Question Weekend Question: Would you play an FPS with a controller if aim assist helped you win more?

PCG Ted

Staff member
May 3, 2022
Visit site
I'm filling in for Jody to ask the PCG staff and community a regular Weekend Question and post the answers on the site! I'll be working some of the best responses into a finished article this weekend.

This week's question is: Would you play an FPS with a controller if aim assist helped you win more?

More and more, devs have had to balance shooters where some players use gamepads, and others rock mouse and keyboard. The latter's dominance in FPSes used to be unquestioned, with some PS4 players apparently turning to absurdities like the HORI Tactical Assault Commander for that m&k edge. Now though? Overwatch's controller aim assist is so good that they disabled it in PC-console crossplay matches, while some players in Destiny or Apex Legends proactively make the switch for a competitive advantage. Would you, faced with this temptation, submit to the controller meta and become "goated on the sticks?"

I don't play at a high enough level where it would matter. If I play with a controller and do badly, matchmaking should just put me with other players that are just as bad, so it shouldn't really matter unless I switch between controller and K+M regularly.
The problem with matchmaking is that you have a lot of expert gamers who start new accounts with no experience just so they can pwn noobs. Because people play the system, matchmaking doesn't always work out how it should.

Zloth

Community Contributor
This week's question is: Would you play an FPS with a controller if aim assist helped you win more?
No. Aim assist really bugs me. I don't like missing but, when I do miss and it hits anyway, it's even worse. That makes me wonder how much I've been missing and scoring hits anyway, which makes me think I don't really deserve to be doing as well as I am. Blah.

I'll still turn it on if the game is one where mouse/keyboard doesn't work out well, but I'll grumble as I do it.

Today, no. I started off using one when i first switched to PC and hadn't fully embraced playing with a KB+M, certain games (Destiny 2) were just so much easier to get a better K/D against other players because of the aim assist but after a few years of getting better and better with a KB+M in pvp i now loathe the ability one gets a controller in pvp.

The only game I've ever played with a mouse and keyboard is Phasmophobia. For whatever reason it's the only game I can't sufficiently play with a controller. I play everything else, FPS games included, with a controller (or steering wheel and pedal setup if applicable). My wife has made it clear to me that I already won the game/life with her, so no need to in a video game.

The problem with matchmaking is that you have a lot of expert gamers who start new accounts with no experience just so they can pwn noobs. Because people play the system, matchmaking doesn't always work out how it should.

I don't have a lot of experience with competitive online play, especially not recently, but in my experience there's maybe one of those every few games, which I can deal with. I just consider it an extra challenge.

Reactions: Brian Boru
those occassional "how did i pull that off?!?" moments
Last one of those I had was with that danged caps lock key.

My wife has made it clear to me
I wish to offer you my C…
…ongrats
or
…ondolences :D

Can't I just log in and have the assist play while I alt-tab out and watch funny animal videos on reddit?
But you have this already…
…or have I misunderstood the Guido function?

Yes I would
TMI

Reactions: ZedClampet
I just want to mention that there are two main types of aim assist. One kind attracts your reticle to the target when you get close, like a magnet. The other kind just lets you shoot in the general direction, and your bullets are attracted to the target. Horizon: Zero Dawn uses the second type, and I hated it. I much prefer the kind where your reticle gets attracted to the target.

But I agree with Kaama in that it needs to be subtle and not extremely noticeable. The magnetic zone around a target needs to not be too big, and it shouldn't be really quick and jarring to snap to the target. If it's done right, it's great in my opinion. But it's easy to do it wrong.

May 11, 2022
Visit site
I'm fluent in both. So I have, I would, and I'd do it again. Although I usually turn off auto aim, I enjoy playing FPS games with a controller very much. Matter of fact I used Joy2Key to make Dark Forces 1 playable on an Xbone gamepad and twin sticked it on hard. It was honestly fantastic and the fiddling around with settings was 100% worth it.

My PC is plugged into a big ass TV through HDMI and I usually game 7 feet away from it, slouched in a la-z-boy. I work at a desk all day, I'm not gaming at one. I'm that guy. I can absolutely M&K with the keyboard in my lap no problem (you're not twin sticking Apex Legends) but if it's a slightly slower paced game or the emphasis isn't necessarily on combat (Things like the Long dark) I'll go for a gamepad and regret nothing. When I play multiplayer with friends I will go M&K. Mechwarrior 5, Ready or Not, 7 Days to Die, ARMA 3, etc I'm using M&K.

Also, that hori Tactical Assault Commander thing is hilarious but they did one thing right : It's for Playstation, yet they put the only thumbstick in the right place. Good for them, they know.

Last edited:

PCG Ted

Staff member
May 3, 2022
Visit site
Matter of fact I used Joy2Key to make Dark Forces 1 playable on an Xbone gamepad and twin sticked it on hard. It was honestly fantastic and the fiddling around with settings was 100% worth it.

Dude that's nuts. I was fiddling around and got Blood Fresh Supply working on Steam Deck and just found it way too hard. Restarted with m&k and having a much nicer time of it now.

May 11, 2022
Visit site
Dude that's nuts. I was fiddling around and got Blood Fresh Supply working on Steam Deck and just found it way too hard. Restarted with m&k and having a much nicer time of it now.

Not surprised at all :LOL:

Blood is way more intense than Dark Forces. I gave up on some of them like I played Realms of the Hunting and Strife and I couldn't find a decent setup without having a keyboard nearby for other functions. Might as well just play it M&K. Quake 1 and 2 worked really well too.

The thing about that DF setup is that looking up and down sure feels stiff to an extent but it has no business working this good. Doom engine so auto aim vertically of course but like.....it's nice to look up at the things you're shooting at with modern reflexes instead of pressing page up/page down.

I still have the JoyToKey profile if you wanna play some Dark Forces on an Xbox one controller ;)

(inverted y axis, of course)

Last edited:

PCG Ted

Staff member
May 3, 2022
Visit site
Not surprised at all :LOL:

Blood is way more intense than Dark Forces. I gave up on some of them like I played Realms of the Hunting and Strife and I couldn't find a decent setup without having a keyboard nearby for other functions. Might as well just play it M&K.

I still have the JoyToKey profile if you wanna play some Dark Forces on an Xbox one controller ;)

Appreciate it! I think I'm just gonna stick to the classico setup for old FPSes though, feels right.

Reactions: Pifanjr

PCG Ted

Staff member
May 3, 2022
Visit site
Yeah, I love the idea of handing over control of my character to algorithms. Can I have movement assist and "look in the right direction" assist, too? Really, I don't see why I have to do anything. Can't I just log in and have the assist play while I alt-tab out and watch funny animal videos on reddit?

Editing the final post Zed and I just realized you may have accidentally reinvented Auto Battlers.

TRENDING THREADS