. Back then 4k was not a concept and I'm not sure if it only comes into play on larger screns. It feels like for a 1k machine I'd be more sensible targeting good performance at 1080p anyway.

I'm happy to wait until January if there's launches coming up in Q4; still got the PS4 and Ghost of Tsushima will keep me busy for a while! From what you've said it sounds like the new high end launches will trickle down to my price bracket by then?

TRENDING THREADS