Weekend Question: Is there a game only you seem to remember?

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
There are two PC games I vaguely remember whose identities have been bugging me for years:

One I remember playing on a computer in the school library back in the late 90s. It was set in medieval Europe (so historical, not fantasy) and you could play different factions, but the only one I can remember specifically was the Vatican. IIRC, most of the gameplay took place over a map of Europe where you had diplomatic/economic relations with the other factions but there was also battle element if you went to war with someone (it was either top-down or isometric, can't recall specifically) where you had things like archers and swordsmen and the like as troops you could purchase. The only other part of the game I can remember was you could build pre-set or design your own castles by laying down a floorplan of where the walls and such would be along a grid. Over time and with proper funding the castle would then be built similar to when you laid down a residential or industrial-zoned area in Sim City 2000. I only ever saw/encountered the game on that one school computer and haven't been able to find out what it was since. All I can say for certain is it was NOT one of the Stronghold games.

The second game was an early 2000s point-and-click (fully 3D) adventure game where you played a female protagonist in a far-future setting where most of the western world had amalgamated into one government. IIRC, part of the lore premise of this high-tech future world was that it was matriarchal (or at least females had more/higher social status than males), marriage had been abolished, and children were raised by the state. Your character is a police officer or detective of some sort investigating a murder that (I think), over the course of the game, reveals a conspiracy of some kind that threatens the current world order. That's genuinely all I can remember about it besides one scene were the main character contemplates flirting with the bouncer at a club she was visiting as part of the investigation. I had picked it up thinking/hoping for an experience similar to The Longest Journey or Syberia but was sadly disappointed. I remember it not being that great of a game, the puzzles weren't interesting and the story fell flat (or just became generic), and I sold it back to the store I bought it from soon after finishing it - back in the days when we could still do that for PC games.

Any help in identifying these games would be greatly appreciated! If for no other reason than to put the nagging memories to rest at long last.

Welcome to the forums! So im not sure about the first game, but for the second one (and i thought u were looking for The Longest Journey at first before i got to that point lol) i found a youtube video of someone summing up early 2000s point-and-click adventure games, hopefully its listed in there.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LozO4_KEv1o

Apr 25, 2022
Visit site
Maybe someone can help me out here? I am talking about a PSone game where you take care of a small, round-ish robot. You don't control it directly, but you can reinforce its actions with a reward (a treat or so, i guess) and punishment. So the little robot learns constantly from your input, and the goal is to make it through an island. There are gaps where the robot can fly over, and I remember the game was very blocky, and pretty colorful. I think it was released in 1996 or something, but my Google-Fu does not bring up any relevant things. Maybe you know what I'm talking about?

I'll bet not many remember Hyperblade. It was a mid-90s futuristic hockey-like game that takes place in a drome. It has obstacles, and you can attack your opponents with your bladed stick. I'd love to have a modern version of that game.

This was one of the first games I had that supported 3D accelerators out of the box without having to download a patch.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_BqdaJmB2k

Sep 3, 2022
Visit site
I have only rough memories of a PC game demo - I think from 1998 (my sister played Cher - I Believe in Life after Love on repeat across the desk) where you explored and expanded your base/ territory on a top-down map/ world view. I think it was turn-based and I think it was basically that your people had magic and needed to kill/ repel the alien creatures. sort of like a modified version of Civilization/ Ages of Empires meets Starship Troopers where your tech evolved/upgraded. My fingers are crossed!

Reactions: Pifanjr
May 11, 2022
Visit site
I played insane amounts of Blockout on my dad's noisy as hell Hewitt Rand 8088.

Blockout was like tetris except in 3D where you dropped pieces down the corridor away from you so instead of "lines" you would complete layers.

No one seems to have ever played that frigging game and it was so damn good. I would play that game lights closed in intense focus for hours.

Commander Keen games?
Oh yeah, played all of 'em ~30 years ago, along with loads of other shareware side-scrollers.

I have a book … Shame I don't remember its title
Never fear Sir Frolic, help is at hand—since you have the book, take a photo of the cover or frontispiece, post it here, and we'll tell you what the title is!

May 11, 2022
Visit site
Played a lot of Stellar 7 too at family friend's house. Everytime we went there for an "adult" supper I would sneak up to their IBM PS/2 with their son who had no idea how to use the PC and fire that baby up. And get my ass kicked.

Another not well remembered game I've told some friends about and got some puzzled looks. "Full 3D first person on a 286?" Yes dammit I didnt dream this up, it happened. I only found out the name of that game recently.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzxeWmxPJJw

Played a lot of Stellar 7 too at family friend's house. Everytime we went there for an "adult" supper I would sneak up to their IBM PS/2 with their son who had no idea how to use the PC and fire that baby up. And get my ass kicked.

Another not well remembered game I've told some friends about and got some puzzled looks. "Full 3D first person on a 286?" Yes dammit I didnt dream this up, it happened. I only found out the name of that game recently.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzxeWmxPJJw
If you're going to count that, you have to count Battlezone on Atari 2600 in 1983.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X4_xy7rC1A

TRENDING THREADS