What was the first video game you remember playing?

Page 3 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Jan 16, 2020
Visit site
From what I can recall it was a pong game, either on atari 2600 or on a dedicated pong console. I'm 35 and it was while my family was on vacation in new mexico and staying at a cabin. I would have been about 4 or 5 at the time. I loved it so much! And honestly pong is still fun. I think that's what convined my dad to get us our first nintendo console which he proceeded to hog until he got so mad at Super Mario Bros 3 he never played video games again lol.

Pong and Frogger on VIC-20, the one with the cassette deck. Crazy how long ago that was, yet not long ago at all.

Shuffleboard, Choplifter, and Castle Wolfenstein on Apple ][e

Avoid the Noid, New York Warrior, Army, Gulf War, and Tank Wars/Bomb on MS-DOS 4.0

Commando on the amstrad. i was 4 back then and it was the simplest game to learn and play. Probably influenced my fav genre of shoot em ups at the time.

But first PC (so windows game?) i think it might have been D\generation, mega race, 7th guest or some star wars alliance game. Doom 2 came later.

Reactions: Anak_lanang
The first game I remember playing was probably Super Mario Bros on the Gameboy. The first system / game I owned was a SNES with Super Mario Kart.

PC games-wise, I remember first playing a demo of Hocus Pocus. Really not sure what my first owned game was but I remember the Quake games being a highlight.

Reactions: Anak_lanang
First I can remember would be Alley Cat, on a computer at my dad's office.

A much more vivid memory is the first game I wanted, bought, installed and played on my first PC, which was Ultima VIII: Pagan. Such a downgrade from Ultima VII which I'd already played at that point at a friends place.

Reactions: Frindis
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
I remember when i was about 14 years old and was with my father at the local store and saw a copy of Ghost Recon Desert Siege sittin' of the shelf and he told me that if i was gonna get good grades he will eventually buy for me.Months passed by and somewhat he "forgot" about the promise but i once again,visited the store and told him about the game,he was a bit relentless but in the end he bought me the game,just to came back home and noticed it was the expansion,head over again to the store with my pops being angry but managed to get the base game,for a higher price obvious.That was the first time i came in contact with video games,and since then i casually play diverse genres,from horror,adventure games to rpg/simulation

That brings back memories. Such a fun game to play! Oh, did you manage to avoid using the magic carpet on your Black Gate run? I have to admit, I was tempted:)

I spent most of my time messing with the game world honestly, trying to bake bread or forge weapons or bust into the castles treasure room where I could see a musket or something from memory? I was eight years old at the time and lacked the attention span to make much progress beyond murder-hoboing my way around Britannia.

Reactions: Frindis
Jan 29, 2020
Visit site
I remember playing Naruto Ninja Council on a gameboy emulator on the PC as a kid. My uncle let me play a bit, and it was the middle of a boss fight with Brock Lee. I did not know how to move/fight at all, and died.

There was also this Jurassic Park game that I was bad at. I think at the start of some level, this annoying pterodactyl would catch you bring you to air, and I was just stuck with it because I didn't know what to do. Eventually, the character either gets brought to a dinosaur nest, or he uses a syringe on the pterodactyl to get down (if I mashed buttons enough). Now that I think of it, I'm not even sure if that was a Jurassic Park video game. I didn't even know about the franchise as a kid. All I remember about it was that it had dinosaurs, you played as a man (he probably a straw hat), it was a 2D side scroller (pixel art I think), and you had syringes and guns.

Lastly there was Alien. Another 2D side scroller, unlike the other 2 games I knew what I was doing (a bit). I identified the aliens as "goats" because that's what they looked like.

Another game I remember from early in my childhood was Jurassic Park for the Sega Genesis (also an emulator, also on my uncle's computer) had really vivid memories about being caught by a pterodactyl over and over again because I kept failing the level, and didn't know what to do because kids like me are bad at games. I would stay at a dinosaur nest after I slaughtered all of its children because I was terrified of the dinosaurs that existed beyond.

Lastly, there was Alien (probably the Sega Genesis too). As a bad as I was with games, at least in this one I remember being somewhat competent with this one, as in I don't just stay in location of the game and hope to not die. I still failed miserably though. I thought the aliens were "goats" because they looked like they were ramming, that's what I thought goats do as a kid.
1580326352193.png

The picture above shows a scene I remember vividly. Here is where the goat alien would ambush me. When I first played this part of the game I was surprised by it. In my next attempts of the level (if you thought I would finish this level, sorry, kids suck at games), I figured out I could go down the ladder, wait for the alien to come, and shoot him from below. It was the first time I figured out something in a video game, and I felt proud for it. Until the people stuck to the walls had aliens bursting out of them and I failed the level, that is.

Those were my earliest memories with games, sorry I couldn't just say firmly, "this was my first game", because I grew up with games during my childhood, and I had really bad memory from back then. Heck, I only knew Naruto Ninja Council because I played it later in my life, and the other 2 games only because I looked them up just now.

Still think Alien 3 is terrifying though.

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
Could be Pong - but it was probably some game from either Atari at friend's house or borrowed Pegasus (Eastern Europe's SNES clone). River Raid? Maybe.

I know what I played on PC first - Doom II, Turok and Carmageddon. I was scared of the barons of hell as a kid so much I couldn't play levels with them lol

Feb 6, 2020
Visit site
Hi, I'm PlasticMe. Started gaming when my dad built a games console in the 1970's with tennis on it. From there it went on to the ZX80/81 and the Spectrum along with Apple IIe and a few computers since. First games I remember (and I forget a lot these days) are Space Invaders, Manic Miner, Galaxians and Wizardry.

I mostly like open world games such as the Assassin's Creed and GTA series. I got talked into playing Minecraft, which I really did not want to play, and find it better than I expected, begrudgingly.

I am not a skilled gamer by any means but enjoy the escapism.

Reactions: apuyvia22 and Mazer

TRENDING THREADS