Whats the best sci-fi series of all time?

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
The thing about science fiction is, its really easy to do bad science fiction. But when its good its better then anything else. (O.K fantasy works the same way).
BSG(!) and Firefly I loved, and I have very fond memories of TNG and DS9 from when I was a kid.

Ones no one mentioned yet, maybe they arent all in space with shooty laser ships but I still consider them Scifi...

Black Mirror. There's been episodes that have been incredible, among the best I've seen like San Junipero and even if some are very hard to watch not a one that's not interesting.

Sense 8 by the Wachowski sisters of Matrix fame and co created /written by J Michael Straczynski. Its a weird one about a telepathic/empathic link between 8 different characters from all over the world. Cancelled unfortunately

The OA, that show got me by the feels. Dimensional travel, psychic power and near death experiences. Got cancelled as well though.

(Its cold outside, there's no kind of atmosphere, I'm alone alone, more or less...)

Star Trek (all of it, for better or worse, its all good to me)

Babylon 5 (The Shadows were hands down the coolest looking aliens to me when i was younger, even with the outdated graphics by todays standards, they still looking menacing)

12 Monkeys

Stargate

May 2, 2020
Visit site
Not sure if I can call it favourite never thought about categories things this way but series I enjoy;

Stargate,
Expanse,
Dr. Who (Seasons with Matt Smith and David Tennant)
West World
Dark Matter (Haven’t finished)
Black Mirror (some episodes only)
Star Trek Discovery and Picard.

May 3, 2020
Visit site
#1 Stargate SG1
#2 Farscape
#3 Andromeda
#4 Sliders
#5 Firefly

Boom, booom!

P.s. Met Ben Browder and had a fit from excitement... had to have the picture taken again.

y9tbaveo

Last edited:
Reactions: Frindis
Jun 5, 2020
Visit site
There's really no doubt that Star Trek is the best. And popularity would overwhelming agree! It's great to start with the original but you can skip it if you want and start with The Next Generation and keep going in order with Deep Space 9, and Voyager. You can skip Enterprise, but it's okay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: indigit5l
There's really no doubt that Star Trek is the best. And popularity would overwhelming agree! It's great to start with the original but you can skip it if you want and start with The Next Generation and keep going in order with Deep Space 9, and Voyager. You can skip Enterprise, but it's okay.
I tried rewatching Voyager a while ago but it was so cringeworthy, I just couldn't continue.

@SWard I'm roughly 7 episodes in Farscape and so far it is pretty good. I especially like Dominar Rygel XVI and Pa'u Zotoh Zhaan. Rygel for his at times strange and witty personality and Zhaan for her mysterious persona and moral compass for the group. I'm not completely sold on John Crichton yet as he comes out a little too cheesy for my taste. I hope this character gets a bit more character later on. The stories and special effects have so far been quite good for the first episodes.

Sep 3, 2020
Visit site
Has to be for me dr who , firefly but its kinda sucked it only had one season the film serenity is sick no one said buffy the vampire slayer i had a thing for willow and Tara , i also love startrek and x files

Right now I am watching Expanse on Twitch Prime and Mandalorian on Disney +.

Soon at season 3 in Expanse. Good character development, a solid story where it is not always that easy to pick sides. Impressive special effects and some solid acting. Seems like they worked a lot on making space feel like space and not just a shuttle plowing around without any care.

Mandalorian I'm still at season 1, but man, it really feels like Star Wars! The main protagonist is really cool, Baby Yoda is insanely cute and the side missions, music, visual effects, and just about everything else feels spot on. I'm very interested in seeing how the story will evolve around Baby Yoda. Also, Bill Burrr as trash-talking mercenary haha!:)

Reactions: Pifanjr
Oct 8, 2020
Visit site
I don't have any kids, but I guess this is what it feels like to choose a favorite.
Of course BSG, Star Trek and The Expanse are among my favorites. The Expanse novels are also highly recommended.

But a few other shows come to mind:

Almost Human (2013)
Ran for only one season, but really enjoyed it. Featuring Karl Urban and Michael Ealy.

Stargate Universe (2009-2011)
I really really liked this one. It was a bit slow at times, but man, the discovery of "a structure behind creation, a structure visible in the background radiation" (if I remember correctly) really got me. A really cool hard scifi concept. I almost cried when it was cancelled. Also, I totally didn't watch it for Julia Benson's boobies. Was she in it? Really? I did not know that. I had no idea...

Space: Above and Beyond (1995-1996)
Marines in space. Always cool. Probably isn't as cool a show when I watch it today, but I remember it as really cool. Please don't rob me of my cool memories.

Sliders (1995-2000)
This should be remade. I mean, who wouldn't wanna run away from this world right now, right?

Colony (2016-2018)
Felt a bit like the "V" (1984) of our generation. Fine, fine... your generation (God, I feel old).

Rick & Morty
This can be classified as scifi right? Probably the best show in the multiverse.

Oct 8, 2020
Visit site
If you're that old, how are you not listing off Land of the Lost!? Yeah yeah, Chacka never did get eaten by Alice, but still!

I had to look that one up. I don't think that was aired in the Netherlands. Also, I'm just wee bit younger than that ;-)

I'm assuming you meant the 70's version? I think I've seen the 2009 movie with Will Ferrell, but after reading some user reviews I'm happy with not quite remembering it...

Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
I'd say it's a close one between.

Farscape - The imaginative galaxy and alien designs plus the aliens being alien looking but also practical effects.

and

Killjoys - Seriously the fact this show doesn't get more love is criminal. A decent mostly complete 5 season set of arcs with only a few plot threads hanging. Starts off like an episodic show with an overarching plotline then transitions into full on continuing plotline. Also it tackles a lot of big Sci-Fi concepts about what it means to be human as it went on but without getting pretentious about it.

I really wish Firefly had gotten a chance to get another couple seasons. I think a 3-4 season arc would have been truly revolutionary TV. Very grateful they got the Serenity film though (which I loved, but also saw before seeing the TV show).

My favorite is Star Trek, both original series and the Next Generation. The original series was just as much a horror show as it was sci-fi, which gave it an additional layer.

I really enjoyed the show Defiance on Syfy. Painfully underrated series. Fringe was also pretty great until that last season, which basically ruined the show for me. It really sucks when a show goes so far off the rails that it takes it's legacy with it. *cough*Lost*cough*.

I liked Defiance (and the game oddly) but I couldn't stomach the 3rd series. I watched the first episode of Season 3 and it felt like they wanted to do their own Game of Thrones moment and just screw that, screw that whole start, screw the potential for good stories they threw away in that episode just for cheap shock value.

Reactions: Zloth

TRENDING THREADS