What is the dumbest thing a main character does?

Spoilers ahead.

Far Cry 5, Joseph nukes the game world when you 'beat' him.
Upside is New Dawn grows back bright pink!

METAL GEAR SOLID V THE PHANTOM PAIN Snake spends nearly an hour in one of the most annoying intros ever—idiot!

Civ4 Monty bashing his troops against my archer-powered frontier hill city, he was so surprised when I went the long way around and took his almost undefended capital. Of course, works with other warmongers too.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Alan Wake just absolutely refusing to try and get help?

Nah, when it comes to dumb main characters, Rush from The Last Remnant wins. His sister is taken from him at the very start of the game and he's very insistent on getting her back - to the point of outright idiocy. Hey, look! Everybody hide, there's some serious bad guys up ahead! And they've got a little girl with them.
View: https://youtu.be/3PkCTSSBgSU?t=58

Notice how the party immediately tries to contain Rush, as if they knew this would happen? That's because this isn't the first time and won't be the last.

METAL GEAR SOLID V THE PHANTOM PAIN Snake spends nearly an hour in one of the most annoying intros ever—idiot!
THAT INTRO IS KEWL!!! (I need an image of an angry Cartman with a belt, pointing at the camera.)

McStabStab

Community Contributor
It Takes Two Spoilers ahead:

There's the whole series of gameplay that lead up to you killing Cutie the Elephant in an attempt to make your daughter, Rose, cry (it's her favorite toy). This is under the false idea that her tears will bring them back from doll form. The whole time you're doing this you're hating it - you know that there's a lot more game to go and you sit through an awful cutscene of you murdering this toy while it pleads for it's life.

That was the worst, being forced to partake in this murder to move the story along. It's the toy version of the White Phosphorus part in Spec Ops: The Line.

It Takes Two Spoilers ahead:

There's the whole series of gameplay that lead up to you killing Cutie the Elephant in an attempt to make your daughter, Rose, cry (it's her favorite toy). This is under the false idea that her tears will bring them back from doll form. The whole time you're doing this you're hating it - you know that there's a lot more game to go and you sit through an awful cutscene of you murdering this toy while it pleads for it's life.

That was the worst, being forced to partake in this murder to move the story along. It's the toy version of the White Phosphorus part in Spec Ops: The Line.
Yeah, I totally agree. Now that you mention it, I do think that's the stupidest thing I've ever seen any main character do. It made me cringe.

If my wife and I ever get a chance to play again, we'll finish that game next time. Aside from that stupidity, the game is really great.

Spoiler ahead i guess

In the game Fallout 4, the main character's spouse, Shaun, is kidnapped by a group of raiders and taken to a compound. The main character then makes the extremely unwise decision to launch a one-man assault on the compound, despite being vastly outnumbered and heavily outgunned. This leads to the player character being easily overwhelmed and captured, resulting in their spouse's death.

I'm going to rule out horror games because, as we all know, there's nothing dumber than the main character of horror games/movies. I mean, in Phasmophobia, you take about a 30 percent chance of death for a few hundred dollars. In Security Booth you stay at your post even though Hell has obviously been unleashed in the building you are guarding. In Letters, you continue to deliver your mail despite...well, I can't describe it...

So that leaves me with the protagonist of The Planet Crafter who sets down space heaters and a few planters in order to terraform a planet. But maybe he's not that dumb after all since it works.

Last edited:
Probably Metro Exodus. The protagonist falls into the water on several occasions and even with the freezing temperature outside it does not seem to bother him or his weapons one bit.

Having a cold meter or something like that would have been fun. If you are cold, you'll need to set up a camp or similar depending on how cold you got and that would also have the downside of possibly alerting the local fauna.

Last edited: