A game you wanted to like but you just couldn't?

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Feb 26, 2024
Visit site
I can think of two games I'd love to play but can't because they are too difficult for me.
I love FPS but some are either made to be hard on purpose to suit a certain demographic and/or don't have an easy difficulty level setting.

Aliens: Fireteam Elite and Elden Ring.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Dec 5, 2023
Visit site
Many over the years but the standouts for me as I think....

The BIG two that everyone will gasp at.

Any game in the Fallout franchise. Granted I was much younger at the time I tried Fallout 3, but I just didn't enjoy it - story kicked off too slow, back then if I wasn't blowing something up in the first 15 minutes, it just wasn't fun
*Disclaimer* I am into different games now that I am older and more patient - I recently picked up FO 4 and FO NV for 10$ combined and will be dipping into the franchise again (its been about 14 years) - hopefully adult me can be more patient. I desperately want to like Fallout, its such a staple in gaming history - one of those franchises that is on most peoples "You NEED to play this game" list. Fingers crossed it goes better this time.

2. Any game in the Final Fantasy franchise... It was a VERY long time ago - Played a little bit of FF8 but that was before I knew anything about PC's. This game prompted my first GPU purchase, a 3dFX 16MB Voodoo 3 2000 PCI graphics card! After several hours of gameplay the 10GB 5400 RPM hard drive in my 800Mhz Athlon Thunderbird based system bit the dust and the save games were never recovered. I have never picked up an FF game since (not the game's fault, but left me sour)

FF is for sure on my "want to like" list. I just need to actually commit and pick one up. FF is a genre defining game, it is for many people the best franchise to come out of Sony ever... I'd like to be able to say I have experienced it at least once. Perhaps I could dig into the FF8 remaster one of these days.

Other standouts

-Destiny 2 - this WAS a good game once upon a time. Now its just a huge cash\time suck... I hope you LOVE to grind, cause that's what your doing for the next 20 years lol
-Warframe - turned to this as a replacement for Destiny 2. Good game, but one thing keeping me from liking it - Microtransactions
-EVE online - Learning curve was just too steep for me to sink the time into, but this one is still on my radar.
-Remnant: From the Ashes... cant recall why.. I got about an hour into it and just didn't like it
-Lords of the Fallen & For Honor - Controls and combat mechanics just felt wonky on these 2
-Borderlands TPS - if you played the previous games, there is nothing new here at all... this could have been a DLC for BL2 - Do yourself a favor and skip this one (try Tiny Tina's Wonderlands instead)
-Halo Infinite: I dunno, it just left me kind of empty after I finished it, like "oh...thats it; THATS how they end it all!?" I just expected more (probably my fault on this one, the hype got me)
-Jedi: Fallen Order - just poorly optimized, fix the game and it might be fun.
-Sleeping Dogs, Outriders, Watch Dogs, Space Hulk: Deathwing - the list goes on.

*Edit: Grammar

Zloth

Community Contributor
Perhaps I could dig into the FF8 remaster one of these days.
<gasp!> Nooooo, not 8! Maybe you're getting your numbers confused? Final Fantasy 7 was a great game with a great story. FF8 had you 'pulling' spells from enemies, turning fights into a major bore, and a very weak story. It isn't getting re-made. Final Fantasy X is the one with a re-master, and that one was pretty good.

<gasp!> Nooooo, not 8! Maybe you're getting your numbers confused? Final Fantasy 7 was a great game with a great story. FF8 had you 'pulling' spells from enemies, turning fights into a major bore, and a very weak story. It isn't getting re-made. Final Fantasy X is the one with a re-master, and that one was pretty good.

I agree, 8 is a pretty terrible game. Especially if you know how the game works, as it's very easy (but very tedious) to break the game and get way too OP. If you don't know how the game works however, you risk overleveling and getting stuck struggling against the level scaled enemies.

Only two games come to my mind…

The big one is Myst. I really wanted to like the game because it‘s Myst and the game has influenced so many games afterwards.
I am actually angry with myself for not even finishing it, but I have paused it for a while now and I‘ve forgotten my progress, so I would have to restart anyways. And this is probably not going to happen.
However, even though I don‘t like it, I still respect the game for its history and impact on the game development.

The second one is The Uncertain: Last quiet Day.
Actually, I have played this game twice, but the first time must have been so boring that I completely forgot about it. When I recently found the game in my library, I thought I would play it for the first time. The mechanics felt clonky and unfortunately, I could remember all the solutions to the puzzles, so they felt far too easy to be enjoyable. It‘s a pity, because from its story and topic it would be a perfect match. :confused_old:

Dec 5, 2023
Visit site
I agree, 8 is a pretty terrible game. Especially if you know how the game works, as it's very easy (but very tedious) to break the game and get way too OP. If you don't know how the game works however, you risk overleveling and getting stuck struggling against the level scaled enemies.
honestly cant remember the details. this was all the way back in late 90's - I want to say the protagonist was Cloud? I remember some sort of Diablo spell that called forth a massive fire demon. It was alot of walking around and randomly being thrown into the battle menu as you wander across an enemy you didn't see on the map - As I said it it was a very long time ago, and many years of parties in between now and then lol

Last edited:

Zloth

Community Contributor
honestly cant remember the details. this was all the way back in late 90's - I want to say the protagonist was Cloud? I remember some sort of Diablo spell that called forth a massive fire demon. It was alot of walking around and randomly being thrown into the battle menu as you wander across an enemy you didn't see on the map - As I said it it was a very long time ago, and many years of parties in between now and then lol
What do you mean "long time ago?" I was out of college and working, just like today. Can't be THAT long ago! ;)

But yeah, the protagonist of 7 is Cloud. That's the one they are remaking. Part 1 is out, Part 2 is out for consoles but not PC yet. And, of course, the original is on Steam.

Some of it may be hard to remember simply because it got... a little weird. Like being attacked by houses that turned into demons. They had a lot of fun with that in the remake.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts