Question Weekend Question: What games have you modded the most?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCG Jody

Staff member
Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
I ask the PCG staff a regular Weekend Question and post the answers on the site. If you'd like to throw in an answer here, I'll squeeze the best into the finished article!

This week's question is: What games have you modded the most?

Skyrim is probably number one for plenty of us (there are 66,500 mods for it on NexusMods alone), but if so what else have you modded to the hilt? Have you downloaded total overhauls for Crusader Kings or Total War games, expanded Stardew Valley and XCOM 2, or made Geralt in The Witcher 3 look like Geralt in The Witcher 1?

Good lord, there are three more mods just to replace Geralt's new face with his terrible old one.

Civ 4 is the main one, tried out a good few mods for it during my ~5 years playing it a lot.
The mod I keep installed is a UI modifier which literally expanded my playing time by years—decades actually, since it's still very playable with this mod. It's the BAT/BULL mod, which I highly recommend to any Civ 4 player—it doesn't alter gameplay, but removes a lot of tedium by providing info to the player in a much more friendly way. It's a collection of a number of smaller mods, so I guess it's a mod pack.

I quit Far Cry 5 until I found the Resistance mod, which gets rid of the obnoxious capture sequences which occur 9-12 times in the game. Literally made the game playable for me.

Other games I want to replay, I'll look for a mod which provides the good stuff from the beginning—eg my latest is Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 and its 'Unlock' mod to provide all weapons & accessories at start.

Torchlight 2. I had to add extras as I played it for so long base game was becoming boring. Okay, sure, I did have a few breaks over the 8 years I played it.
I used Synergies & TL 2 Essentials to add extras to the game. Like all new everything on top. Classes, maps, weapons, bosses, etc. I played game for 1300 hours so far so you can understand why it got a little samey after a while.

Civ 4 is the main one, tried out a good few mods for it during my ~5 years playing it a lot.

That reminds me, I did try out a Civ 4 mod (I think Fall from Heaven? It did have magic in it). It was basically like playing a completely new game.

Also, your mention of modpacks made me remember about the Feed the Beast modpacks for Minecraft, which are amazing in my opinion. I've tried various other standalone Minecraft mods over the years as well.

I'd probably never have to buy a new game in my life (or at least many years), while still being able to get new experiences, just by playing mods for all the games I already own. If only I could convince my brain I really don't need to buy any more new games.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Actually I rarely mod games in a meaningful way. Usually I limit myself to things like Restoration Project for Fallout 2, but there were a few exceptions. Fallout: New Vegas is among them. I used some patches to minimize crashes and stuttering, but the biggest change was the HD texture pack. And while I was satisfied with the visual aspect, the mod made the game basically unplayable due to frequent crashes. Even the unofficial patches which supposed to help with this issue didn't make a visible change.

Actually I rarely mod games in a meaningful way. Usually I limit myself to things like Restoration Project for Fallout 2, but there were a few exceptions. Fallout: New Vegas is among them. I used some patches to minimize crashes and stuttering, but the biggest change was the HD texture pack. And while I was satisfied with the visual aspect, the mod made the game basically unplayable due to frequent crashes. Even the unofficial patches which supposed to help with this issue didn't make a visible change.

Fallout New Vegas can be a bit touchy about mods, and I've never been able to mod it like I would Skyrim. Maybe the most important mod I installed to help stop CTDs was the FNV 4GB Patcher so that the game can access more memory. Almost critical if you using any texture packs.
FNV 4GB Patcher at Fallout New Vegas - mods and community (nexusmods.com)

There's also an excellent article by Laruren Morton in the February 2020 issue of PCG (don't know if that article is archived online or not) about modding FONV for 2021.

1luslyN.jpg

@Sarafan - Yeah, I find it to be one of the more finicky games to mod. I had a build a couple years ago that seemed to run fine at first, then after about 30-40 hrs of playing, it would just start crashing every 10 minutes or so. After many hours of trouble shooting & trying different saves with no solution, I finally had to scrap that build & start over.

Jun 6, 2021
Visit site
I ask the PCG staff a regular Weekend Question and post the answers on the site. If you'd like to throw in an answer here, I'll squeeze the best into the finished article!

This week's question is: What games have you modded the most?

Skyrim is probably number one for plenty of us (there are 66,500 mods for it on NexusMods alone), but if so what else have you modded to the hilt? Have you downloaded total overhauls for Crusader Kings or Total War games, expanded Stardew Valley and XCOM 2, or made Geralt in The Witcher 3 look like Geralt in The Witcher 1?

Good lord, there are three more mods just to replace Geralt's new face with his terrible old one.
Freelancer.

SWard

Supergirl
Staff member
I have modded The Sims 4 extensively. Most of my hardcore modding has included being able to make the enviroments in worlds historically accurate for the game I'm playing, for example Snowy Escape had a lot of modern objects in the world (can dispensers, ski shops) which I wanted removed so I've been using The Sims 4 Studio to delete models in the backend of the more modern set dressings, as well as using a histroical mod a simmer made which removes most modern day buildings, lamposts and signage from the base game worlds. As far as object and clothing overrides/ additions go, my folder is currently at 22.0 GB (23,660,236,283 bytes) which is quite a lot I think. The results for historical gameplay (my current game is set in the 1800's) are amazing. I also rename the neighbourhoods in the backend (Winderburg is currently serving as Washington, Sulani is now a fantasy kingdom and it was the Amalfi cost for a while). It's been a real journey working out how to make it all work, and none of it would have been possible without the incredible community of Sims modders who create the most amazing things. I found someone made a Geralt tub and I'm happy to confirm it is working splendidly, pass the soap please.

View: https://twitter.com/Stevie_SG/status/1397194269752967172

I have approximately 790 mods on Farming Simulator 19. Some of them you can't find anymore or need to be adjusted, so I keep a separate folder for them. Only a handful actually change the game. The rest are new equipment mods or buildings (silos, shops, etc). Going through the mods to pick which ones to download is one of my favorite things.

My next most modded game is Total War Warhammer II. I basically can't stand to play the game anymore without mods that speed it up. I make sure that the mods work for both me and the AI so that the game doesn't become too easy. Some of the mods do make the AI a little OP at times because when you increase the difficulty, the AI simply starts cheating more, and if you've sped the game up, they can start wielding doom armies within the first few turns, but you just have to play a little more defensively for awhile. Without mods, you can pretty much take over your first region right away on all difficulties. With these mods, you can't do that, but it still speeds the game up because you can build out your cities faster.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS