What was your first RPG?

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!

Sarafan

Community Contributor
@Sarafan - I do, I just took a shot of it yesterday morning.

I envy this gem. :) I miss the big boxes as well. Don't have too many of them, but I can't deny that they have a unique style. I still remember times when big game boxes occupied shelves in stores. I loved the view. Now physical distribution is really on the margin and big boxes are completely absent.

While digital games are really the only way to install a game nowadays, but I do miss having real game manuals, the occasional cloth map, or oddities like that hardcover book in Stonekeep.

I especially miss the goodies. Cloth maps aren't available even in collectors editions.

Wish they would be remade and kept as top-down, turn-based RPG's.

Did you try ATOM RPG? I know that it's not good times to recommend Russian products, but the game is a spiritual successor of the first two Fallout games.

You all mentioned Fallout 1 and 2, and those were my first RPG's that weren't in the fantasy genre.
Those games were my first introduction into a non-fantasy world as well, and the first I'd played in a post-apocalyptic setting. While I loved the 1st person Fallouts that came later, the character building, story & lore, and turn-based combat system of Fallouts 1 & 2 are still the best.

Loved those games, though. Wish they would be remade and kept as top-down, turn-based RPG's.
I'd love to see it, but since Bethesda owns the rights to the Fallout universe, I have doubts that we'd ever see a top-down, turn-based remake(s). There are modded remakes in the works for both FO 1 & 2, but both are in 1st person. I was going to link some videos, but they're kind of longish, but if you do a search for Fallout 1 (or 2) remake you could find them.

I didn't pay attention to gaming news and had never heard of them.
Back in those days, I had monthly subscriptions to 3 gaming magazines from where I got my gaming news & reviews: PC Gamer, Computer Gaming World, and Computer Games and Strategy Plus. Only PCG survived the magazine apocalypse (and I still have a monthly subscription), but I used to love comparing previews & reviews across all three.

Did you try ATOM RPG? I know that it's not good times to recommend Russian products, but the game is a spiritual successor of the first two Fallout games.
From the videos on the Steam store page, it definitely has that Fallout 1 & 2 feeling. I've had it wish-listed for awhile now.

Last edited:
I tried Fallout (2?) once and got into a random encounter with some radscorpions. Apparently none of my characters could hit the broad side of a barn, even with an automatic gun, so I got wiped.
I died a lot early on in both FO 1 & 2, your character (as well as any companions you find) can't hit anything consistently, and the random encounters could be brutal (but they weren't always combat oriented if I remember correctly). Your character has to build his skills up to become effective. I actually love that kind of approach to RPGs, but it can be frustrating at first.

Reactions: Pifanjr

TRENDING THREADS