Weekend Question: Which RTS series deserves a comeback?

PCG Jody

Staff member
Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
I ask the PCG staff a regular Weekend Question and post the answers on the site. This week the question is: Which RTS series deserves a comeback? If you'd like to throw in an answer here, I'll squeeze the best into the finished article!

With Warcraft 3: Reforged coming this month and Age of Empires 4 maybe due this year (fingers crossed), a couple of significant RTS series are coming back from the dead. But what about the rest? This is your chance to argue the case for a revival of Command & Conquer, Kohan, Supreme Commander, Halo Wars, Dawn of War, StarCraft, Warlords Battlecry or, I dunno, Stalin vs. Martians maybe?

Reactions: Krud
To echo the other thread on fave strategy series, Empire Earth!

Empire Earth had a fantastic run, with the first and second installments serving as a natural evolution to rich real-time strategies. Empire Earth 2 felt like it had built on some of the best foundations laid by Age of Empires and Rise of Nations, bringing civilizations as warring factions up from pre-historic times all the way into the futuristic Nano age.

Unlike Empire Earth 2 with a score hovering in the mid 90's, the sequel Empire Earth 3 appeared to have killed the series dead - coming in at a 50% on Metacritic. EE1 and 2 were such fantastic games in the RTS genre, they really do deserve a comeback.

Reactions: Pifanjr
Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
I am going to go back a long, long, long way to the late 90s, to a Sierra On-line game called Lords of Magic. LoM was designed to combine Lords of the Realm and Heroes of Might and Magic; something about it really clicked with me the way those games did not.

It was the first real strategy game I played with my son (then 12 years old). Hours and hours and hours of fun. He is now 34 with three kids of his own, and recently picked up LoM again on a whim. We would both love to see this game rebooted.

I may just be sentimental, because the people we corresponded with on their forums became the guild that we are still a part of today... named after the 8 Faiths Inn we roleplayed outside of the game itself. We have thereafter been the "InnMates" guild in every game, going on 22 years now, though we migrated largely to the MMO space.

PC Gamer (US) gave it 82%, so maybe it's not just sentiment. :)

JSimenhoff

Community Manager
Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
Can I get some love for Command & Conquer: Generals? Yes there are more popular games in the series, namely Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2, but Command & Conquer: Generals holds a special place in my heart. Things I like:
  • Only two resources: Let's you focus on base building
  • No cheesy cut scenes: As a young lad I enjoyed the "realism"
  • 3 Factions, each with 3 generals: This allowed for many different styles of play, even within a single faction.
  • I think I may have already mentioned this, but BASE BUILDING!!
Many an afternoon was spent at my local Cyber Cafe, playing endless, large scale 4v4 battles against my friends. I think we had a ridiculous 10 or 15 minute no rush rule, so our bases would usually span the map. This may not have been the intended way to play, but forgive me I was young! I usually opted for the Lazer General. I loved her jet fighters, which were pretty much unstoppable late game.

Last edited:

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Command & Conquer and Warcraft.

Both will have a comeback in the form of remasters, but these aren't a full-fledged next installments. Both series deserve a real comeback. C&C4 was laughably bad and Warcraft series was developed only as an MMO in the last 15 years or so. I'd love to see Joe Kucan as Kane once again...

Reactions: eHaggis
Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
Can I get some love for Command & Conquer: Generals? Yes there are more popular games in the series, namely Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2, but Command & Conquer: Generals holds a special place in my heart. Things I like:
  • Only two resources: Let's you focus on base building
  • No cheesy cut scenes: As a young lad I enjoyed the "realism"
  • 3 Factions, each with 3 generals: This allowed for many different styles of play, even within a single faction.
  • I think I may have already mentioned this, but BASE BUILDING!!
Many an afternoon was spent at my local Cyber Cafe, playing endless, large scale 4v4 battles against my friends. I think we had a ridiculous 10 or 15 minute no rush rule, so our bases would usually span the map. This may not have been the intended way to play, but forgive me I was young! I usually opted for the Lazer General. I loved her jet fighters, which were pretty much unstoppable late game.

I recently got the C&C collection from origin and installed Generals and Zero Hour immediately. I got it working at 4k by modifying some ini files and started compstomping immediately.

I would love a remake!

Mknott

Staff member
Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
Battle for Middle Earth.

It wasn't great, in many ways it wasn't even very good, but the sound design in that game was on point and multiplayer was a blast. I'd settle for license disputes being resolved and digital versions of the originals getting released.

Battle for Middle Earth.

It wasn't great, in many ways it wasn't even very good, but the sound design in that game was on point and multiplayer was a blast. I'd settle for license disputes being resolved and digital versions of the originals getting released.

I second LotR: BFME. I don't care if it isn't "good", it is fun. I loved making my own hero in BFME 2 and absolutely destroying entire armies with it.

I also think Company of Heroes and Sins of a Solar Empire could do with a new instalment.

spvtnik1

Community Contributor
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
C&C is getting their comeback, and I'm thrilled. But I'd love to see the C&C:Generals series revisited.

Army Men could use a comeback, but there are some other more modern titles in the same vein.

Dune... we're getting a new film soon, so why not? I've dabbled, but I think I would get the most out of a modern RTS. Something like Anno where you can win by diplomacy or by brute force.

Reactions: JSimenhoff

Apollo

King Kong
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
C&C is getting their comeback, and I'm thrilled. But I'd love to see the C&C:Generals series revisited.

Army Men could use a comeback, but there are some other more modern titles in the same vein.

Dune... we're getting a new television series. I've dabbled, but I think I would get the most out of a modern RTS. Something like Anno where you can win by diplomacy or by brute force.
CnC is getting a comeback? When was this?

TRENDING THREADS