What's your favorite game within another game?

As examples of what I'm talking about. I was thinking about Balatro and all the card games I've enjoyed on PC and realized that some of the ones I enjoyed the most were actually embedded within other games.

Fallout New Vegas: Caravan
The Witcher 3: Gwent
Resident Evil 7: 21 (which is kind of like a very simplified blackjack version of Balatro)

I'm going to count 21 even though it was a DLC.

Out of these, I guess my favorite was, in fact, 21.

So what's your favorite game within another game? Things like Garry's Mod or Roblox or the Fortnite Crapcade don't count.

See also:

Seems like last time I couldn't really think of a good one and nothing comes to mind right now, though I feel like there's a specific one I'm forgetting.

Oh, I thought of one: Tiny Chao Garden from Sonic Adventures on the Game Boy Advance. I didn't even like Sonic that much.

There was also Chocobo World, a minigame for Final Fantasy VIII, which ran separately from the main game, in which you could level up a Chocobo and send the items it found to your FF8 game. Too bad that as a kid I had no idea what to do with those items, but the minigame was still fun.

My kid is also good at making up her own games within the game we play together. For example, in Stardew Valley we often end up playing House, where I have to play her child and she takes me to Evelyn's house to "visit the grandparents" or we go to the restored community center and pretend it's a school or we go to the pool and get swimming lessons.

She also likes playing hide and seek in Boomerang Fu. One of the power ups turns your character into a piece of scenery when you stand still, so one of us closes our eyes and the other one hides somewhere. It's basically prop hunt.
Getting the right power up is a pain though, as it's completely random which one you'll get. I'm pretty sure we often spend longer looking for the power up than actually playing hide and seek once we've found it.

I mentioned Far Cry 5's Arcade in the post Pifanjr linked, which would be my favorite of all I've tried—there's just tons of content there.

There are also target and skeet shooting side games in some FCs which are fun—unlike the racing or flying side games which I both don't like and suck at.

Many more indie games have little minis scattered thru them—jigsaws are always popular, and can be a nice 5-min break. My fav among Indies are the 3 mini word games included with word game Amazing Pyramids Rebirth—I got top of the leaderboard for 2 of 'em for a while :)

See also:

Seems like last time I couldn't really think of a good one and nothing comes to mind right now, though I feel like there's a specific one I'm forgetting.
I originally intended for this to only be about card games, but got rushed and forgot what I was doing. :ROFLMAO:

Sorry all.

i suppose that card game in shovel knight wasn't bad. had a layer of complexity and made it easy to play and commit time to. I would have played gwent more if i could get more cards easier and i could figure out who were easy players to build up cards etc. but gave up on it near the start of the game tbh.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts