what version of windows 11 and why and how?

Jul 29, 2024
Visit site
I know I'm stuck with Windows 11 for my new PC, but the myriad plethora of choices is confusing. I've been using Windows 10 pro.
It appears I can get Windows 11 pro on a DVD for about the same price as the digital download. Have I missed something?

I also see prices for keys to register Win 11 from $11 on up to $139. How can I know what I'm getting? I will never need more than 125GB of memory so I could use Win 11 home, but I've read that with the home version I can't control when Microsloth forces updates on me. I like to be able to have control of my stuff.

I'd really appreciate some knowledge and understanding about the various ways of getting and activating Win 11 and which version I need for video editing and 3D drawing.
thanks
Joe

[Mod edit: formatting clean-up]

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum :)

I'm stuck with Windows 11

Knowledgeable techs rate it as good as Win 10 now, so don't worry on that score. I get the personal preference side of it tho, I'm quite happy on Win 10 and have no intention of changing until it 'happens'.

prices for keys to register Win 11 from $11 on up to $139. How can I know what I'm getting?

Via research. Loads of scams out there, so make sure your seller has a long reliable track record. Beware of OEM keys which are 'married' to the first machine they're installed on—ie you can't use the key on your next PC.

with the home version I can't control when Microsloth forces updates on me

That's not true.

Personally I create a Restore Point and image my system disk [see my sig] before the 2nd Tuesday of the month—gives me 2 ways to control things without staying vulnerable to malware.

which version I need for video editing and 3D drawing

Any version will do for that.

Reactions: Why_Me
Jul 29, 2024
Visit site
Many thanks for all the responses. I'm feeling a little better now. I've been happy with Win 10. I went to an office store and played a bit with a Win 11 laptop and didn't see anything I couldn't deal with. It looked like things like Device Manager and such were still accessible. Maybe all the bad vibes are just that....vibes. Thanks again.
Joe

Reactions: Brian Boru
The biggest differences between win 10 and 11 are on the surface. The UI and where some of the settings are located has changed.
I got it 3 years ago and spent some time trying to find the differences... there aren't many.
Once you move the start screen to the left where it should be, its just like win 10.

I guess start is different too but I only look in there once a day, to shut PC down.

As stated, you don't need Pro. Its more for businesses.

thats the good version of the advice, there is another way but it perma stops windows update which is dumb. Especially if you use Windows Defender as you won't get any new definitions.

Last edited:
Win 11: you likely to only get one cumulative update a month anyway. Second week of the month. So its easy to keep on top, it gives you an amount of time to install it (a few days) before it forces you by removing any shutdown options that don't include the update. I just run it some time during one of the days.

Its not like a restart is that slow on a new PC, you can't spare a minute or so?

I find win 10 has more updates. I have a virtual machine with win 10 in it and every time I load it I have to wait for windows update to run. Its annoying as most of the time I want to do one thing, and that isn't wait 30 minutes for windows update to run.

Jul 29, 2024
Visit site
I have one more question about Win 11. I'm assuming that after I download it from Microsloth, the version I end up with depends on the key that I have bought. Is this correct? When I looked at MS about downloading, I didn't see a selection for home vs pro so assumed the key does the selection. This is my first build. Never have done this before.

Home is the base version of the two, Pro would just have extra features. If you were to upgrade to it from win 11 Home, there is no reinstall required, just a restart to enable the extras - after changing the licence.

According to the Microsoft Store documentation, these features are exclusive to Windows 11 Pro:

• BitLocker, which helps protect data with enhanced encryption and security management
  • Remote Desktop control
  • Hyper -V for creating and running virtual machines
  • Private Catalog to access your company's apps through your own section in the Microsoft Store
  • Ability to join Azure Active Directory and connect to your school, business, or corporate network via the cloud
  • Ability to join a domain and connect to your business or corporate network

And from what I hear, Bitlocker is being added to Home as of Version 24H2 of Win 11. So that is one less thing you don't get in Pro. There isn't really anything there I feel I am missing. Group Policy is about only one I wouldn't mind having, but its not worth the extra cost.

Save your money :)

Last edited:
Lucky for me Bitlocker only enables on clean installs. So I intend to download an installer for 23H2 before it is released so I can avoid it if/when I clean install on this PC in future. I don't want it to be honest, I don't need it. I have seen it mess up enough on other peoples PC. I try to learn from other peoples mistakes. One advantage to fixing SO MANY other problems for other people :) (not here)

Aug 9, 2024
Visit site
I’ve had my fair share of cleaning up after it on other people’s PCs too, so I get it. I’m thinking of doing something similar with the 23H2 update. Prepping an installer in advance just feels safer, especially if you want to skip features you don’t need. I once came across https://bnhsoftware.com/ when I was researching ways to streamline my own setup, and it had some really solid insights that saved me a lot of hassle. Could be worth a peek if you’re looking for more tips like this.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts