Weekend Question: What's the next game you're looking forward to?

PCG Jody

Staff member
Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
I ask the PCG staff a regular Weekend Question and post the answers on the site. If you'd like to throw in an answer here, I'll squeeze the best into the finished article!

This week's question is: What's the next game you're looking forward to?

It's been over a month since Elden Ring came out, so it's time for our collective eye to roam around and redirect its gaze onto the next big thing, like Sauron scouring the hills for hobbits. One quarter of the year has been and gone, but there's still a lot of games left on the calendar. We've got a list of the games of 2022 to remind you what's coming up. Which one are you planning to make room in your schedule for next?

Darktide's probably the biggest game I'm looking forward to. I've tried to get into Vermintide in the past and while I do like all the gameplay elements attached to them, I can't really see myself growing fond of the Warhammer Fantasy setting. In fact, I think everything unique about Warhammer is mostly relegated to the grim darkness of the 41st Millennium, and having that dark fantasy setting be brought up to a spacefaring tech level while retaining most of the fantastical elements appeals to me a hell of a lot more.

I've been excited for STALKER 2, but with the invasion of Ukraine I understand that the project will be likely severely delayed or may not happen at all. In the end if the game never happens it's such a small inconvenience compared to the tragedy that continues to unfold in the region.
GameRanx has gotten word that GSC are relocating to the Czech Republic. I hope someone here can read Czech cuz I imagine that the source has more accuracy than GameRanx's own article.

If this is true, I think we could see a significant delay, cuz I imagine a decent amount of work will be lost when moving out of a warzone cuz keeping one's self alive is much more important

Ones I'll have a close look at:

Company of Heroes 3
Sniper Elite 5
Stalker 2
The Settlers
The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe

Of those, the clear #1 is Stalker 2. If they can come close to the original trilogy, it should be a great game.

Sadly, your clear #1 isn't coming out this year and maybe not for years or ever.

Above and beyond any other game, the one that I'm looking forward to the most is Starfield (like several other members have mentioned). There are other games I want to get to this year, but nothing comes close to anticipation and desire I have for Starfield. A new single player, open world(s) RPG from Bethesda, as well as being a whole new IP for them; I've been starving for one since Fallout Four. It's not even Summer yet, and I'm looking forward to November.

Zloth

Community Contributor
We've got a list of the games of 2022 to remind you what's coming up.
What's coming up in 2022?? Ha! That's a list of what games I need my fellow gamers to playtest for me. (Thanks to everyone out there paying full price so that I might have more fun!)

I'm not sure what's next, though. Maybe Doom: Eternal, maybe A Plague Tale? Neither have me really excited. Wildermyth is one I'm eager to play, and I'll likely get it this summer.

Sadly, your clear #1 isn't coming out this year and maybe not for years
Oh no worry, I wouldn't be playing it this year anyway. As a wise gu man said:

That's a list of what games I need my fellow gamers to playtest for me

A couple of others I'm editing into my original post—ie due out this year, of definite interest:
Old World
Stray

Games I don't have which I might buy this year:
Fallout 4
Heavy Rain
Inscryption
Late Shift
Outer Wilds
Red Dead Redemption 2
RimWorld
Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts 2
Stephen's Sausage Roll
The Complex
The Planet Crafter
Universe Sandbox
What Remains of Edith Finch

Reactions: Sarafan and Pifanjr

Sarafan

Community Contributor
If I have to pick only one, then it's Baldur's Gate 3 for sure. It's the next installment in my favorite series, so the game is a must play for me. It looks like we'll get fantastic story and characters. These are core elements of good RPGs and Larian is already well-known for keeping the quality of these aspects. I also love D&D mechanics and although the biggest boom for computer games using this system is long gone, it may be one of the announcements of a big come back. I hope there will be other RPGs that follow the D&D path.

There are also some thing that bother me. One of them is the turn-based combat system which isn't in line with the original two games. Of course it catches the spirit of real-life RPG sessions, so this doesn't disqualify the game in my eyes in any way. It even gives me a feeling of slight excitement to finally see this system in action, but... it's just not the same as the original.

I also have a problem with the atmosphere of the game. It feels more like another Divinity: Original Sin rather than Baldur's Gate 3. I hope the final release will immerse me deep enough to forget about this.

These two downsides won't keep me from enjoying the game however. I doubt Larian won't be able to release a quality product. I expect entertainment that will last for several dozens of hours with a potential for subsequent playthroughs. Too bad that we'll have to wait until 2023 to see the full version of the game.

Last edited: