Question What are your thoughts on "Collectors Editions" of games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like most of us here, I'm always on the lookout for sales and "freebies" of games that I love (or think I'll love), but occasionally I'll spring the cash for a "collectors edition" of a certain game. Collectors Editions vary widely in the quality of what's offered. Some are just digital rewards, such as weapons/armor/skins (I'm not even sure what a "skin" is, maybe it's a multi-player game thing), new map areas, or digital art books and sound tracks.

Some have physical rewards, like little statues you can put on your shelf, a real book of the game's art, or other little (sometimes not so little) trinkets you can display. Other CE's have a combination of both.

I've purchased a few CE's over the years, but I really can't pinpoint exactly what motivates me to spend that kind of money. Obviously, I have to love the game (or think I'll love it, and thank the gods I didn't go for the CP2077 CE). For Example, Skyrim, one of my favorite games of all time (and favorite game series), I didn't buy the CE (I think it was $199); but I did for Two Worlds 2, based on my love of TW1. But TW2 ended up being not nearly as good as TW1.

zxdj9ld.jpg

What started this whole thought process, was back a few months ago when the Mass Effect Legendary Edition was made available. I thought, "Cool, a CE for Mass Effect", then found out it didn't even included the game. WTH? Here's Bioware trying to reestablish their reputation as a game developer, and all I get is a metal case with NO game, and a full size plastic helmet (with red or blue lights!) that I can wear on my head for $150? I doubt that it was Bioware's decision, but probably from the Electronic Arts marketing department. But still, that's something that I sincerely hope doesn't become a trend. Here's the link to the CE, and also the article that PCG wrote:

Mass Effect Legendary Cache – Official Bioware Gear Store

The Mass Effect Legendary Cache features a game case with no game | PC Gamer

So I'm interested in hearing your thoughts, like if you buy them occasionally or never, and what motivates you to buy one, if you can. Like I said above, I don't really have a "set" criteria for a CE, so it may be difficult to define.

I have done it a few times over the years.

I still have the Starcraft "dog-tag" styled usb key which I like. I had the Mystery Box version of Call of Duty Black Ops 4 which was a complete waste of money.

I think for me it's nothing more than an impulse buy. But I'm less inclined to splash the cash these days.

I'm not even sure what a "skin" is, maybe it's a multi-player game thing
No, SP too, I don't think single or multi affects them.

They're cosmetic makeovers, and can be for anything visual—but mostly for your gear, eg weapons, vehicles, clothing if TP view.

I finished Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 SP recently, and about half the collectibles were weapon skins. All with ever-so-cool names like German Woodland and Desert Twilight, but do I need 20 choices for my main rifle?

I'm fairly sure I only bought one Collector's Edition in the gaming universe most of us here inhabit—Steam, GOG and similar—which was for some Command & Conquer release in the 00s. Maybe the 2005 release of 10 years of C&C… Anyway, was just a little statue of a minigunner, long since lost. I got a lot more satisfaction from the tech chart packaged with the Civ4 CD!

Where I have bought Collector's Editions—and that's what they're actually called—is at my main casual gaming site BigFish, where many games have CEs. Most are worthless to me, but a few have say 40-50% extra levels which is pretty good for a great game. Example:

Extra gameplay is something I'll definitely consider paying more for, but other offerings rarely tempt me.

I've never actually bought a CE, partly because I've only preordered games maybe 3 times in my entire life, but I think it would be a good thing for GameStop to get into. Hardly anyone wants a physical copy of a PC game anymore, but if they worked with publishers and devoted a section of their store to CE's, I think it would take off.

GameStop has a lot of problems, but that would be one way to get me to go into one, if I could shop through a variety of CE's.

I have only done it for a few PC games and none came with statues or anything, Age of Conan had a book full of artwork from the game, an actual manual and items I could use on every character to make life easier in the first zone. Not sure if I still have that box anywhere.
As more of the extras become in game and less something you can hold, and some games having multiple collectors editions, it feels like they milking some players. It doesn't help when some makers bend truth about what you actually get. Fallout 76 comes to mind. why pay extra for plastic bottles or that bag?

I probably have bought a few when I had a PS3/4 but I had forgotten them.

Since trust is hard to get, its why i don't look at collectors editions as most tied to pre orders and its, do you believe the stories you heard about game are true?

Last edited:
Reactions: genta lintang
I do like to buy them when i have the money to spare, sure. Love my Skyrim Dragon. Hell, half my decor in my house is made up of collections editions.

Oh, me too. Some of my friends just shake their head when they see my gaming room, but you know, I really love that stuff. I regret to this day not buying the Skyrim CE so I could have that dragon on my shelf.

I've never actually bought a CE, partly because I've only preordered games maybe 3 times in my entire life, but I think it would be a good thing for GameStop to get into. Hardly anyone wants a physical copy of a PC game anymore, but if they worked with publishers and devoted a section of their store to CE's, I think it would take off.

GameStop has a lot of problems, but that would be one way to get me to go into one, if I could shop through a variety of CE's.

I think that's a good idea, as some CE's are hard to find, or used to be anyway. I remember doing all kinds of searches back when I purchased that TW2 CE, as I couldn't find it anywhere, not even Amazon or Ebay. Can't remember where I ended up finding it, but it would be nice to have one store that specialized in CEs.

In my opinion when you see it has an investment value, you should buy it.

I don't know how much investment value CE's have, for me it's more a personal choice because of my attachment to a certain game. I did do some searching on some of the older CE's I have, just to see if they did have any value beyond what I originally paid. Most were right about at the same price, or lower, except for one game, Witcher 2 CE.

NC0xmrI.jpg

Check out this link on Ebay for someone trying to sell the same game for $10,000 USD. Seriously? That's just insane. No one would pay that.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Collectors Edition (PC, 2011) (New, Open box) 742725278776 | eBay

Reactions: DXCHASE and Pifanjr
I think they are gorgeous and if you love the IP, why not splash out on a special bunch of stuff. I wonder if there's folks who have done this on games they ended up hating though?

I keep going back to that TW2 CE, as it took me so long to actually find a supplier, and while I didn't hate the game, it was a pale reflection of the original TW1 which I really loved. That purchase was based on my love for the original (as buggy & jerky at times that it was), so I was definitely disappointed with the game itself. Though "hate" would be too strong of a word for me.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Never got a Collector's Edition. Well, maybe there were some that were just the game + DLC + music that got called "collector's edition," but I haven't gotten a game with physical stuff since... City of Villains maybe? That had a little, plastic Ghost Widow.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Collectors editions are good for... collectors! :) Basically I have only two collectors editions. The first one is Heroes of Might & Magic V with autographs of Marcin Iwiński and Michał Kiciński (co-founders of CD Projekt). The second is The Elder Scrolls Anthology with a fancy DVD case and maps for every TES game. I had a moment in my life in which I was considering to become a collector of physical editions of RPGs (and collectors editions if they're available), but digital distribution prices convinced me that it's not worth it. So now I stick to standard digital editions and I'm happy with it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.