###Troubleshooting Help:

**What is your parts list?**

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
GPU: GeForce RTX 2060 Super
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB
PSU: 600W Gold
Storage: Crucial 1TB SSD

**Describe your problem. List any error messages and symptoms. Be descriptive.**

Many games will crash to desktop (not crash whole PC) while playing. Timing varies based on the game, some games I'm able to play for up to 30 minutes, others crash at main menus. Multiple games have returned "D3D Device" errors, application hung errors, or DirectX errors.

Games that crash: CoD Warzone (Error 6068, DirectX error), Rogue Company (D3D Device, HUNG), Fortnite (D3D Device, HUNG), R6 Siege, Warframe, Spellbreak, and I'm probably forgetting a few others I've tried.

Games that WORK: Valorant, Overwatch, World of Warcraft, NBA 2K20, Fall Guys, Smite, Remnant From the Ashes, the Cycle, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few others.

**List anything you've done in attempt to diagnose or fix the problem.**

- Windows 10 updated to latest version
- DDU to clean uninstall and reinstall my NVIDIA drivers
- Lowering 3D options within NVIDIA control panel
- Reinstalling the games
- Starting games with W10 Security disabled
- Slightly underclocking my GPU
- Removing programs that could control clocks (ASUS Tweak / MSI Afterburner)
- Changed RAM Sticks
- Upgraded PSU
- Rolled back drivers
- Disabled RAM XMP
- Restored BIOS to default
- Added TlrDelay
- Have monitored temps in game, GPU peaked at 75 degrees before crash

**Provide any additional details you wish below.**

Any advice or other solutions would be appreciated. Feels like I've exhausted a lot of options and still no solution. Not sure what else I can do, aside from buying a new GPU? Fully wiping clean Windows and the Computer?

Please help - I'm going crazy!

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for your very informative post :)

I've had luck running games as admin when they wouldn't behave, so worth a shot since it's quick & easy.

Download and Install DirectX

Check 'Event Viewer' for the problem times, see what errors & warnings it throws up, and search online for the error code(s).

Run 'sfc /scannow' from an admin command prompt.

You've done a lot already, so that's all I can think of at the moment. Best of luck :)

PS
Starting games with W10 Security disabled
Disable any other apps that are open or running in the background.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bangroasted
Nov 5, 2020
Visit site
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for your very informative post :)

I've had luck running games as admin when they wouldn't behave, so worth a shot since it's quick & easy.

Download and Install DirectX

Check 'Event Viewer' for the problem times, see what errors & warnings it throws up, and search online for the error code(s).

Run 'sfc /scannow' from an admin command prompt.

You've done a lot already, so that's all I can think of at the moment. Best of luck :)

PS

Disable any other apps that are open or running in the background.

Thanks for the response. This past weekend I actually decided to try a new GPU. I replaced my 2060 Super with a RX 580 and now everything is working like a charm. Obviously a significant decrease in power between the two cards, so hopefully I can get a replacement from EVGA and it was just a defunct card.

Cool, nice job identifying the culprit.
I had trouble with an Nvidia card long time back, and I found that rolling back the drivers a couple of steps solved it.
Another thing: when you get your new card, install only the barest minimum driver—skip the 'Experience' etc. You can add any you want later, once you know the basics work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS