Weekend Question: What's a game you like to play while doing or watching something else?

PCG Jody

Staff member
Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
I ask the PCG staff a regular Weekend Question and post the answers on the site. If you'd like to throw in an answer here, I'll squeeze the best into the finished article!

This week's question is: What's a game you like to play while doing or watching something else?

You know, the kind of game you only need to check in on periodically to see how things are going with your nation, football team, or flight across the galaxy. Or the kind where you can mindlessly click or grind your way through most of it without actually needing to engage higher brain functions, which you can then spend marathoning TV shows on the other screen.

I like to do something else while playing hentai games.

OR, seriously, I like to play mindless games like Farming Simulator 19 and Euro Truck Simulator so I can listen to podcasts. If it's a game with a voiced narrative, I usually turn the shows off even if I could just read the dialogue. Total War games and Warframe are some more that I'll enjoy with podcasts.

Last edited:
Any particularly mellow city builder pairs well with a podcast, and maybe some "herbal" relaxation as well. Foundation is a great example, it's so cosy and relaxing to watch the little peasants scurry about chopping trees and baking bread and pitching tiny fits over the lack of a church because I've neglected my stone production.

Farming/life Sims are good zoning out games as well, my favourites being Stardew Valley and My Time At Portia.

Recently I've been replaying Battle Brothers and Battletech.

I often play turn based games in the early evening so that I can play something and still be present with the family. Pretty much anything turn based thats not too violent or scary looking that I can put down at a seconds notice works, so that I can talk or do something else easily when needs be.

I'm the same. If it's an interruptible time, then any game where I can hit the ESC key and come back to—which is most games, since I don't play online.

I do find that most games that technically can be paused are not fun to play with a lot of interruptions.

I have this even with some turn based games, which don't even require you to pause. Civilization is probably the worst in that regard: the amount of times I have actually continued a game I started the day before can probably be counted on my fingers.

I played Crying Suns for a while in between other stuff, but I also have a problem with switching between games to play. I'd rather focus on just one game at a time and Crying Suns isn't that great to play when I do have an hour or two of uninterrupted play time.

I don't do this either, if I play a game I don't do anything else at same time - only times I can think of 2 things at once would be games that incorporate your music into them so you listening and playing it. AudioSurf comes to mind, there was a Space Invaders game on PlayStation that let you make stages based on music, some of my really long songs made cool tracks

I guess I do only have 1 monitor so watching a video while playing a game never came up. If game is that boring you want to watch a video, why play it? I can see it working for cookie clicker games or something that can essentially play itself.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
i often put on my tv in the background on youtube live radio and in recent times-i keep playing a specific awesome berlin flavoured techno set from a fab DJ called amelie lens at the serbian exit festival,anyone who is into raw,furious techno i strongly recommend having it on in the background while gaming, it goes well with driving games.

TRENDING THREADS