What game everyone must play at least once in his lifе?

Zloth

Community Contributor
A game you make up yourself.

We get fed all sorts of games throughout our lives, but I think everyone should, at least once, think up our very own game. Maybe it's a card game, maybe it's pool, maybe you completely warp what a computer game's goal is supposed to be to make it into a completely different game... but SOMETHING that will get you thinking creatively.

Nov 3, 2022
Visit site

We get fed all sorts of games throughout our lives, but I think everyone should, at least once, think up our very own game. Maybe it's a card game, maybe it's pool, maybe you completely warp what a computer game's goal is supposed to be to make it into a completely different game... but SOMETHING that will get you thinking creatively.
Wow, the idea is really not bad at all. But it takes a lot of work to make it happen.

There isn't one. The reason is that the definition of classic is subjective and no matter how good a game is there will be some-one who thinks that it will be a waste of time. So even if I could force everyone to play my choice of game I would not do so.

PS - there are a variety of definitions of classic which would also lead to different answers.

Reactions: MrShadow

Long before computers ever entered my life, dad & I made up a war game that we would play out using tanks and other armoured vehicles in our back yard.

Combat was handled rolling dice, and had written rules... as did movement.
Dad played war games so makes sense we had to have rules.

All the tanks were made by Solido, and were die cast, and I wonder where they all are now. We didn't treat them well. Only some survive in their boxes. One was a tank transporter and for about 5 years the front of it was lost... was only when we cut down a tree out front we found it again.

As for a game, I could say Journey but that is repetitive.

Go

"While the Baroque rules of chess could only have been created by humans, the rules of go are so elegant, organic, and rigorously logical that if intelligent life forms exist elsewhere in the universe, they almost certainly play go."
—Edward Lasker, chess grandmaster

"Chess has only two outcomes: draw and checkmate. The objective of the game . . . is total victory or defeat – and the battle is conducted head-on, in the center of the board. The aim of go is relative advantage; the game is played all over the board, and the objective is to increase one's options and reduce those of the adversary. The goal is less victory than persistent strategic progress."
—Henry Kissinger, USA Secretary of State

"Go is to Western chess as philosophy is to double entry accounting."
—Trevanian, in his book Shibumi

"When I was young, I wanted to be the world's best Go player."
—Bill Gates

Zloth

Community Contributor
Wow, the idea is really not bad at all. But it takes a lot of work to make it happen.
Not necessarily! I made a solo game up for playing on a pool table:

Rack up the balls normally. You can hit in any ball at any time. However, if the cue ball goes into a pocket, you have to put balls back on the table, as close as you can to the place you normally rack up the balls to start. The number of balls you need to remove is the number of balls still on the table. (So, if you are down to 3 balls still on the table and knock the cue ball into a pocket, you have to pull 3 balls out and now have 6 remaining.) If over half the balls are on the table, you won't have enough to put back on the table, resulting in a loss. If you can clear all the balls from the table, you win.

You can make the game harder by requiring each shot to be called.

There you go: simple rules, fun game, teaches you to think about where the cue ball is going to go after the initial collision.

TRENDING THREADS