Video Card help!

Mar 16, 2020
Visit site
Hello Friends,
I am building a computer for dual-booting Win and Linux. I am an avid chess player but not really into gaming, I just like a fast computer:)
But spending too much time researching for a half-decent video card, I could use your help!!!
My build so far:
Intel - Core i9-9900K Octa-Core 3.6 GHz Socket LGA 1151 Desktop Processor
Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 500GB Internal PCI Express 3.0 x4 (NVMe) Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology
CORSAIR - RMx Series 850W ATX12V 2.4/EPS12V 2.92 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply - Black
CORSAIR - Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (2PK 16GB) 3.2GHz PC4-25600 DDR4 DIMM Unbuffered Non-ECC Desktop Memory Kit - Black

MSI - MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON AC (Socket LGA1151) USB 3.1 Gen 1 Intel Motherboard
Cooler Master - MasterBox ATX Mid-Tower Case with ARGB Fans and Controller - Black

I just cancelled this because of the poor reviews and overheating etc.
MSI - MECH OC AMD Radeon RX 5700 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 Graphics Card - Black

Feel free to share your knowledge,

Thanks

MaddMann

A nerd that found his place
Community Contributor
Jan 17, 2020
Visit site
What do you need our help with? The build seems pretty straight forward, but if you are not gaming, compiling, or rendering, I am not sure what you would do with all this power? Based on your build so far I would assume that anything between the 2070 and the 2080ti are in your budget, but I am not sure what you would need it for when it comes to playing chess?

Reactions: Zoid
If it's chess simulations, are you sure the 9900k is the way to go over an AMD R9 3900x / 3950x?

As for the GPU you cancelled the order from, what do you mean 'overheating' and poor reviews? Do you mean the RX 5700 generally or specifically the MSI Mech version of it?

And what country are you shopping in?

Mar 16, 2020
Visit site
The reason I am building this is for the future of adding a server, web development and playing games. I like a fast computer just like my car:). I have watched reviews on YouTube about the Radeon 5800 and did not like output. I am asking for help mainly for a GPU for Linux and I understand they both do support it, but the problem I had back in 2006 I was using Fedora and every-time the Linux kernel was updated then it would wack out the drivers, that’s when I was using Nvidia. I am in the USA.
Thanks for replying!

Zoid

Community Contributor
The reason I am building this is for the future of adding a server, web development and playing games. I like a fast computer just like my car:). I have watched reviews on YouTube about the Radeon 5800 and did not like output. I am asking for help mainly for a GPU for Linux and I understand they both do support it, but the problem I had back in 2006 I was using Fedora and every-time the Linux kernel was updated then it would wack out the drivers, that’s when I was using Nvidia. I am in the USA.
Thanks for replying!

Hey @krammer66 welcome to the forums! If you are going to be using this computer for server tasks or any other kinds of multithreaded computing, you should get a Ryzen 9 3900X instead of an i9-9900K. The only time I would recommend the i9-9900K is if you had specific tasks in mind that require the fastest possible single-core performance. If you are building a PC to do productivity type workloads, or just to be all-around fast, the Ryzen 9 is the better bet (and even a little cheaper).

I would recommend increasing SSD storage to 1TB, since nowadays 500GB can disappear quickly. However, if you aren't downloading a bunch of huge games then maybe you don't need as much. It's up to you.

There's no reason not to get an 850W power supply, but there's also no reason you need one for this build. You would be fine with a 650W unit or thereabouts if you find a better deal.

The RAM you picked is perfectly fine, but if you're chasing speed where you can get it, see if there's any 3600MHz RAM for around the same price. 3200MHz is fast, but 3600MHz is the perfect sweetspot if you can find it for around the same price.

You initially said you aren't much of a gamer but you mention you want this to be able to play games in the future. It's a little hard to recommend a video card without knowing your expectations of it. If you're just going to be playing chess, and aren't going to be using any modeling / rendering programs that can take advantage of a fast GPU, then there's really no need to buy a high-end gaming card. A regular workstation card or entry level gaming card would do fine.

The best way for us to be able to recommend a GPU is if you think of a couple of games that you'd like to be able to play and let us know what resolution your monitor is.

I haven't personally messed around much with GPU drivers in Linux, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think that AMD is going to be the way to go here. Many AMD GPUs are supported by drivers included with the mainline Linux kernel.

What is your overall system budget?

Reactions: Oussebon
Mar 16, 2020
Visit site
Thanks so much for replying!
This situation is like my neighbor buying a Ferrari when we live at the beach and the speed limit is 45 mph, he doesn't need all that power but we all have our preferences! I like a fast computer period and I enjoy all the fun stuff of not just goofing off but maybe running security programs, playing games, perhaps trying video editing. I just want the system to be there when I need it for creating projects. I really don't have a budget but then again I wasn't planning on spending a $1000 on a GPU. I am using your advice and ordered the Ryzen 9 3900x. Now, what do you suggest for the motherboard?

ASUS TUF X570-PLUS gives you all the bells and whistles you're likely to want, and is very decent quality in terms of VRMs. While not costing you more than you need to spend to get those things.

There's a version with wifi built in and one without.

Mar 16, 2020
Visit site
I am building this off from your experience, Thanks! I am keeping the PSU for the time and returning it is not worth it to me. As for the GPU, what are your thoughts for this, XFX - AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT RAW II 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 Graphics Card with Zero dB - Black?
Or do you have something else in mind? I forgot to tell, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit will be alongside with Linux. How about a cooling system?

Zoid

Community Contributor
I am building this off from your experience, Thanks! I am keeping the PSU for the time and returning it is not worth it to me. As for the GPU, what are your thoughts for this, XFX - AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT RAW II 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 Graphics Card with Zero dB - Black?
Or do you have something else in mind? I forgot to tell, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit will be alongside with Linux. How about a cooling system?
The ASUS mobo @Oussebon recommended is a good one. If you want another recommendation, I also like the Gigabyte AORUS X570 Elite.

An RX 5700 XT is a good choice. I think it's unlikely you'll tap more than a fraction of its ability if you won't be doing much gaming, but if you wanted to get into 1440p gaming and dabble in 4k then the 5700 XT is a good way to go. That particular XFX card is perfectly fine. Another good one at the lower end of the price spectrum would be the Sapphire 5700 XT PULSE.

You don't need to buy any additional cooling system for your PC, since your case appears to come with 3 intake fans and an exhaust fan, and the Ryzen 9 3900X comes with a pretty decent (and actually good looking) stock cooler. I'd recommend trying that out and seeing if it gives you the performance you want. If you decide you want more then the be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 is a good high performance CPU cooler.

Reactions: Oussebon
Gamers Nexus has a great roundup of 5700XT models you could check if you're curious. They also do a good tear down of many models.

Based on that the Nitro is one of the best 5700XT's for thermals and noise. Some of the cheaper models are much louder and dont cool as well. PowerColor Red Devil was the other top performer last time I looked. The 3 fan Gigabyte and the Sapphire Pulse are two of the better lower cost options. Performance is basically the same give or take 5% whatever model you get, as @Zoid is hinting. What you pay more for is a usually a better, quieter cooling solution.

I got the PowerColor Red Devil as it was on sale for the same price as many of the cheaper models. Otherwise I would probably have stretched to the Nitro, as I like the look of that thing most.

Mar 16, 2020
Visit site
Gamers Nexus has a great roundup of 5700XT models you could check if you're curious. They also do a good tear down of many models.

Based on that the Nitro is one of the best 5700XT's for thermals and noise. Some of the cheaper models are much louder and dont cool as well. PowerColor Red Devil was the other top performer last time I looked. The 3 fan Gigabyte and the Sapphire Pulse are two of the better lower cost options. Performance is basically the same give or take 5% whatever model you get, as @Zoid is hinting. What you pay more for is a usually a better, quieter cooling solution.

I got the PowerColor Red Devil as it was on sale for the same price as many of the cheaper models. Otherwise I would probably have stretched to the Nitro, as I like the look of that thing most.
My techy friend said the Nitro are known for not having good longevity, have you heard about this?
Thank you for heads up!

You cant compare one generation of card with the same name to another for one thing if thats what your friend is thinking.

As these cards have only been around 6 months no one can say for sure about longevity. However if you look at the quality of the parts used and the cooling solution, the Nitro is one of the best of this particular generation. That would suggest to me that at least relative to other 5700XTs it will last longer.

Relative to other cards here

Mar 16, 2020
Visit site
I am exhausted looking for a gpu and stayed with the Nitro special edition and as for the techy friend, he is a co-owner for a computer company for the last 25 years so I gave it a lot of thought then said I had it and kept it on order.
Thank you for taking the time and sharing your thoughts!

TRENDING THREADS