What are you playing this weekend (2-3 October)

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see what you did there.

No reliable co-op unfortunately, and the development of the multiplayer mod has stalled I think.

The last update on the subreddit is from one and a half month ago and mentions some significant breakthroughs, so it's not dead yet. It seems they slowed down a lot when they made the project open source, so they reversed that decision.

When I last played it, the main problem was that doors and such didn't sync between players, meaning you would see the other person phase through doors that were still closed for you.

Galaxy says I have spent 36 minutes, so yes, sure I've played it! Or maybe that was the intro and I got tired of waiting :unsure:

Melee or magic don't appeal to me, so I guess it never made it to the top of my TBP pile.
I understand completely. There are some games, while very popular, I just couldn't get into. The Far Cry games are like that for me. Years ago I tried FC2 for maybe a couple hours, but I just couldn't get into it, and I don't really know why. So it's buried in my own TBP pile, along with (I just noticed) FC3, which I don't even remember buying. Probably one of those impulse Steam sale pruchases.

I tried FC2 for maybe a couple hours, but I just couldn't get into it, and I don't really know why
I loved FC1—replayed it ~5-6 times—but couldn't handle FC2 either, despite a number of attempts at it, latest a couple of years ago. Horrible mechanics, which means it has a dedicated following in the masochist market.

That I also love—have replayed it also ~5-6 times, and will again 'soon'—so give it a shot sometime.
Be warned that the UI is abysmal—no hyperbole there, I've had much better UI in md-90s games. It's a console port, with all the worst that implied 9 years ago.
There are QTEs, if those bother you—incl in the main boss fight, can you believe it?

There are many improvements over 3 in FC4 & FC5, but 3 is definitely still worth a play, especially if you're a fan of comic books or summer blockbuster movies.

I loved FC1—replayed it ~5-6 times—but couldn't handle FC2 either, despite a number of attempts at it, latest a couple of years ago. Horrible mechanics, which means it has a dedicated following in the masochist market.

That seems pretty reductive. I get that it's not to your taste, but you wouldn't call Dark Souls mechanics horrible just because they demand more from the player than the usual Action RPG.

Things like weapon degradation and malaria attacks are all intended to ensure the player never has complete control of their circumstances, which is a bit of a taboo in video games generally. But the idea as I see it is to force you into constant, uncomfortable decison making, as well as immersing you in an oppressive situation at all times.

And now I'm defending Far Cry 2 again, like I always promise myself I won't.

I hated the respawning outposts too for what it's worth!

There are QTEs, if those bother you—incl in the main boss fight, can you believe it?
Seriously? QTEs in a main boss battle? I dislike QTEs with a passion, one of the reasons (the other being check point saves) that I quite playing the Tomb Raider games (as mentioned in another post). Many members here, including yourself, seem to love the FC games, so I had thoughts about trying FC3, but I just can't with the QTEs, especially in a boss battle. Maybe FC4 or 5 as an entry point, if I can find a decent sale price. Not that I need additions to my TBP pile.

Reactions: Pifanjr
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS