What AA or AAA games have the best stories?

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Clearly The Witcher 3 is exceptional. Not much has to be said as it's all been said before by everyone else, Horizon is a great game also. I did thoroughly enjoy the Assassin's Creed series until it started to get a bit stale.

What I do find surprising is I haven't seen Telltale Series (Walking Dead, Borderlands, The Wolf Among Us) get a mention. I was gripped to characters of Lee and Clementine. Vaughan and Rhys are brilliant.

Honourable mention to Uncharted series (being released in June on STEAM I believe). This was the first game series I played that felt like I was in a movie.

I've never played Mass Effect series but I'm guessing I should given everyone's review.
Yea, I haven't played the other games (The Wolf Among Us is on my wishlist, though) but Tales from the Borderlands is a brilliant game for sure. I'm looking forward to Uncharted on PC, but they are only releasing Uncharted 4 and The Lost Legacy games, so we aren't going to have the first 3 available to us unfortunately. Lastly, definitely give Mass Effect a try if you like story-driven games. I played the trilogy for the first time last year when the Legendary edition came out and I had a great time.

Yea, I haven't played the other games (The Wolf Among Us is on my wishlist, though) but Tales from the Borderlands is a brilliant game for sure. I'm looking forward to Uncharted on PC, but they are only releasing Uncharted 4 and The Lost Legacy games, so we aren't going to have the first 3 available to us unfortunately. Lastly, definitely give Mass Effect a try if you like story-driven games. I played the trilogy for the first time last year when the Legendary edition came out and I had a great time.

In terms of Uncharted, I'm sure when I checked the bundle it contained all the games from the series but I could be wrong.

I'll give the Mass Effect trilogy a try then as my next story/single player game. Did you follow up with the Andromeda as well?

Reactions: Pifanjr
In terms of Uncharted, I'm sure when I checked the bundle it contained all the games from the series but I could be wrong.

I'll give the Mass Effect trilogy a try then as my next story/single player game. Did you follow up with the Andromeda as well?
I've never played Andromeda. I haven't heard particularly good things about it. Still, it is insanely cheap when it goes on sale so there is not much* investment needed to give it a shot just to check it out.

Last edited:
well it has to be said some of the best stories were in 90s adventure games or lucasarts/doublefine stuff. The tight script writing, excellent characters usuaully paved over most of the cracks. hell, point and click adventures lived or died by their stories.

So... here are are a few of my personal favs:

monkey island series
Day of the tentacle
The longest journey
Beneath a steel sky
Grim fandango
psychonauts

lore wise, you can't go too wrong with most fantasy RPGs. but most recently i have to say pillars of eternity and dishonored series ranks quite high up. the latter was the world was so richly designed and thematically something i liked a lot.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Horizon's story isn't impressing me at all. ... Maybe the story will pick up again later, but I'm not holding out much hope.
And it DID get better - quite a bit better! I wouldn't put it on my top stories list, but it's easily better than average. It just takes a long time to get started. (And yeah, they really needed to re-do Aloy's starting story.)

I haven't really noticed the stories getting better or worse over the years. {shrug}

I was too young in the eighties to really judge the quality of any RPG stories like maybe Ultima that were around, but I thought that at least since the second half of the nineties video game stories have been taken more consistently seriously ?

Half Life introducing that style of environmental story telling, then stuff like Deus Ex at least were first person games that focused more on setting and story that I remember. At least more than Doom and its clones did?

My mistake, but what's the point of playing Uncharted 4 when you're oblivious to the story beforehand. That seems like a weird move... I guess you could watch YouTube play throughs of 1 to 3.
I guess they think those are the only ones still relevant to modern times. Either that, or it would be too hard to port the older ones. I know the PS3 hardware was whack, and the PS4 hardware became a lot more like PC. So my guess is it just wasn't worth the time investment in porting the older ones, and they just started with the first one on PS4.

I guess they think those are the only ones still relevant to modern times. Either that, or it would be too hard to port the older ones. I know the PS3 hardware was whack, and the PS4 hardware became a lot more like PC. So my guess is it just wasn't worth the time investment in porting the older ones, and they just started with the first one on PS4.
Isn't there versions for the PS4 though or we basing the architecture similar to a PS3 rather than PC so it's easier for them to move it across?

TRENDING THREADS