What's a game everyone seems to love, but you just can't get into?

Jul 3, 2024
Visit site
I've been thinking about popular games that just don't click for me, no matter how much I try. For instance, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. I know it's critically acclaimed and loved by millions, but I can't seem to get into it. I've tried multiple times, but the combat feels clunky to me, and I find the story pacing a bit slow. The world is beautiful, sure, but I just can't connect with Geralt or get invested in the quests. I feel like I'm missing out on something great, but it just doesn't grab me. Maybe it's the RPG elements or the fantasy setting - I'm not sure. What about you? Is there a universally loved PC game that you just can't get into, no matter how hard you try? What do you think keeps you from enjoying it? I'm curious to hear your experiences!

My brain hasn't warmed up this morning yet, but I pretty much bounce off of every major AAA game, and then go back to my little indie games like all the shopkeeper games I'm playing right now or Wizard with a Gun.

I haven't given up yet, though. I still intend to play things like Baldur's Gate 3. I think I just have to be in the right mood, maybe.

This subject comes up every now and again but as its a new post i will give you a few heads up.

GTA5 ... i joined a long shop queue and then wondered why i got , riding round a car was just like any other go get xyz give it to the person who wants it , get reward and repeat till you loose the will to live. Even if it was the best game ever the constant use of the N word and the F word was a complete turn off and any game that requires headphones to stop family members being offended is a no no.

DOTA2 probably the most toxic in game chat and chat room chat i have ever come across , in the game you get abuse from your team and your opponents if they think your messing up and in the main chats almost everyone is a keyboard hero.

Guildwars 2 ... the most eagerly waited and under whelming game ever made. It arrived years over due because the makers said your not having it until were satisfied with it. The art work and preview screen shots in magazines like PC Gamer looked nothing like the end product. Everyone expected character figures similar to GW1 but better , instead we got cartoony type figures that made the game look like it was aimed a 7 year old kids. But to be fair around that time lots of games had the same cartoony type figures.

I've been thinking about popular games that just don't click for me, no matter how much I try. For instance, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. I know it's critically acclaimed and loved by millions, but I can't seem to get into it. I've tried multiple times, but the combat feels clunky to me, and I find the story pacing a bit slow. The world is beautiful, sure, but I just can't connect with Geralt or get invested in the quests. I feel like I'm missing out on something great, but it just doesn't grab me. Maybe it's the RPG elements or the fantasy setting - I'm not sure. What about you? Is there a universally loved PC game that you just can't get into, no matter how hard you try? What do you think keeps you from enjoying it? I'm curious to hear your experiences!

I ended up enjoying The Witcher 3, but when I first started playing it, the combat did take a while to get used to. I found that it was mainly due to needing to grind a bit to upgrade skills, weapons, and gear. Most heavy RPG type games are this way, and even some of the Assassin's Creed games that were turned into RPGs with dialog choices are as well.

I had the same issues with Skyrim, another game that can take a lot of grinding. I found some good tips online how to level up quickly though, and although much of it was absurd, like taking hits from Giants to upgrade armor, and crouching and slugging monks from behind to upgrade stealth, it becomes MUCH more fun to play when leveled up.

I'd have to say one game that was popular when it launched that I couldn't get into was Tribes Vengeance. It's not for disliking the game so much as it being VERY hard to play solo on anything higher than the lowest difficulty mode. There was one level where you have to take out satellite dishes that I couldn't get past. The enemy attacks were relentless.

For me its mostly genres i just dont play, not that i have never tried them, just cant get into them.

The ever-popular Battle Royale genre for example. Ive put in hours in Fortnite and Warzone (Call of Dutys BR) but its just not all that fun to me, from the mechanics to the map, its just all bleh, on top of the toxic in-game chat.

I also cant get into turn-based RPGs (Baldurs Gate 3). They are just too slow and breaks my immersion in the game. I have some favorites back in the day, but nowadays i just find them boring.

Then...the Souls-like genre. I dont care what the game is called, whether its Nioh or Elden Ring..its still Dark Souls in every way. I've played enough (beat DS2 and 3) and the whole dodge-roll, dodge-roll, dodge-roll, parry parry parry system gets boring. I get no sense of accomplishment beating these hard bosses, just annoyed with it. Then to go from beating a super hard boss to getting 1 shot in the back by a rock that pushed you off a cliff somehow? Nah.

McStabStab

Community Contributor
I really do like Real Time Strategy as well as Turn Based Strategy, but Grand Strategy games I've never enjoyed. I put 23 hours into Europa Universalis IV trying to get into it and I just never did.

Another genre that falls flat with me are 2D platformers. I played so many as a kid that as an adult I'm just like, "we're back to this again eh?" I played 5 hours of Cuphead and got through the first world before putting it down. My friends and family try to get me to play Celeste or Hollow Knight or Prince of Persia but I just can't do it.

For me its mostly genres i just dont play, not that i have never tried them, just cant get into them.

It's similar for me. I never was into isometric, scroll, or strategy type games, and I mostly stay away from fantasy and magic type games. In fact, between my limited preferences and a lot of games releasing in such horrible condition, it's been like a bit of a drought for me lately.

Zloth

Community Contributor
I feel like I'm missing out on something great, but it just doesn't grab me. Maybe it's the RPG elements or the fantasy setting - I'm not sure.
You are! But there's probably no fixing it. Just as game makers can't make a game that pleases everybody, game players can't enjoy every game that deserves it.

For me, Disco Elysium (just too dark and nasty), and Total War: Empire, which I really should like - but just somehow don't.

P.S. Sort your Steam library by metacritic score and you can find a bunch of these easy.

Jul 3, 2024
Visit site
My brain hasn't warmed up this morning yet, but I pretty much bounce off of every major AAA game, and then go back to my little indie games like all the shopkeeper games I'm playing right now or Wizard with a Gun.

I haven't given up yet, though. I still intend to play things like Baldur's Gate 3. I think I just have to be in the right mood, maybe.
Thank You for putting pressure on your brain :sweatsmile: :sweatsmile: (y)(y)

This subject comes up every now and again but as its a new post i will give you a few heads up.

GTA5 ... i joined a long shop queue and then wondered why i got , riding round a car was just like any other go get xyz give it to the person who wants it , get reward and repeat till you loose the will to live. Even if it was the best game ever the constant use of the N word and the F word was a complete turn off and any game that requires headphones to stop family members being offended is a no no.

DOTA2 probably the most toxic in game chat and chat room chat i have ever come across , in the game you get abuse from your team and your opponents if they think your messing up and in the main chats almost everyone is a keyboard hero.

Guildwars 2 ... the most eagerly waited and under whelming game ever made. It arrived years over due because the makers said your not having it until were satisfied with it. The art work and preview screen shots in magazines like PC Gamer looked nothing like the end product. Everyone expected character figures similar to GW1 but better , instead we got cartoony type figures that made the game look like it was aimed a 7 year old kids. But to be fair around that time lots of games had the same cartoony type figures.
You have some really popular games on your list

I ended up enjoying The Witcher 3, but when I first started playing it, the combat did take a while to get used to. I found that it was mainly due to needing to grind a bit to upgrade skills, weapons, and gear. Most heavy RPG type games are this way, and even some of the Assassin's Creed games that were turned into RPGs with dialog choices are as well.

I had the same issues with Skyrim, another game that can take a lot of grinding. I found some good tips online how to level up quickly though, and although much of it was absurd, like taking hits from Giants to upgrade armor, and crouching and slugging monks from behind to upgrade stealth, it becomes MUCH more fun to play when leveled up.

I'd have to say one game that was popular when it launched that I couldn't get into was Tribes Vengeance. It's not for disliking the game so much as it being VERY hard to play solo on anything higher than the lowest difficulty mode. There was one level where you have to take out satellite dishes that I couldn't get past. The enemy attacks were relentless.
I mean how

The ever-popular Battle Royale genre for example. Ive put in hours in Fortnite and Warzone (Call of Dutys BR) but its just not all that fun to me, from the mechanics to the map, its just all bleh, on top of the toxic in-game chat.

I also cant get into turn-based RPGs (Baldurs Gate 3). They are just too slow and breaks my immersion in the game. I have some favorites back in the day, but nowadays i just find them boring.

Then...the Souls-like genre. I dont care what the game is called, whether its Nioh or Elden Ring..its still Dark Souls in every way. I've played enough (beat DS2 and 3) and the whole dodge-roll, dodge-roll, dodge-roll, parry parry parry system gets boring. I get no sense of accomplishment beating these hard bosses, just annoyed with it. Then to go from beating a super hard boss to getting 1 shot in the back by a rock that pushed you off a cliff somehow? Nah.
Okie!

I really do like Real Time Strategy as well as Turn Based Strategy, but Grand Strategy games I've never enjoyed. I put 23 hours into Europa Universalis IV trying to get into it and I just never did.

Another genre that falls flat with me are 2D platformers. I played so many as a kid that as an adult I'm just like, "we're back to this again eh?" I played 5 hours of Cuphead and got through the first world before putting it down. My friends and family try to get me to play Celeste or Hollow Knight or Prince of Persia but I just can't do it.
Okie!

You are! But there's probably no fixing it. Just as game makers can't make a game that pleases everybody, game players can't enjoy every game that deserves it.

For me, Disco Elysium (just too dark and nasty), and Total War: Empire, which I really should like - but just somehow don't.

P.S. Sort your Steam library by metacritic score and you can find a bunch of these easy.
Okie Thank You :relaxed:

Mine are elaborated on a little in post #11 from the thread a few months ago.

