Weekend Question: What game has loading screens that don't suck?

PCG Jody

Staff member
Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
I ask the PCG staff a regular Weekend Question and post the answers on the site. If you'd like to throw in an answer here, I'll squeeze the best into the finished article!

This week's question is: What game has loading screens that don't suck? Whether it's got useful tips or a joke about reticulating splines or it just looks real nice and doesn't last too long, what's your favorite loading screen? Ones you add via mods, like the many Skyrim load screen replacers, totally count.

Reactions: Frindis
I'm having a hard time remembering any good, so I'll mention one from the latest games I currently play: The loading screen from Assassin's Creed Odyssey is totally fine. There is a nice fire going on and tips/tricks are cycled through. It also loads pretty fast, so I'm happy with that too.

loading screens that entertain or engage the player are the best. I'm talking about interactive loading screens that allow for me to mess around or practice like Bayonetta, Okami or assassins creed (for the latter they really need to add an enemy in for me to bash around).

Reactions: Pifanjr
Any loading screens where you can still play the game are great, even if it's in a limited capacity like in Assassin's Creed. They're even better than "hidden" loading screens (looking at you, Mass Effect elevator).

I will also never forget the loading screen from Black & White that said "Throwing villagers around is great fun!", with a picture of a villager soaring through the sky.

• Haha
Reactions: I Will Haunt You

Zloth

Community Contributor
Just started playing Kenshi and got this one.
full

I think I'm in for a wild ride.

Reactions: Pifanjr
May 30, 2020
Visit site
For all its faults, MGSV has a great concept going for its (hidden}loading screens. The travel sequence inside the helicopter that drops the player off to start his mission/journey can create a nice build up towards the gameplay. The chopper showcases the progress made in the story, as well as showing off w/e customizations or upgrades the player has built. Also enforces the concept of an open world setting via the travel to the destination.

Lets not forget the best part of it all. Being able to set our own music that plays as we approach the drop zone. It was just a joy to find the right track with a beat that synced perfectly to the drop off point. That alone made makes up for the fact the loading screen is a pain for anyone not using an HDD. As they cannot be skipped or toggled on/off for people with fast storage.

Side note: Kinda tricky to compare loading screens nowadays given most people have SSDs. Its been yrs since I had the chance to appreciate loading screens. Besides the ones that are forced on us like what I described.

McStabStab

Community Contributor
The grand theft auto games always have great artwork in their load screens and at least a few of the images have become iconic.

Aside from that I don’t pay too much attention to loading screens cause they don’t last very long (NVMe gang where ya at?)

I am late to the party with this one (and technically it doesn't count), but there has to be at least one sarcastic loading screen mod for every Bethesda game ever. Some of the quips are really stupid, some are downright insulting, and some are just funny as hell!

GVumrpE6ukKm6Ke7bw9RBRS26QwQ23eoce-dQ4W1N8s.jpg

561a6bd726a57.jpeg

TRENDING THREADS