• 7 Sports

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • 8 MMO

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • 9 Other

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes, I know we've had recent discussions about the shortcomings of genres, but please go with it here :)

I'm curious why recent threads about big Strategy games have got so little play. Maybe it's as simple as there are relatively few members here for whom Strategy is one of their main genres.

Please vote for your MAIN genres of interest only, not ones you occasionally dip into.

I'm using the top-level genre list from this Wiki page:
1 Action—includes Shooters, Platform, Fighting, Survival, Battle Royale
2 Action-adventure—Survival horror, Metroidvania
3 Adventure—incl Visual novels
4 Role-playing
5 Simulation
6 Strategy—incl MOBA, Tower defense
7 Sports
8 MMO
9 Other—incl Casual, Horror

If a couple dominate, I may do another poll later for their sub-genres, which you can see on the Wiki page.

Reactions: Frindis

Zloth

Community Contributor
Yes, I know we've had recent discussions about the shortcomings of genres, but please go with it here :)
It's like you can read my mind! ;)

I'm curious why recent threads about big Strategy games have got so little play. Maybe it's as simple as there are relatively few members here for whom Strategy is one of their main genres.
I like turn based strategy/tactics. Sacrifice and BattleZone were the closest things to RTS games that I liked. 4X has had a lull lately. Some new ones have come out, but they aren't "ripe" enough for me yet.

Reactions: Pifanjr
Results are in! From the last 10 years on PC only at least.

Organizing my GOG Galaxy library by time played counting each game I have played more than 10 hours of, including only games below 10 hours that have been completed.

(Lets be honest Action and action/adventure are the same thing. Is Dark Souls a Metroidvania or a hack and slash fighting game? :unsure: )

Action+Action Adventure 42%
Strategy 25%
RPG 23%
Adventure 9%
Other (Puzzle games basically) 2%
Sim 1%

Rounded to nearest whole number.

Out of my top 30 most played games, only 8 are Action/Adventure. and I've only played 3 games more than 300 hours of which all three are strategy games.

I'm going to say its strategy then. :p

i have 1300 hours playing Torchlight 2, its overwhelmingly what I played in the last 10 years... though not constantly. I just replayed it a few times, off and on. 90% of the games I played in 10 years would be arpg. I do try other things but they seldom stick. Journey isn't an arpg though some of us on a playstation forum used to jokingly talk about the deathmatches in the game.

Action is too broad but we can't argue about categories... there are posts about that already. Hard to keep some game characters in boxes.

I think I flunked this exam.

I changed my answers after going to the link. Honestly, I play so many different genres it's hard for me to give a good answer here. For instance, I've put 450 hours into Total War: Warhammer 2 and a hundred into Civ 5, but those are the only two strategy games I play. So do I go by hours or how many different games of each type?

I've always considered myself an RPG guy because that's where I cut my teeth in PC gaming, but I don't play that many of them anymore, even though I'm playing Solasta now.

I love racing games, so Sports is up there.

At one point I would have put Adventure games at #1, but I haven't played an adventure game in 2 or 3 years now.

I didn't select "Other" even though Horror is in there because even though I've probably played more horror games than any other type of game this year, they were all short, hobbyist freebies, and I'm not sure that really counts for anything.

I love Survival Horror, but that can't be one of my primary categories because there are so few survival horror games. For this year I played RE8, and that's all. Next year it will be Calisto Protocol.

I think I flunked this exam
I think you're onto something—isn't self-knowledge a wonderful thing?

If a friend whose recommendations you trust said "There's a great new XXX genre game releasing in December", would you start saving the pennies? If yes, vote for those genres :)

I don't like the genre list either, but it saves me getting buried under a multitude of 'Why didn't yous' :eek:

If a friend whose recommendations you trust said "There's a great new XXX genre game releasing in December", would you start saving the pennies? If yes, vote for those genres :)

Welp, then I'm 'all of the above'. There aren't any broad genres I won't play and enjoy. But the question was "primary" genres. If there were great games coming out in each one, which ones would I play over the others? That seems like a better way of looking at it.

Last edited:
Role playing games without a doubt are my number one game genre. I started out in the 1980s with the Ultima games, and since then RPGs have been my focus & passion. I'd say easily 80-90% of the games I play, or have played, will fit into that category. Within that RPG genre, I also place ARPGs, like the Diablo & Sacred games

A distant 2nd would be the Action-Adventure category. You could fit almost any game into that genre, it's open ended and very subjective according to an individuals preference. Immersive Sims could easily be placed here, and while the few that I've played feel more like RPGs, in truth, they're more of a blend of RPG & Action-Adventure.

Reactions: Brian Boru
In terms of hours played, competitive multiplayer shooters are far and away my main games. However if I were to pick game genres that define how I see myself as a gamer they would be horror and city builder/management.

45% of my total hours have been spent in Strategy games vs 27% in RPG's and 23% in action/adv, I spent 15 whole minutes checking the other day. I was curious, and I'm weird like that.

And yet when I think of games I'm looking forward to they're action games like Dying Light 2, God Of War or Elden Ring. Guess that's because they get the marketing budget.

Can anyone handy at maths define fun as a value and divide it by time to give us the ultimate answer to teh funs per minute question?

Reactions: Zloth and Pifanjr

Zloth

Community Contributor
Can anyone handy at maths define fun as a value and divide it by time to give us the ultimate answer to teh funs per minute question?
Fun per minute? Total up how much fun you had, divide by how many minutes spent. There will be some negative fun at the start and end while you're installing the game, setting it up, and finally uninstalling it. (The latter should be tiny.)

Hmmm, we don't have a unit of measure for "fun" yet, do we? No problem. The amount of fun the average two year old child has singing the "Baby Shark" song for the fifth time is one Zloth. (This is a desirable unit of measure as we need not worry about whether the child has prior exposure to the song. After the first hearing, the song stays just fun for a couple of years.) Naturally, the unit will follow standard metric conventions, so having 1000 times more fun than a child hearing the "Baby Shark" song for the fifth time would be called a kilozloth (KZ) of fun.

my favorite game types are dragons age , diablo 3 and skyrim type games , graphics like the wolf amongst us and old fashioned dungeons like grimrock and operencia .

The best game i have done recently is horizon zero dawn , my wife is not really interested in gaming but i moved her hospital bed near the pc so she could see how good it was , she thought aola was brilliant and she cried at something aola did near the end.

TRENDING THREADS