Fallout 4
Bioshock series
Borderlands 2
Dishonored series
Crysis 2 & 3
Sniper Ghost Warrior 2
Recent Tomb Raiders and Assassins Creeds, Control and MGS5
Horizon ZD games
These are popular games right here

Threads like this are good to have on repeat every now and then, as people's answers may change or there may be new people. and no one really wants to post in ancient threads.

Plus, new threads are what search engines want to see the most as far as internal content goes.
Thank You so much

Jul 2, 2024
Visit site
It's such a shame that my friends still dodge such amazing projects like Outer Wilds (not to be confused with Outer Worlds!), Bomb Rush Cyberfunk, and even Hi-Fi Rush. I mean, despite my recommendations, my friends either put these games on the backlog or just aren't hooked from the start.

In my opinion, these are truly hidden gems. While the last two are quite niche, OW has an incredible story!

Okie Thank You :relaxed:
Just FYI. If it helps, you can quote multiple people in the same post. You just start a response and go back and click on "Reply" on all the responses you want to respond to.
Thank You so much
As I did here.
These are popular games right here
And here.

You can also delete parts of their responses to keep the size down. Nothing wrong with doing it your way, but this might save you some time or make your threads more compact. :)

OW has an incredible story!
I tried Outer Wilds, but the story didn't really hook me. I flew to the ruins and got a bunch of cryptic messages, then tried to find something else there, because it seemed there would be more, but I couldn't figure out where to go or what to do.

At which point I felt like the game expected me to just keep trying random stuff without giving any feedback on whether it was going to pay off and I dropped it. I don't want to spend the rare hour gaming time I get every few days running around without making any progress.

Been mulling over this for a few days and I'm sure there's more, but the one that really sticks in my head is Final Fantasy and in particular, 6.

I played through it in it's entirety for a game challenge and it didn't take me long to just absolutely hate it. I have no idra why this series is so universally popular in the States and Dragon Quest isn't.

I can't answer this question as the list would be too long.

Lots of games I just don't want to play.

Luckily there are a few I do...
It's such a shame that my friends still dodge such amazing projects like Outer Wilds (not to be confused with Outer Worlds!), Bomb Rush Cyberfunk, and even Hi-Fi Rush. I mean, despite my recommendations, my friends either put these games on the backlog or just aren't hooked from the start.

In my opinion, these are truly hidden gems. While the last two are quite niche, OW has an incredible story!
We are all different. What you love might be boring to others. Its just how it is.

Some people don't play games for the story, they play for the game play. I am in that camp. Too many games are all about the story and I just skip them... hence I don't find many I want to play each year.

I think everyone should play Journey but I can't force you to.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Plus, new threads are what search engines want to see the most as far as internal content goes.
Getting off topic, but can they even get to threads that aren't on the first page? Unless maybe the "I am a search engine indexer" flag makes the website show a lot more topics on the first page. Google doesn't care about formatting.

Getting off topic, but can they even get to threads that aren't on the first page? Unless maybe the "I am a search engine indexer" flag makes the website show a lot more topics on the first page. Google doesn't care about formatting.
They can definitely get to threads not on the first page, but how they decide whether to do that, or when, I don't know.

I don't know how Google does it as they don't use a bot. I believe websites have to put something in their code for google to look at the pages. Obviously SEO people want to know all right terms but I don't mean it in that regard. Might just be a code or something.

Other search engines do use bots and might sit one on a New posts page to catch new traffic.

I know Bing can access old posts here. Its possible some of them are the results of people searching for terms.

Jul 2, 2024
Visit site
We are all different. What you love might be boring to others. Its just how it is.

Some people don't play games for the story, they play for the game play. I am in that camp. Too many games are all about the story and I just skip them... hence I don't find many I want to play each year.

I think everyone should play Journey but I can't force you to.

You're right, mate. I'm not a fan of rogue-likes and RTS games at all. But many people do enjoy them!

Even Journey has always struck me as a rather straightforward adventure (which doesn't mean it can't have a great story), and I've somehow managed to avoid playing it.

I tried Outer Wilds, but the story didn't really hook me. I flew to the ruins and got a bunch of cryptic messages, then tried to find something else there, because it seemed there would be more, but I couldn't figure out where to go or what to do.

At which point I felt like the game expected me to just keep trying random stuff without giving any feedback on whether it was going to pay off and I dropped it. I don't want to spend the rare hour gaming time I get every few days running around without making any progress.

I understand you. At one point, I almost gave up on System Shock because sometimes it wasn’t clear what to do. That’s a similar issue with OW; you need to explore, read logs, and immerse yourself in the lore, in my opinion. Overall, I found it pretty straightforward, with guidance on where to go next. I only got stuck once, and that was at the very end.

But of course, I’m not trying to force you to play it. I can understand what it's like when you don't have much time for games and want to spend it wisely.

Jul 3, 2024
Visit site

It's really frustrating when you suggest or recommend games to your friends again and again and they don't listen to you it really sucks man i can feel you

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts