Weekend Question: Have you made any close friends through online gaming?

PCG Jody

Staff member
Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
I ask the PCG staff a regular Weekend Question and post the answers on the site. If you'd like to throw in an answer here, I'll squeeze the best into the finished article!

This week the question is: Have you made any close friends through online gaming?

Let's have a wholesome one. Have you ever had friends you gamed with before you met them in real life—or maybe never met at all? If you've been playing online more often during the pandemic, have you made friends with anyone new?

Not exactly. To be perfectly honest, when I'm playing with randoms, I tend to keep to myself, and sometimes I even mute people who talk too much, so I find social media to be a better place to connect with other gamers. I formed a group with folks I met on Twitter, and we've played quite a bit together. I've also created adult-only gaming groups on Facebook and met some people through there. Most recently, we played Farming Simulator 19 together.

Last edited:
I'm very bad at initiating contact with other people, both online and in real life. I don't remember ever talking to anyone I met in a game. Unless you count playing Mafia on an online forum, in which case I did make some friends, though not close ones, and I lost contact with them since.

Reactions: ZedClampet
The best friends I have in this life I met through gaming. Back when DayZ mod first launched, I ended up connecting with a couple random people through the Destructoid chat (when that was still on the website). Since then I have continued playing games with these three guys and we're still at it today. Out of all the friends I have cycled through in those many years, these 3 dudes have always been there despite the distance between us. I haven't met any of these guys in real life yet, but I'm planning on meeting up with at least one once this covid stuff has blown over.

Close? No, but ive made "friends", i run a Destiny 2 clan and when it was active i played with a lot of people, some more than others, now that its pretty much dead and people have moved on, i find the only real person i connect with is whoever im running coop with from my place, which is usually my wife lol.

Reactions: Pifanjr

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I have some online friends, but I never met them in real life. We usually talk about games and other related topics. The main problem in meeting is the distance. They're living quite far from me. We also rarely play together online, because I prefer single-player titles. But we talk quite often and it's always a great time! Didn't meet anyone new during the pandemic though.

Reactions: Pifanjr
Sep 20, 2020
Visit site
I met my best friend through World of Warcraft almost 7 years ago. We both ran events for a third party site and we found we just got on really well together.
He lives in Denmark, and me in the UK, but we have regularly visited each other and he even came to live in the UK for a couple of years before having to return to be with family.
We still talk everyday, but our gaming choices have expanded a lot over the years!
He’s been the best friend ever and has supported me throughout many difficult times. I’m so grateful our paths crossed through gaming! <3

Sep 10, 2020
Visit site
I met my significant other in an MMO. :)
Otherwise not many friends, people who stop being interested in you as soon as you stop playing a game can hardly be called 'friends'. Because of that I got less social throughout the years as well.

TRENDING THREADS