Weekend Question: What's the first game you remember finishing?

Page 7 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
That I remember finishing is probably Kirby's Adventure (NES). My gaming skills were never top-of-the-line so I never learned to play well the more challenging, reflex-heavy games kids I knew could beat in a single run without issue. But Kirby was right for me. I kept dying to that celestial body you fight after Dedede (I called it "the moon" - I don't think that's what it's supposed to be but not like I had much info to go off at my young age), since you'd get crushed by the screen below if you didn't finish its health bar off in time. Eventually I DID though and then the "true" final boss, what I just thought was a vampire with a tornado body, came to the fore. He was pretty easy. No time limits to beat him at least. So, there you go. Good game.

spvtnik1

Community Contributor
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
Bagasaurus. No, really. I must have been, I don't know, two or three. I don't think this really counts.

The first games I remember playing with or watching my parents finish were either LucasArts titles like Loom, The Secret of Monkey Island, and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, or Sierra titles like Spacequest and King's Quest. The employee of the week at Monolith Burger in Space Quest III was an early, early memory.

I was playing computer games before I was really clever enough to finish them. The classic adventure ones, anyway. Then there was the Super Solvers series by The Learning Company. I'm not sure if I really 100% these, because the gameplay loops infinitely I think, but I definitely got through them. I think the first classic point & click adventure I finished was either Day of the Tentacle or Sam & Mix: Hit the Road.

May 3, 2020
Visit site
The first he completed was GTA San Andreas,oh man so much nostalgia now. Going to my cousin's house playing it than eventually getting my own PS2 and having time to play it not only in weekends but at home everyday took me awhile but man good days

May 3, 2020
Visit site
I've been playing video games ever since I was sentient. But the memorable first finishers were Karateka, Ultima III (Report Thy Feat!), and an infocom game called Suspended (which was REALLY hard). Now there are so many games out you hardly ever finish before you move on to the next one it seems. An embarrassment of riches.

Good Times to be a PC Gamer. Of course all the games mentioned were on my Commodore 64......which I still have :)

May 3, 2020
Visit site
The first game I remember finishing was Pokemon Fire Red on my Gameboy advance. I was in bed, my head under the covers, battling my way to Mewtwo. I remember eventually getting to the top of the mountain and then seeing Mewtwo in all of its gba glory. After nearly 50 ultra balls, I used the master ball and caught my favorite pokemon. I leveled up my pokemon to level 100.

May 3, 2020
Visit site
I ask the PCG staff a regular Weekend Question and post the answers on the site. If you'd like to throw in an answer here, I'll squeeze the best into the finished article!

This week's question is: What's the first game you remember finishing? Did you even know games had endings when you were a kid? Have you always had to finish one game before moving on to the next?

Bruce Lee on the Spectrum is the first game I remember completing with certainty. After that it was probably either Super Mario Bros 1 or 3. Possibly Lifeforce Salamander before. It seemed like games were rock hard when I was a nipper but it was most likely that I was young and uncordinated.

May 3, 2020
Visit site
The memory is etched in my mind. It was the summer of 1986, just before my Grade 10 year. We'd had a PC for a year and by that time I owned Epyx's Rogue and we used our 300 Baud modem to visit BBS's and download software. We even programmed our own in BASIC by typing in lines from magazines like Byte. So, we'd played a few games but most were of the rogue-like variety, our favorite being Moria, and getting to the ending wasn't so much the goal.

I paid full-price for Starflight by Binary Systems when it came out for PC and we dug in right away. We had just a couple of weeks until school started. My parents only let us play computer games on school holidays, not during the school year.

My brother and I each started our own games by making copies of the two 5.25" floppy disk masters. We made backups of our game-saves by copying our active play disks. About halfway through the game, I bungled the disk copy and had to make a copy of my brother's game so we could finish it. We loved the fractal graphics sequence for planetary landing. The mining and selling. But most of all, we loved puzzling out the meanings of the clues around the edges of the printed map that came with the game. When we finally won, we couldn't believe we'd beaten a game. We were so geeked out!

May 4, 2020
Visit site
For me are:
1. Super Mario Bros
2. Elder's Sroll V Skyrim
3. Assassin Creed 3, 4 and so on I can't remember them all.
4. Tomb Raider GO, Tomb Raider
5. Fade to Silence.

Those are what I can remember of.

May 3, 2020
Visit site
My first game I ever finished? Gosh it If I remember correctly as a kid I never really finished games because you know I was kid I wasn’t really good at them but the first I ever finished was halo combat evolved one of my favourite games the last mission as a kid was very challenging took me forever to surpass it but it felt so good as a kid to complete halo loved it.

May 4, 2020
Visit site
Final Fantasy 8. Having played games since a young age, and from the early 90s, few games either held my attention long enough to complete until my first foray into the final fantasy franchise with number 8

May 2, 2020
Visit site
Either Sierras' Kings Quest or Leisure suit Larry. The latter was totally motivating for a sweaty 12 year old in 1987......

Sierra online basically tought me the english language, and I learned what a profilactic / rubber meant!

May 4, 2020
Visit site
For me it was Space Quest 1, the original version on a CGA monitor. I was probably 6 or 7 and played it with my dad. I remember being excited when we finally finished the game, but then sad that it was all over.

TRENDING THREADS