Total noob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 9, 2020
Visit site
Hi folks

I've read enough PC forums to know that what I'm about to say offends some and causes derision among the knowledgeable. However.....

So I'm a console game that over the past 18 months has stopped playing die to having a baby in the house.

I needed a new PC and thought why not make it so I can do some light gaming here and there. I built a rig online and then had to try and trim it back die to budget as o was needing everything. Monitor mouse and keyboard included .

So I ended up with

AMD Ryzen 2600x
Gigabyte B450 Aorus pro wifi
Xfx radeon rx570 8gb
Corsair spec delta case
1x Geil evo 16gb 3000hz
A data ultimate ssd 480gb
Be quiet system 9 600w
Asus Cereberus mouse and keyboard
Acer KG251QFbmidpx Full HD 24.5" 144Hz

I know the graphics card is the weak link now and wished I hadn't downgraded that selection. I cant afford to replace at the moment.

Anything I can do meantime ? I tried following a overclocking video and windows didnt boot first time so that has put me off a little.
Initially I was waiting on my monitor and had it hooked to the 4k tv but the graphics card was locked to 30fps due to the tv not being compatible with 60hz and above despite being new ish.

Hope you're well.

Any help and tips appreciated. Anything I should download or games to try would he nice to hear.

Cheers

Scott

Reactions: Rensje and SWard
Hi, congratulations on researching and building that. I know its not easy the first time but that looks alright.

For future reference always buy two RAM modules so that your system can operate in dual channel mode. Its a small difference but can be noticeable at times if your CPU is under heavy load.

If you don't think the idea of overclocking is fun then I wouldn't go there. These days we are talking about gaining small amounts for a significant investment in time researching, testing and also in buying extra cooling.

It is always worth monitoring temperatures though even without overclocking. I believe Ryzen Master does this for your CPU, 95c is the max temp for your chip, you should not be getting anywhere near that while just gaming.

Google to see what temps your GPU can handle, GPU core, and VRAM are the important ones (VRM too but they can usually handle pretty extreme levels anyway), you can keep an eye on them by running GPUZ in the background while you're playing something graphically intensive and checking after a session.

If CPU or GPU is on the hot side you'll want to either create a custom fan curve for your graphics card using the Adrenaline software, and/or turn up the case fans a little using whatever software came with the motherboard. If there's no software in windows you can set the case and CPU fan speeds direct from the BIOS too.

Good luck to you.

Reactions: Oussebon and Rensje
Feb 9, 2020
Visit site
Hi, congratulations on researching and building that. I know its not easy the first time but that looks alright.

For future reference always buy two RAM modules so that your system can operate in dual channel mode. Its a small difference but can be noticeable at times if your CPU is under heavy load.

If you don't think the idea of overclocking is fun then I wouldn't go there. These days we are talking about gaining small amounts for a significant investment in time researching, testing and also in buying extra cooling.

It is always worth monitoring temperatures though even without overclocking. I believe Ryzen Master does this for your CPU, 95c is the max temp for your chip, you should not be getting anywhere near that while just gaming.

Google to see what temps your GPU can handle, GPU core, and VRAM are the important ones (VRM too but they can usually handle pretty extreme levels anyway), you can keep an eye on them by running GPUZ in the background while you're playing something graphically intensive and checking after a session.

If CPU or GPU is on the hot side you'll want to either create a custom fan curve for your graphics card using the Adrenaline software, and/or turn up the case fans a little using whatever software came with the motherboard. If there's no software in windows you can set the case and CPU fan speeds direct from the BIOS too.

Good luck to you.

Thanks for the response.

I did a little messing around with ryzen master and the radeon software for non bios overclocking just because I'm like that. But having dont stock system tests the gpu was the only component that came back with average ratings. When I did the OC the GPU came back as performing well and the CPU came back as poor. So i may revert the CPU back to stock. I've just invested in another 16gb stick if the same ram and aee how i go from there.

Thanks again

Welcome to PCGamer Forums, newcomer!

The build looks fine, but I'd refine it a little bit.
Get a 2x8GB DDR4-3200MHz kit, that will benefit your platform in the long and short run. A single stick might seem a better idea with room for upgrades but with ram upgrades, I doubt you're going to find the same stick of ram later down the road(maybe a year from now).

Are you looking at the Adata SU650? If so, ditch that and get something a little better. Oh, I would ditch that keyboard and mouse combo in favor of a regular pair of peripherals, would help in bringing down the cost of the system and perhaps allocate the money to something better.

Is it possible to state where you're located, how much you intend to spend and what your preferred site for purchase is(are)? Perhaps we could refine the build if we were granted access to PCPartPicker?

Feb 9, 2020
Visit site
Welcome to PCGamer Forums, newcomer!

The build looks fine, but I'd refine it a little bit.
Get a 2x8GB DDR4-3200MHz kit, that will benefit your platform in the long and short run. A single stick might seem a better idea with room for upgrades but with ram upgrades, I doubt you're going to find the same stick of ram later down the road(maybe a year from now).

Are you looking at the Adata SU650? If so, ditch that and get something a little better. Oh, I would ditch that keyboard and mouse combo in favor of a regular pair of peripherals, would help in bringing down the cost of the system and perhaps allocate the money to something better.

Is it possible to state where you're located, how much you intend to spend and what your preferred site for purchase is(are)? Perhaps we could refine the build if we were granted access to PCPartPicker?

I have already bought and built the rig. I have ordered a second 16gb RAM stick. And till look to get a better SSD to install the software to and use the old one as a backup.

Thanks for the reply.

Regards

Scott

I have ordered a second 16gb RAM stick.
There'd be an argument for returning that 2nd stick, selling the 1 x 16gb stick you have 2nd hand, and buying 2 x 8gb RAM as suggested above. 32gb RAM is pointless for gaming, and is money is tight then the savings on the RAM will help with future upgrades e.g. a new GPU and potentially monitor down the line.

But having dont stock system tests the gpu was the only component that came back with average ratings.
Average according to what test?

Very, very, very much the exception!

Not something anyone should recommend without knowing for a fact that that is the specific use case. So for gaming (i.e. generic, unspecified gaming) 32gb is a total waste of money. Flight simulators and the odd city sim are arguably their own category too.

Very, very, very much the exception!

Not something anyone should recommend without knowing for a fact that that is the specific use case. So for gaming (i.e. generic, unspecified gaming) 32gb is a total waste of money. Flight simulators and the odd city sim are arguably their own category too.
My point is that it is not pointless, and even if the games don't use more than 16GB, Windows will make use of it making things more responsive, as programs you often use will remain in memory, even when you close them. This is not the case if you "only have enough". Example: Right now I'm not playing any games, but I have about 10 tabs on my browser open, and I've got a video paused. Wanna guess how much RAM I've used?

Anyway, all I am saying is that it is not pointless, and I do agree that the money is better spent elsewhere. :)

I'll stick to saying it's pointless in general discussion, without adding in caveats for every niche simulation, since otherwise posts will get TL;DR very quickly. :)

In general, even a top end gaming PC with 32gb RAM is just giving a bung to Corsair, G.Skill, or whoever, with no benefit to the user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS