Time to start upgrading an iBUYPOWER PC

Sep 5, 2021
Visit site
Hi All,

I bought this PC back in mid-2017 from Best Buy as my first step into the gaming PC world from the console world -

Manufacturer: iBUYPOWER
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 16.0GB (15.9GB useable)
System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

It's been a pretty solid setup, but now that we're going on 4+ years since that point, I would like to do some upgrades to get into a 2021-2022 top-tier PC. I really don't know much about building or upgrading gaming PCs, or where I would even begin with the upgrades, so I'm all ears for any advice you can offer. Thank you!!!

Hi All,

I bought this PC back in mid-2017 from Best Buy as my first step into the gaming PC world from the console world -

It's been a pretty solid setup, but now that we're going on 4+ years since that point, I would like to do some upgrades to get into a 2021-2022 top-tier PC. I really don't know much about building or upgrading gaming PCs, or where I would even begin with the upgrades, so I'm all ears for any advice you can offer. Thank you!!!
Budget?

Oct 1, 2021
Visit site
I contacted IBP a few months ago and asked the same thing for my IBP that I also bought at Best buy in 2019 for my daughter: Intel Core i7-9700F - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER - 1TB HDD + 480GB Solid State Drive. The only thing they said I should upgrad was the RAM so I bumped it up to 32gb. I suppose you could , I dont know, swap out the VGPU, but I dont know....

Hi All,

If that were my PC, I'd be looking to upgrade the GPU to a 30 series. Unfortunately, that's probably not possible right now due to the shortage. Maybe early next year. I wouldn't bother upgrading it to what's readily available right now, the 1660's.

You don't mention your storage. If you bought this in 2017, you might not have an SSD. If not, you'll be shocked at how much better some things are, like just booting up (in seconds) or loading screens in games. I play Total War Warhammer 2 with an old friend of mine who has an old 7200 HDD, and it constantly takes him over 5 minutes longer to load into the game. I know this because Total War gives up at the 5 minute mark and makes you start over trying to connect. I consider a good SSD to be pretty critical.

The 16 GB of RAM is fine. Upgrade that if you get bored.

The CPU is not my favorite, but it's plenty good enough. It would be low on my list unless you are doing video editing or something like that.

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS