Question Weekend question: What's your dream Star Wars game?

PCG Jody

Staff member
Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
I ask the PCG staff a regular Weekend Question and post the answers on the site. If you'd like to throw in an answer here, I'll squeeze the best into the finished article!

This week's question is: What's your dream Star Wars game?

Ubisoft are making an open-world Star Wars game, and there's a separate thread asking what you'd like to see from that. What I want to know is what else you would like to see done with the licence now that it's free of EA's hold. Should there be more games like Republic Commando? A game about your favorite secondary character? More of the weird ****?

Reactions: Charliston B
Star Wars Galaxies with a modern UI and control scheme, pre-CU but with JTL. They pretty much nailed not only the best star wars game and world, but also the best MMO mechanics I had ever experienced. The focus on everything else that made the SW universe great that weren't jedi was fantastic, the freedom to mix and match professions added a ton of flexibility, and stuff like player built and driven towns was ahead of its time. They also didn't rely on every iconic star wars character you've seen in the movies to create their experience. To have another Star Wars experience like this is my dream.

Another one would be revisiting the Jedi Knight/Academy games. They had excellent gameplay that I again consider ahead of its time. At least, no studio has seemed to approach it with the same style of gameplay. Instead we get boring stuff like Fallen Order (which wasn't 'even a star wars game originally) or Force Unleashed, which just pales in comparison in regards to gameplay.

Or even a proper successor to X-Wing vs TIE Fighter would be great. Squadrons just isn't it.

LucasArts had such fantastic success with Star Wars games, and I think it was because they focused so much on providing great gameplay, not just cinematic nostalgia trips.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Star Wars: Rebellion 2 (see the first entry on the weird list). Just go ahead and make it turn based this time instead of time-limited turns. For combat, see if you can do something like Battlestar Galactica Deadlock's space combat system. If that can't be done, do it Homeworld style.

Reactions: Charliston B
2 Things:

A proper successor for X-Wing Alliance. Yeah, we got Squadrons, but it's not really like the old X-Wing and Tie-Fighter games. I mean: a spacecombatgame with a fixed battlefield in a SP campaign???

A new Jedi Knight game would be great. Lightsaber combat was superb in Jedi Academy, but what we really need is the fantastic levels from the previous Jedi games: Dark Forces 1/2 and Jedi Outcast. Those were the best of the best. I still haven't found all the secrets in those games, let alone explored every inch. Masterfully put together.

Dec 10, 2020
Visit site
Something like a modern KotoR (never played it, but I trust it's good) + the combat from Fallen order would be great.
Just gimme a ship to potter about in!
Also, let me walk around the ship while it's moving, ala Mace Griffin Bounty Hunter

Jan 17, 2021
Visit site
While I'd love to see another Knights of the Old Republic style game, what I really want is a solid Star Wars RTS. Don't get me wrong Star Wars: Empire at War was an interesting take and I did enjoy it but it wasn't a true RTS. Only the battles were, and the base building was practically non-existant. There was also Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds, but Galactic Battlegrounds suffered from being an Age of Empires clone and the different factions just had different skins (and some unique techs to research) but never actually felt different.

I'd really like to see a Command & Conquer or Act of War or even Star Craft style RTS set in the Star Wars universe. I want to be able to command an entire clone army deploying infantry, special forces, walkers and starships. Fight the empire as the rebellion or even crush systems with a droid army. But most importantly I want to feel like I am actually playing a unique faction when I switch between the factions.

The closest thing we ever had to that was Star Wars Commander which was a mobile game and well...they added a little too much and made the differences disappear. It's also a mobile game so not quite what I'm looking for, plus it no longer exists. So, yeah, a base building, army commanding, RTS Star Wars game is what I really want.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
My dream Star Wars game exists! Actually there are two. They're called Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2. My only wish would be to see a Star Wars RPG set in an open world. There's an open world Star Wars game coming from Ubisoft, but it won't probably be a full-scale RPG title. It would be wonderful to see a title with a lot role-playing elements that's similar to recent Assassin's Creed games.

Reactions: mainer

McStabStab

Community Contributor
I was listening to the PCG Podcast today where James and Wes talked about this, and Wes mentioned he’d like to see the IP in the hands of a smaller Indie developer. This got me thinking about Amplitude, the folks who made the Endless Space / Legend series and are making Humankind.

They would be my pick for a series of Star Wars games. From 4x to roguelike (thinking Dungeon of the Endless), Amplitude is brilliant at creating unique stories and experiences using assymetrical gameplay mechanics and innovative systems. A Star Wars version of any of these games would most likely be a ton of fun.

Reactions: Pifanjr
Knights of the Old Republic 3. I haven't played many of the Star Wars games, especially recent ones, but KotOR 1 & 2 were the best in my opinion. The only other's I've played years ago were Dark Forces 1 & 2, as well as Mysteries of the Sith, an addon for DF2.

Dec 17, 2020
Visit site
Would need to be a mish mash of things..

Rebel Assault comes to the fore front in types of scenarios. And overall style. To make it worth while you have to go to the classic era of star wars. LUCAS ARTS.... just the logo made the game better... theme music too.

starship troopers vibe needed, person to person interction. Some shinanegans circa the movie jarhead, seriously gas mask in boxers is standard army basic training antics.

The actual game has to be PRO IMPERIAL in every way. We have spent decades living the lie of the "saintly rebellion". We need to see the tail end of the universe from the eyes of a storm trooper grunt picking civie body parts out of a hospital that got blown up by siantly rebels

MaddMann

A nerd that found his place
Community Contributor
Jan 17, 2020
Visit site
My dream star wars game. Well, I would want a modernized version of Star Wars Galaxies. A game where you can build an actual functioning city with your friends. Get on a space ship, build a space station, and become any class you want. Maybe I am remembering the game a bit romantically because it died so many years ago (after sony drove it straight into the ground). That is what I want though, a living, breathing space epic where I get to make my story. Do I want to be a smuggler and profit off the conflict? Do I want to be a Jedi and help bring peace to the galaxy? Do I want to be a soldier in the Imperial Army and fight some rebel scum? Maybe I want to be a bounty hunter and bring my own version of justice to the Galaxy.

This is probably the only circumstance I could want an MMO star wars. Old Republic was fun as an MMO and it had some great stories, but the game itself was kind of shallow after a while.

If that can't happen, then give me more Old Republic RPG's, but by a company like Black Isle because BioWare has proven over and over they are not even close to what they used to be. Let it be open world on an Epic Scale.

Reactions: Sarafan

TRENDING THREADS