Weekend Question: What compromises have you made to run a game?

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
I'm not sure whether we can compare it to AoE. It's of course an RTS, but in 3D and with command points as a resource. Maybe you were referring to Empire at War? This has more AoE vibes in my opinion. :)

Yep, Empire at War is what I was thinking of. I also remember Force Commander, but I was getting the two mixed up in my memories. XD Empire at War came years later, IIRC.

Didn't think I had anything to add to this topic, but I guess I do! I made all sorts of compromises when I was using 3D Vision. Some games worked well with the technology, but many others needed tweaking. Shadows would often need to be turned off, for instance, because they would be drawn at screen depth instead of being as far away as the object casting the shadow. Sometimes sky boxes were revealed to be only about 20ft above your head when you got two eyes to triangulate on the clouds/stars. Fancy post-processing things would sometimes go nuts, too.

I would turn them all off to get the 3D working. It was well worth it to add another dimension to the gameplay!

Wow, someone else who forced games to run in 3D! We are a rare breed, y'know. Was it LCD-shutter glasses, or anaglyph? I kinda miss that actually, it was less nauseating than VR...

But the main thing i do is game a few years in the past.

I generally do this as well. The only time* I don't is if it's a game I care about having spoiled plotwise, but those are increasingly rare.

(* - Or if it's something I'd been waiting on, like RDR2. Which was spoiled for me by console players before it came out on PC.)

Reactions: Brian Boru

Zloth

Community Contributor
Wow, someone else who forced games to run in 3D! We are a rare breed, y'know. Was it LCD-shutter glasses, or anaglyph? I kinda miss that actually, it was less nauseating than VR...
Shutter glasses. Yeah, not nauseating in the slightest. It doesn't help with the scale, though. VR not only makes it look properly 3D, it makes the scale look right.

Seems like it should be possible to do 3D-Vision in VR: just put a big rectangle in front of the viewer and treat it like a 3D monitor. For things like fighting games, there's nothing to see around the sides anyway, so you could do a 3D virtual-monitor and just play on that. For an open world game like Skyrim, I suppose you could use it to try and help with the nausea factor.

TRENDING THREADS