Question What should I do with my build?

Mar 31, 2021
Visit site
So I have a 99 percent done pc build that’s been sitting in my desk for quite some time now and the only piece I’m missing is of course a graphics card. So I’m faced with a situation and I have a few possibilities. I could sell my pc entirely and buy a prebuilt? I could order a prebuilt and just take the gpu out and swap into mine. I also have someone willing to trade they’re pc for mine. Now I’m not super informed on parts so I am an add the specs for both and if you guys can help me decide if it’s a good idea or not.

My pc:
Case:NZXT H510 elite
Ram:32 gigs of Corsair vengeance rgb Pro
Motherboard:Asus prime x570 pro Ruben 3 AM4
PSU:Corsair rm850x
WD_Black SN750 500 gig nvme
Sea gate barracuda 2 to hard drive
2 1tb Samsung ssd 860 evo
Ryzen 7 3700x
NZXT kraken x63 280mm

his pc: Spec list: i7 10700 Cyberpower Onyxia 2 case, Gigabyte b460m D3SH AC mobo, Seasonic Focus 750w 80+ gold PSU, x2 8gb T-Force Vulcan DDR4 3000mhz ram, ADATA XPG Gammix S5 512gb M.2-2280 NVME ssd, WD Caviar blue 1tb 7200rpm hard drive, Powercolor Red Dragon 5600xt, Scythe Fuma 2.
He even said I could keep my hard drives and the ram from mine?

Last edited by a moderator:

spvtnik1

Community Contributor
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
Honestly that is a nice build. I wouldn't change anything about it. Major bummer about the graphics card... If I were you I would probably look for a used 1660 Ti or something with 6GB of VRAM that you can use in the meantime, if you can find one that is at reasonable price. BUT that is also money that would be better spent on a 30- series card of course.

So, what did I do? I had a fairly old rig so I bought a pre-built. I got a 3070, which is awesome but I originally had my eyes set on a 3080. Now I'm thinking I'll just ride out the rest of the product stack and get a 3080Ti or maybe even 4000 series later... we'll see.

IF I was in your position, I would probably get a cheaper stand-in GPU and then get the one I wanted later this year, or maybe even the next product stack.

Don't do the trade. The i7 10700 might have a bit of an edge of the 3700x but not enough to justify trading away your entire system. The GPU will make more of a difference at the end of the day.

Mar 31, 2021
Visit site
Honestly that is a nice build. I wouldn't change anything about it. Major bummer about the graphics card... If I were you I would probably look for a used 1660 Ti or something with 6GB of VRAM that you can use in the meantime, if you can find one that is at reasonable price. BUT that is also money that would be better spent on a 30- series card of course.

So, what did I do? I had a fairly old rig so I bought a pre-built. I got a 3070, which is awesome but I originally had my eyes set on a 3080. Now I'm thinking I'll just ride out the rest of the product stack and get a 3080Ti or maybe even 4000 series later... we'll see.

IF I was in your position, I would probably get a cheaper stand-in GPU and then get the one I wanted later this year, or maybe even the next product stack.

Don't do the trade. The i7 10700 might have a bit of an edge of the 3700x but not enough to justify trading away your entire system. The GPU will make more of a difference at the end of the day.

So just pick up a 1660 ti or anything similar with 6gbs of ram? Ok I’ll look into it. Thank you.

spvtnik1

Community Contributor
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
So just pick up a 1660 ti or anything similar with 6gbs of ram? Ok I’ll look into it. Thank you.

It depends on what resolution your are running at, and what games you really want to play, but that was kind of a ballpark idea of what you could actually get your hands on and may last your through the year. The market is the biggest wildcard variable here. Don't expect to be 60fps 1440p Ultra on the newest games this year, but better than sitting with no GPU :C

Mar 31, 2021
Visit site
It depends on what resolution your are running at, and what games you really want to play, but that was kind of a ballpark idea of what you could actually get your hands on and may last your through the year. The market is the biggest wildcard variable here. Don't expect to be 60fps 1440p Ultra on the newest games this year, but better than sitting with no GPU :C

I mean right now I only have a 1080p monitor plan to get a 1440p one later on. I just feel like for the prices I’m seeing graphics cards at getting a 1660ti is nuts. Maybe 500 isn’t that bad tho idk. I’m gunna keep looking around before I decide.

spvtnik1

Community Contributor
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
That is ALOT, yikes, they should be closer to $200. Considering you can buy whole pre-builts with 1660s in them for around $700-$900...

If you have a 1080p monitor you might be able to get away with a 1060 6GB. And instead of upgrading to 1440p I would then instead plan on going to 4K and upgrade the CPU and GPU down the road.

If you end up getting the GPU you want this year, also know that you can use frame scaling to increase the render resolution, so you can effective get 1440p quality on a 1080p monitor. It does make a noticeable difference.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Mar 31, 2021
Visit site
That is ALOT, yikes, they should be closer to $200. Considering you can buy whole pre-builts with 1660s in them for around $700-$900...

If you have a 1080p monitor you might be able to get away with a 1060 6GB. And instead of upgrading to 1440p I would then instead plan on going to 4K and upgrade the CPU and GPU down the road.

If you end up getting the GPU you want this year, also know that you can use frame scaling to increase the render resolution, so you can effective get 1440p quality on a 1080p monitor. It does make a noticeable difference.

ok I see a few for 300 I changed the prices around a bit there. So would you say the rest of my build is fine. Say if I wanted to grab like a 6700xt or better what cpu should I pair?

spvtnik1

Community Contributor
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
I think the 3700x still has the chops to get you gaming at 120fps at 1080p, probably even for the next year or two. If you wanted to upgrade the CPU down the road the new Ryzen Zen 3 chips are great, but I feel like AMD miiiiight have a socket change coming up soon. No indication of that but it feels like time. AMD is usually pretty good about CPU backwards-compatibility and hopefully we'll see an AM4+ socket type next.

Mar 31, 2021
Visit site
I think the 3700x still has the chops to get you gaming at 120fps at 1080p, probably even for the next year or two. If you wanted to upgrade the CPU down the road the new Ryzen Zen 3 chips are great, but I feel like AMD miiiiight have a socket change coming up soon. No indication of that but it feels like time. AMD is usually pretty good about CPU backwards-compatibility and hopefully we'll see an AM4+ socket type next.
So I see you say Ryzen zen 3 chips but I’m unsure which chia your talking about. Like what chips fall into that category?

spvtnik1

Community Contributor
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
Ok so I checked it out. What would have to be diff in the rest of my pc if I wanted to run say the ryzen 7 5800x and the rx 6800xt?

I think you would be good to go, maybe a BIOS update to your motherboard but probably not necessary. Now, the 5800x might be overkill if you never plan on doing an streaming or recording or editing. If you only want to game and don't care about future-proofing the 5600x might save you some cash.

spvtnik1

Community Contributor
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
Some of the best benchmarking and review videos can be found on Jayztwocents and Gamer's Nexus youtube channels, so check those out too to familiarize yourself on the current product offerings.

Mar 31, 2021
Visit site
I think you would be good to go, maybe a BIOS update to your motherboard but probably not necessary. Now, the 5800x might be overkill if you never plan on doing an streaming or recording or editing. If you only want to game and don't care about future-proofing the 5600x might save you some cash.
I do plan to do some streaming at least for starters testing it out. And like I said I plan to eventuall get a 1440p monitor 240 hz not sure how much sway over frames the cpu has but yea.

TRENDING THREADS