What are you playing, thinking, etc thread (for Dec-12 to Dec-18)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to still be playing Satisfactory and Forza Horizon 5 this week, but I've bought a couple of new games that I'm going to try out, as well. I got an indie survival game call Breakwaters, and I also bought Icarus. Got to have more games so I can build more bases :LOL:

You know, for someone who loves building as much as I do, it's a crying shame I'm not any better at it than I am.

Finishing up my Satisfactory game. It will be the first time I've gone all the way to the end. With this last update, Satisfactory is officially the best building game I've ever played. When I finish the game, I'm going to post a "Tips and Tricks" thread.

Earlier this year, I played a ton of Forza H 3 and 4, and I think I kind of burned myself out a bit. I'm still enjoying 5, but I'm not throwing myself into it like I expected.

Got to have more games so I can build more bases
Never forget: "All your bases are belong to us." :D

someone who loves building as much as I do
Do you play the city builders—City Skylines, Sim City etc?

I'm kinda busy at the moment, so won't be playing much. Maybe dip into Far Cry 5, maybe not—I've nearly had enough of it for now, so maybe I'll start something else.

With christmas coming up i'm hoping to start a game during the holidays. So for the time being, i'm just crossing off a couple of the indie stuff before i sink into a AAA one. At the moment its Goetia, how long will it take for me to complete? no idea. hopefully not 2 weeks.

On other thoughts remember when i said that i played chivalry 2 and i thought that i don't want to play it ever again because its would take too much time? well... not so sure now. i might sit on it and maybe bypass the cravings and hopefully it will be enough... Perhaps if i remember the pasting i got as a noob i might resist... Oh and life commitments etc...

Never forget: "All your bases are belong to us." :D

Do you play the city builders—City Skylines, Sim City etc?

I'm kinda busy at the moment, so won't be playing much. Maybe dip into Far Cry 5, maybe not—I've nearly had enough of it for now, so maybe I'll start something else.

I've never played a city builder. I think they are more like management games? I mean the sort of building like in Minecraft, to use a universal reference. I like playing architect and designing my bases then selecting the right materials, etc. Just watching buildings pop up wouldn't really do it for me.

More Wildermyth, my daughter is home sick and I'm on holiday, she like to watch me fight the monsters (and count them and shout how many there are, mostly wrongly) and the style is cartoonish enough that shes not scared at all.

I've played about 4 hours of Deathloop, which has actually been a bit disappointing so far. It seems like there's little need to stealth or plan anything, you can just as easily kill everyone in an area with a machine gun so far and eternalists just around the corner don't hear a thing.

I'm enjoying Wildermyth so much I'm not feeling like really digging into it and seeing for sure right now.

It's the same in Far Cry with the machine guns or riding an elephant or rocket launchers etc. Just forego the overpowered stuff and then you can enjoy the tactical choices.

I'm hoping it will change later on, as its an Arkane game part of it is looking for more superpowers to make you even more OP, and I havent found any yet. Also only using the very basic guns. There has to be more to it then I'm seeing so far, I just need to get more into it.

A lot of Last Epoch. LE is a breath of fresh air in the ARPG genre and sit's somewhere between PoE and Diablo 3 when it comes to depth. What I like the most so far is the way you can easily swap skills, respec and make some interesting choices based on the fact that you can spec into two different class specializations. A lot of the skills I have tried so far feel pretty cool, with a lot of nice visual effects. The crafting system is easy to get into and you can craft stuff on the fly, which is something I really like a lot. It's still in beta, so it is not perfect though and right now I'm hoping to see more unique/legendary items that have a deeper impact on your different class skills. Like if you have a spear skill, and a unique/legendary could complement this with something fancy like "Every third spear throw procs a fireball that deals x amount of damage".

What I like the most so far is the way you can easily swap skills, respec

This is highly underrated in games and sadly way under utilized. Games know that selecting skills, talents, etc. is fun, but they seem to fail to realize that being able to change them and try different things is even more fun. I must have redistributed skill points two dozen times in Craftopia and had a blast trying different playstyles.

Exactly, that's one of my pet peeves with games which have only one save slot. Often I want to try 3-4 different approaches, but can't due to the stupid save restriction.

Yep, save slots are another thing all games should have, especially games with optional co-op. Can't tell you how many times I've been playing a game co-op and wished I could have a solo game as well.

I'm playing a few things at the moment. First, I'm playing Forza Horizon 5 which is pretty much my go to game for relaxing and listening to music or a podcast. Second, I started the campaign for Halo: Infinite, which I'm playing through on Heroic. I don't have much of a firm opinion on the story yet but, man, the gameplay is just fantastic. The grapple hook is fun as hell. Also, I find Heroic to be a solid balance of enjoyment and intensity.

Lastly, I started Death Stranding recently (this is one I've been meaning to get to for months and I would really like to finish it during the holiday break). This is a really peculiar game. I feel like this game really shouldn't be good but I am enjoying it a lot. Unsurprisingly, the story is utter nonsense, but I expected that. However, the setting and the atmosphere are exceedingly good. The first time you walk out and the camera pans back and the music starts is a brilliant experience.

Can't tell you how many times I've been playing a game co-op and wished I could have a solo game as well
Oh right, I can imagine it would be nice to have an ol' timer game going beside the one where you're getting fried all the time :p

Death Stranding … like to finish it
Interested to hear your take on that whenever. I'm soured on Kojima after MGSV torturous opening.

Oh right, I can imagine it would be nice to have an ol' timer game going beside the one where you're getting fried all the time :p

Interested to hear your take on that whenever. I'm soured on Kojima after MGSV torturous opening.

LOL. Man, my eyes glazed over playing through that intro... quite painful. The gameplay itself is quite good in MGSV but that intro is a true monstrosity.

Honestly, I think it is a problem of length. Kojima is a very talented artist and there are legitimately good moments in that intro. But the prologue spans a good hour and it gets rather painful. It could have absolutely been trimmed and I think it's a valid criticism. But it is fair to point out that it isn't total garbage and there are good moments, there just needed to be some editing and some restraint.

Hey, HEY YOU! I finished my Satisfactory campaign yesterday. Sent up my final products in the Space Elevator and unlocked the "Employee of the Planet" coffee mug. Don't know if I'll start a new game at a new spawn point. I feel like I've played this about enough. Dunno, maybe I could look for some more mods to change the game up...

Played some Icarus last night. It's a fairly standard survival game despite all the hoopla to the contrary. One thing that bothers me is that there are 4 parts to every day: Nighttime, dawn, daytime and dusk. During 3 of those, you can't find your own ass because it's too dark. To make matters even worse, there are frequent storms that cause you to take shelter. So between that and not being able to see half the time, you spend a lot of time just standing around. Things will get better when I get to level 5 and can build a shelter and sleep during the night.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Actually really dark?? I've only seen one game do that: World War 2 Online. When it got dark, you flat out couldn't play because all you had was a black screen! A few folks would crank the gamma correction and brightness up to max on their monitors so they could at least move around, but I don't think they were really able to play, either. +1 for realism, but I hope they changed it so there was at least a full moon out every night. (Even that wouldn't help much indoors.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS